JessN: Spring football preview: A new Crimson Tide, or more of the same?

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Spring football preview: A new Crimson Tide, or more of the same?
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
March 13th, 2014 03:19 AM

. By Jess Nicholas, TideFans.com Editor-In-Chief March 13, 2014   One of college football’s greatest attributes is its pre-programmed turnover. At least every five years, teams are guaranteed to have a completely new starting lineup compared to the ones they fielded five years prior.   For Alabama, there will be 11 positions this season changing […]

Read More Here

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Excellent. So much talent, some of it a bit raw or coming off injury.
For the first time in a long time, our defense last year looked vulnerable in the middle and slow on the edges. The real change will be if our staff sacrifices some of the beef for more lateral and pass-rushing speed.

Nose has to be better, and the corners should improve with time. Now about that line ....

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Good write up. I think however when the rest arrive in the fall thing will be very different. IE Hand, Coker, Humphrey, and Evans to name a few. I saw where Chad Lindsey may leave. I really hope he doesn't. IMO he is the better center they have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
I really cant blame chad for looking. he plays and looks like a center or guard. he is physical, and likes hit people. we have a finesse player in Kelley, and unless he adds some weight, and hits the strength conditioning hard, he will still be a finesse player. of course, its imo.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
For the first time in a long time, our defense last year looked vulnerable in the middle and slow on the edges. The real change will be if our staff sacrifices some of the beef for more lateral and pass-rushing speed.

Nose has to be better, and the corners should improve with time. Now about that line ....
yeah, i was surprised at how many yds we gave up in the middle and on the edges last year. the year before, there was absolutely nothing to be had there.

JessN

Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
For those wondering, an analysis (such as it is) of the punting situation was added this afternoon.

JessN

Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
yeah, i was surprised at how many yds we gave up in the middle and on the edges last year. the year before, there was absolutely nothing to be had there.
They're not going to ask me about it, but I don't like the Sam linebacker being a de facto second Jack.

Granted, Alabama goes to a 4-man front and a 4-2-5 look now more often than not, but occasionally Alabama will be in a 3-3-5, 3-2-6 or 4-1-6 alignment. The Sam position is the first to exit the field, typically, when Alabama brings the extra DB. But when Alabama is in base, both outside linebackers are the size of defensive ends. It's almost like Alabama was running the 2007 defense again, which was practically the old 5-2 a lot of the time. I think Saban falls in love with the bulk and strength, but as long as the HUNH offenses continue to proliferate, the defense is going to have to get smaller as a base and flex out to a bigger defense situationally. Right now, it's the reverse.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Ergo, we stuff LSU but look like the Imperial Walkers against A&M and Auburn. We have to get faster.

They're not going to ask me about it, but I don't like the Sam linebacker being a de facto second Jack.

Granted, Alabama goes to a 4-man front and a 4-2-5 look now more often than not, but occasionally Alabama will be in a 3-3-5, 3-2-6 or 4-1-6 alignment. The Sam position is the first to exit the field, typically, when Alabama brings the extra DB. But when Alabama is in base, both outside linebackers are the size of defensive ends. It's almost like Alabama was running the 2007 defense again, which was practically the old 5-2 a lot of the time. I think Saban falls in love with the bulk and strength, but as long as the HUNH offenses continue to proliferate, the defense is going to have to get smaller as a base and flex out to a bigger defense situationally. Right now, it's the reverse.

JessN

Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
In steps Tim Williams and/or Rashaan Evans, perhaps?
Definitely yes on Evans. Williams was projected as a DE out of high school, however, so the challenge will be keeping the weight off him. His frame is smaller than Devall's and Dickson's, though.

Evans probably won't be in the mix to start. But he could do what Pettway and Courtney Upshaw did as true freshmen -- not play for 80% of the game, then right at the end when the OTs are dragging tongues, in comes this wolverine with a hangnail.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Definitely yes on Evans. Williams was projected as a DE out of high school, however, so the challenge will be keeping the weight off him. His frame is smaller than Devall's and Dickson's, though.

Evans probably won't be in the mix to start. But he could do what Pettway and Courtney Upshaw did as true freshmen -- not play for 80% of the game, then right at the end when the OTs are dragging tongues, in comes this wolverine with a hangnail.
I would of figured Evans would be one of those guys that would start right away. I'm for sure Hand will.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I would of figured Evans would be one of those guys that would start right away. I'm for sure Hand will.

Get good playing time? Yes... Start? No...

It's very rare to see a true freshman of any caliber start on our defense, due to the fact it is usually quite a bit harder to learn then a normal defense. I am sure they will get their fair share of playing time, but they won't be starting.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL

It's very rare to see a true freshman of any caliber start on our defense, due to the fact it is usually quite a bit harder to learn then a normal defense. I am sure they will get their fair share of playing time, but they won't be starting.
Well I figured that a defensive linemen would have the "easiest" time picking up on it than a CB or LB. Just overall I think Hand will make the biggest impact of the incoming freshmen on the defensive side of the ball.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

Maybe the defense is just too hard?

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Maybe the defense is just too hard?
Nah.. Freshmen just need to be ready to work hard. That's why you TYPICALLY see these guys start getting minutes later in the year in more important situations, because they learn things. This past year was the exception, as we had guys playing early who probably didn't need to...but had to (Eddie Jackson is a prime example).

Yeah, the 09, 11, 12 teams had a real hard time picking it up. :rolleyes:
They weren't freshmen heavy defenses, which was the thing about our defense being tough. It is based on teaching kids NFL level techniques/schemes/formations. A freshman coming in, who was probably told "Go get us the ball" isn't used to playing assignment football in that same way. So yes, it is hard...but when you learn it you're in.

rollmjtide

Nov 11, 2013
i think we will see a new, improved crimson tide football team this year. i believe they think they have something to prove, in my opinion, and Saban will be determined to show that his defense are not afraid nor do they feel inferior against a no huddle-hurry up offense.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.