Link: Awbarn axes Tony Barbee

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
"I believe we should compete for championships in men's basketball," Jacobs said in the statement. "It's time for somebody else to have a turn. We need to find somebody to come in here and take what we have here now and put some more in and compete for SEC titles."

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...rn-tigers-dismiss-coach-tony-barbee-4-seasons

It will be entertaining to see who takes that equivalent of a basketball black hole job.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Re: Barbee fired...

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-ba...ord-replacement-south-carolina-sec-tournament

Pretty classless on Aubies part to fire him at team hotel...but what do you expect from "Sunshine Pumper " Jay Jacobs. What a joke of an AD. I would hope that when/if we ever make a move it is not done in this manner. Jay Jacobs and AU = no class!
My understanding is because of spring break, the students would not be returning to campus, thus Coach Barbee would only had have the opportunity to say goodbye to his players in person by firing him when they did.

I'm not defending anyone - just explaining the reason it was done the way it was done.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Auburn B-ball fans are licking their chops about who will be next.

There was some discussion on talk radio this morning, one caller in particilar, trying to pimp Auburn by suggesting the Barn would be a great place to coach basketball or foodtball because nobody ever leaves for a better job.

Can't believe that this guy hasn't considered that EVERY ex-barn coach in basketball or football has been fired. When is the last time the Barn had a change in the coaching profession and didn't fire the outgoing coach??? Pat Dye or Sonny Smith?

Not saying Bama has a much better record, but Barners are acting like Auburn is a destination job in basketball. One caller even asked if the next coach was successful at the Barn if he'd leave if a job like Kansas came open. Doesn he really think an up and coming basketball coach would stay at Auburn and turn down a job like Kansas or Syracuse??? It would be the equivalent of a football coach choosing to stay at La Monroe and not take the Bama job.

Edit: On ITAT there is a thread about hiring Shocka Smart. Hahaha

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Barkley is on JOX right now. Here are some tidbits from his interview...

Charles Barkley, on @WJOX945, says he hung out with assistants after they learned Tony Barbee was fired. Families crying.
Barkley, on @WJOX945, reiterates what he told me last night. "The only problem I have with the Auburn program is we're not a Nike school."
Charles Barkley says six coaches texted him last night saying they want the Auburn job. He laughs because, well, he's not the AD.
Charles Barkley says Chuck Person reached out to him last night. He wants the Auburn job. Not a surprise. Person coaching in South Korea.
Charles Barkley: "I feel bad for Tony (Barbee). He got his chance, it didn't work." Says he'll support next hire.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Barkley is on JOX right now. Here are some tidbits from his interview...

Charles Barkley, on @WJOX945, says he hung out with assistants after they learned Tony Barbee was fired. Families crying.
Barkley, on @WJOX945, reiterates what he told me last night. "The only problem I have with the Auburn program is we're not a Nike school."
Charles Barkley says six coaches texted him last night saying they want the Auburn job. He laughs because, well, he's not the AD.
Charles Barkley says Chuck Person reached out to him last night. He wants the Auburn job. Not a surprise. Person coaching in South Korea.
Charles Barkley: "I feel bad for Tony (Barbee). He got his chance, it didn't work." Says he'll support next hire.
5 high school coaches and Persons??? haha

If Auburn is willing to pay somebody 1.5 million like they were paying Barbee they'll attract plenty of attention of coaches who are making peanuts in comparision. They might get lucky and hire a decent up and comer but the odds of that are slim.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

Rumor and I stress rumor is they are pursuing Pearl. There isn't any question that the Aubie job is a career killer for any coach. Name a coach who went on to another head coaching job after being a coach there since Sonny Smith. You'd have to be a fool to take it unless you are Pearl who wants back in coaching and will take anything offered I would guess.

