Spring practice Lindsay (expected to transfer),Jones, Miller not on roster...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Re: Spring practice

Help me ...Want to take my son to watch practice is it allowed.
Except for one practice set aside for REC members, the practices are closed. Media are allowed during the first ten minutes or so, but I understand that not much interesting happens then, other than to observe that "so and so" is limping. If you wanted to attend the REC practice, you could join the REC nearest you. Of course, the spring game is a glorified practice, anyway...

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA

Except for one practice set aside for REC members, the practices are closed. Media are allowed during the first ten minutes or so, but I understand that not much interesting happens then, other than to observe that "so and so" is limping. If you wanted to attend the REC practice, you could join the REC nearest you. Of course, the spring game is a glorified practice, anyway...
I assume practices were closed back in the early 70's when I was there, I never checked, but I did look through holes in the fence a couple of times. I don't know if that's possible now or not.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I assume practices were closed back in the early 70's when I was there, I never checked, but I did look through holes in the fence a couple of times. I don't know if that's possible now or not.
I think things are tighter now. I've heard that the folks who've bought condos which have views have had to sign agreements. Don't know if that's an urban legend or not. Anyway, a view through the canvas is not ideal. Trying to remember, some practices were closed in past years, but I believe Saban was the first routinely close all practices...

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

Can anyone join or is it by invitation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Can anyone join or is it by invitation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IIRC, you have to be invited by a member of the local chapter. I think they also keep the numbers pretty constant. I had a friend who was a member who invited me, after I assume, he checked with TPTB, and when you are talking about the REC who knows how high that goes???

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.

I was told that you definitely will not be accepted into the Tuscaloosa chapter if you have any association with barn fans. There have been instances where barners tried to get in by cheating and lying, (generally just being deceitful) on the membership application.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is the REC? I hear it referenced all the time, but I've never heard anyone say exactly what it is. I must have been away from TTown for too long.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

I was told that you definitely will not be accepted into the Tuscaloosa chapter if you have any association with barn fans. There have been instances where barners tried to get in by cheating and lying, (generally just being deceitful) on the membership application.
Once again, don't know about the accuracy of that. You would not be invited to join unless someone personally knew you and vouched for you. I don't know how far beyond that acceptance might come beyond your sponser (or whatever that person might be called) but no barner, making out to be a Bama fan, would even get a sniff IMO.

BTW, I'm not proposing to be an expert about the REC, but just passing on what little I know and remember from a few years ago. I do know that there are lots of legendary tales about the REC's influence and who can or can't be a member.

Last edited:

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is the REC? I hear it referenced all the time, but I've never heard anyone say exactly what it is. I must have been away from TTown for too long.
It's classified.

We could tell you, but then we'd have to kill you...

:smile:

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada

Just got to Orlando yesterday, and not a minute too soon, given the winter we've had at home...

Wearin' the colors of course, amidst a sea of FSU fairweather T-shirt fans...

Am wondering if anyone knows what the practice sched is, as I'm verrrrrrrrrrry much looking forward to following whatever reporting there will be...

Last edited:

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.

Once again, don't know about the accuracy of that. You would not be invited to join unless someone personally knew you and vouched for you. I don't know how far beyond that acceptance might come beyond your sponser (or whatever that person might be called) but no barner, making out to be a Bama fan, would even get a sniff IMO.

BTW, I'm not proposing to be an expert about the REC, but just passing on what little I know and remember from a few years ago. I do know that there are lots of legendary tales about the REC's influence and who can or can't be a member.
I heard you can't live in a rented trailer in the middle of a pasture so that would exclude most barners.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL

I'm talking to them about starting a Tampa Bay chapter. Those interested should PM me. Looking at $250 per membership.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.