Alabama Offers SF Jeff Garrett a Scholarship

BamaMTA06

All-SEC
Sep 9, 2007
Hope Garrett turns out to be great; but he is a project, not a highly recruited player. Signing such a player means you missed on who your first preferences.
What it means is we have six returning scholarship players (including Jacobs). We have already have 5 additions to the roster. Coach Grant is using the last two open schlarship slots on players he believes can fill a void. We signed a highly skilled and highly recruited 6'8 SF in the early signing period. Hopefully Garrett can bring energy off of the bench. These are the types of players you get in the late signing period.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
What it means is we have six returning scholarship players (including Jacobs). We have already have 5 additions to the roster. Coach Grant is using the last two open schlarship slots on players he believes can fill a void. We signed a highly skilled and highly recruited 6'8 SF in the early signing period. Hopefully Garrett can bring energy off of the bench. These are the types of players you get in the late signing period.
Exactly. The most coveted players are usually gone or have a very short list by this point.

Also, comments like TideWatcher's show the battle CAG has to fight. Folks complain if he doesn't use the available scholarships. When he does, folks complain because the player is a project.

pchil86

3rd Team
Feb 16, 2014
Hope Garrett turns out to be great; but he is a project, not a highly recruited player. Signing such a player means you missed on who your first preferences.
I wouldn't quite say he is a project just because he was not a highly recruited player....we all know some players that aren't as highly recruited as other turn out to be really good players and some that are highly recruited turn out to be busts.....one example is trey burke.....he was a 3 star recruit out of high school....we all know what he did and Jeff is also a 3 star recruit

AlexD

1st Team
Jun 19, 2009
Folks complain if he doesn't use the available scholarships. When he does, folks complain because the player is a project.
I have complained for 3 years I think about not using the scholarships so I am now pumped he is. Haha
As far as projects I don't see Garrett as much of one but its players like Engstrom I do not want as projects.

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
Well, he didn't have to fight a battle with me. I supported him with my mouth, wallet, and butt. Still do. And I don't want to sound negative about the kid. Good for him. Hope he does great. Point is he(Grant) has an uphill battle, and he aint good enough to win without horses. And a lot of kids we wanted didn't have interest in Bama. When he first came they did. Interest is going down. How many game did you go to or even watch on TV last couple of years. If you went to them or watched them, I accept your rebuke.
Exactly. The most coveted players are usually gone or have a very short list by this point.

Also, comments like TideWatcher's show the battle CAG has to fight. Folks complain if he doesn't use the available scholarships. When he does, folks complain because the player is a project.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Well, he didn't have to fight a battle with me. I supported him with my mouth, wallet, and butt. Still do. And I don't want to sound negative about the kid. Good for him. Hope he does great. Point is he(Grant) has an uphill battle, and he aint good enough to win without horses. And a lot of kids we wanted didn't have interest in Bama. When he first came they did. Interest is going down. How many game did you go to or even watch on TV last couple of years. If you went to them or watched them, I accept your rebuke.
I haven't attended a game since 2011 because I've decided to save my money. I could have gone but decided I could use my money elsewhere since the games were on TV. It's very rare I miss a game on TV. My girlfriend will be sure to tell you how often I watch games.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
From BOL, Garrett signed his LOI today...

Alabama has signed the fourth member of its 2014 basketball recruiting class with recent commitment, small forward Jeff Garrett, inking with the Tide the school announced on Monday afternoon. The 6-foot-7, 210-pounder committed to the Tide on Sunday at the conclusion of his official visit.

As a senior, Garrett averaged 18.3 points, 10.1 rebounds, 4.0 assists and 2.0 blocks per game. He ranks as the no. 155 overall prospect in the nation according to 247Sports.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Maybe we should all just congratulate and welcome the kid and see what happens. My goodness, this Grant bashing gets old.
Just remember, when the guy does indeed have a big season, don't be so hypocritical as to say, "I always knew"..
I hate that hypocrisy. And it's pretty darn common around here.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Garrett is over 6'6" , over 200 lbs, looks like he can both catch and make passes, rebound, and score. I'm ECSTATIC to have him. Having an adult beverage as I type as part of the celebration of a roster upgrade.