Any team that has crowds of less than 1000 will be a challenge to turn around. Truth is the boogs could really care less about anything but football. Look we had a horrible year and we had around 10,000 at our last game. Even the lesser games had more than 5000 there.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Rumor and I stress rumor is they are pursuing Pearl. There isn't any question that the Aubie job is a career killer for any coach. Name a coach who went on to another head coaching job after being a coach there since Sonny Smith. You'd have to be a fool to take it unless you are Pearl who wants back in coaching and will take anything offered I would guess.

Any team that has crowds of less than 1000 will be a challenge to turn around. Truth is the boogs could really care less about anything but football. Look we had a horrible year and we had around 10,000 at our last game. Even the lesser games had more than 5000 there.
I've heard the Pearl talk too...many Bama fans wouldn't mind giving Pearl a whirl if Grant was gone.

But as I understand it, the NCAA show cause prohibits him from recruiting/coaching until next August. Would they be able to hire him now and then wait to August to actually become the face of the program?

I can understand why the Barn would be interested in him. Instant cred, plus he might could give the program a pulse again.
I'm a fan of what he did at UT...just not the NCAA trouble....but I've got to admit I'd like to know what he could do at Bama if he cleaned up his act, which I understand is "telling the truth" when questioned by the NCAA about secondary violations.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I've heard the Pearl talk too...many Bama fans wouldn't mind giving Pearl a whirl if Grant was gone.

But as I understand it, the NCAA show cause prohibits him from recruiting/coaching until next August. Would they be able to hire him now and then wait to August to actually become the face of the program?

I can understand why the Barn would be interested in him. Instant cred, plus he might could give the program a pulse again.
I'm a fan of what he did at UT...just not the NCAA trouble....but I've got to admit I'd like to know what he could do at Bama if he cleaned up his act, which I understand is "telling the truth" when questioned by the NCAA about secondary violations.
From Scarbinsky's column today:

In fact, if there's a school that can justify hiring a coach with any sort of NCAA baggage, it's Auburn, which has not one but two former NCAA employees on staff in Senior Associate AD Rich McGlynn and Associate AD Dave Didion.

According to a source with knowledge of the situation, Didion was the lead NCAA investigator on the Tennessee case. Which means he knows exactly what Pearl did and didn't do and what he said and didn't say to draw the NCAA's attention in the first place and how he acted during the investigation.

Didion would have an excellent first-hand understanding of Pearl's attitude toward compliance. If he were to sign off on Pearl - which already may have occurred - it would go a long way toward convincing Jacobs to go after him.
Also, Brandon Marcello (AU beat writer for al.com) reports Rick Stansbury is interested in the job. Supposedly, his people showed interest last year.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

Also, Brandon Marcello (AU beat writer for al.com) reports Rick Stansbury is interested in the job. Supposedly, his people showed interest last year.
Has there ever been member of the statewide media who shows himself to more biased than Scab's ever? He rationalizes hiring a loose cannon of a coach because the boogs have the same people working for them that saved them from the Scam situation. Is it just me or can anyone see the irony in that statement?

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006

Yeah, Didion also knows why Auburn got on probation and Cliff Ellis got fired as well because he was in the AU compliance department at the time and his tenure at AU ended about the same time but now he's baaack... I suspect it will go back to business as usual down there...

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL

The aubie hubby says au's main issue in getting a coach is the shoe situation. Under Armour is far behind in basketball. Everyone wants to play for a Nike school is what he says.

Stansberry was on a Sirius sports station he listens to, so he called a couple of weeks ago asking him to come on down to the Plains once Barbee is fired. Ugh, I'm gonna be sick if they get him or Pearl. Just sick.

Tide Rev

All-American
Mar 22, 2000
Ocean Springs, MS

I did not like $tansbury at MSU and if he is hired by the Barn, that will further my dislike for him. He would fit in there perfectly.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

The local sportscast tonight (Birmingham station, forgot which one) said Pearl is the leading candidate and could be announced in the next couple days.

TIFWIW.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.