Link: Horrible News: Brent Musburger and Jesse Palmer are Lead SEC Network Announcers

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Crap! While I am no fan of Musburger, I cannot stand to listen or even look at Palmer. I suppose the mute button is my friend. As for Kirk, I suspect he will be paired with Fowler and/or Rece Davis for the featured ABC game.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Yep, going to be another year of synching Eli with the tv pictures. And I agree with those who say this is a big demotion for BM. I don't particularly mind him, step up from Verne, but I'm a little surprised he didn't just retire. Palmer I wouldn't listen to for five minutes for pay.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Why form the SEC Network if all it will show is garbage throw away games, that's disappointing to hear, I know the SEC has had a good relationship with ESPN, ABC & CBS, but, if you're going to form a network, show the Prime-Time games & let ESPN & ABC, CBS pick up the garbage games..

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
Why form the SEC Network if all it will show is garbage throw away games, that's disappointing to hear, I know the SEC has had a good relationship with ESPN, ABC & CBS, but, if you're going to form a network, show the Prime-Time games & let ESPN & ABC, CBS pick up the garbage games..

That should automatically get the SEC network in all American homes. :cool2:

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Maybe ESPN is going to re-brand there primetime SEC games as the "SEC Network on ESPN" (or something similar) and use Mutt and Palm for that. They use to do this with there "ESPN on ABC" stuff and since ESPN owns the SEC Network, I think there is going to be a lot of cross programming. Technically it is the SEC ESPN Network, based on the logo at least.

I highly doubt Mutt is going to call the Bama vs GA ST. type games or even Bama vs Vandy.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Brent is very good and gives the SEC network some credibility.

Jesse Palmer... uh... he's going to help with that Canadian demographic. Ontario is huge SEC country, right?

Palmer doesn't give a lot of good information for a color guy. Danielson and Blackledge obviously do their homework and can tell you how a team will react in certain situations. I get the impression Palmer spends most of his time applying hair gel.

It could be worse - we could be stuck with Pam from the Big10 games.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Because its not just about football, although that certainly is driving the money train here. The SEC Network will broadcast all kinds of original programming - talk shows (including Finebalm), probably some documentaries, and other news shows, they will also broadcast all other sports. So you'll see basketball (men and women), soccer, softball, baseball, gymnastics, rowing, swimming, etc.

It was never intended to replace the SEC's arrangements with CBS and ESPN. (Neither did the Big Ten Network for them).

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
That can't and won't happen. CBS and ESPN pay the conference too much money.

The pecking order of selection will still have CBS first. The SEC Network is right after that for the Musburger and Palmer game. Then ESPN and the SEC Network handle the rest. The SECN will broadcast any game that would normally be on PPV. That's a good thing.

TideEngingeer08 is spot on about the other sports, too. We will get to watch more games than we have before.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The pecking order of selection will still have CBS first. The SEC Network is right after that for the Musburger and Palmer game. Then ESPN and the SEC Network handle the rest.
That's actually a concern to me. If the SEC Network is handled the way ABC/ESPN handled the BCSCG, it could ultimately be to the SEC's detriment. Financially, it seems great to have bigger games on the network, but if the network is reaching a lot less people, it really hurts the SEC's exposure. Much like moving the BCSCG to cable lowered the ratings. It's a move that only pays off for everyone if it results in a massive subscriber base.

BigGunn

1st Team
Dec 5, 2004
Pace, Florida
I think musberger is a puke and is one of the worst in the business. He just babbles and rides his color guy throughout the game. This guy is worse than curt gowdy.

BamaGal99

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 1, 2011
I agree with others in that I wasn't eccstatic to hear that Brent was one of the announcers, but I can tolerate him. Jesse just seems to say things without knowing/thinking about them. I remember last year when he talked about how great Stanford was and Pollack reminded him that they lost to Utah. Jesse replied back with "well...they weren't playing Stanford football that night." Huh?? Anyway, I would've liked to have gotten David Pollack as an announcer instead of Jesse. He seems like he does his homework. Oh well...

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
As long as Brando stays away from the station, I am fine with it.

Palmer sometimes doesn't make sense, but hopefully he will learn. And Brent is fine, I never had a problem with him.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
It is hard to beleive that ESPN will be putting Mussberger on the SEC games and not someone like Fowler or Rece Davis. Mussberger should be doing big 10 games. Palmer was absolutely the worst color guy I have ever heard. No insight whatsoever. By putting Palmer on there, ESPN must be looking for the gay metrosexual viewers.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I'd take Palmer over Mustardburger any day - but would really prefer to have Rece and Herbie - but guess that's not happening.

My only gripe with Palmer is he seems to talk non-stop. Other than that he provides a lot of context, IMHO.

Mustardburger.....I just don't like the sound of his voice....period.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.