If we can add R Worrell to Taylor, Hale, and Kessens, we may be able to avoid being pounded to dust inside the paint! Woo hoo!!

Roll Tide, Jeff!

Last edited:

rolltideallday

1st Team
Dec 18, 2011
Tuscaloosa, AL
How can people say that his interest has dropped with the recruiting classes we've had lately? I'd much rather get an athletic 6'8" guy that needs a little improvement than to have an empty seat on the bench. This is Alabama basketball, we're not going to get 4-5 top 50 prospects like we do in football. Sorry if that comes as a surprise to some people.

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
You said it; We win in football. Amazing logic. But I will even give it to you. At least you are clamoring for mediocrity.
How can people say that his interest has dropped with the recruiting classes we've had lately? I'd much rather get an athletic 6'8" guy that needs a little improvement than to have an empty seat on the bench. This is Alabama basketball, we're not going to get 4-5 top 50 prospects like we do in football. Sorry if that comes as a surprise to some people.

BamaMTA06

All-SEC
Sep 9, 2007
What players are losing interest? We've consistently gotten the best players in the state since Grant has been here. They are currently working their butts off on the 2015 class.

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
You obviously don't but I probably shouldn't have said anything. I am glad CG filled the roster. I'll leave it alone. But let me guess, you didn't go to a game this year either.
Even if I didn't, what does that prove about me as a person? What if I'm poor? What if I work/live/dwell too far away? What does that prove about me as a fan? That you're more rah rah than me? A bigger homer? Good for you! Hooray!

Or if you're referring to actually watching them in person and seeing how they are actually playing, I've seen them. There are areas to improve, no doubt. Personnel. Coaching. Etc... But Bill Battle saw fit to give this another go, and I'm going to support who we have, who's coming in, and the direction we are trying to head. No matter what. Coach Grant is not trying to sabotage our program here, he is trying to win. And yes, I did kind of want to see him go when I let my emotions get the best of me toward the end of the season (getting blown out by Auburn), but we will have a solid roster, and I will support them. Period. The bottom of my glass is not near as dry as yours. And that's OK.

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
Well, at least you watched them. I don't have any feelings of superiority for going to games so you can rest easy. My frustration is more with the fans. And I will support the team no matter what. Always have. My only point was it was like getting David Smith instead of Ricky Town. David may turn out great, I hope he does. Maybe a little bit of a football analogy will help.
Even if I didn't, what does that prove about me as a person? What if I'm poor? What if I work/live/dwell too far away? What does that prove about me as a fan? That you're more rah rah than me? A bigger homer? Good for you! Hooray!

Or if you're referring to actually watching them in person and seeing how they are actually playing, I've seen them. There are areas to improve, no doubt. Personnel. Coaching. Etc... But Bill Battle saw fit to give this another go, and I'm going to support who we have, who's coming in, and the direction we are trying to head. No matter what. Coach Grant is not trying to sabotage our program here, he is trying to win. And yes, I did kind of want to see him go when I let my emotions get the best of me toward the end of the season (getting blown out by Auburn), but we will have a solid roster, and I will support them. Period. The bottom of my glass is not near as dry as yours. And that's OK.

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
Well, at least you watched them. I don't have any feelings of superiority for going to games so you can rest easy. My frustration is more with the fans. And I will support the team no matter what. Always have. My only point was it was like getting David Smith instead of Ricky Town. David may turn out great, I hope he does. Maybe a little bit of a football analogy will help.
It's cool. Trust me, it has been frustrating. I don't know that he will, but I do think that Grant is the kind of coach that could turn it around. I just hope he does. I don't like this either. I just have a feeling that next season will be much better than this. I don't think we'll be winning the SEC, but I think we could be in the top 3/4/5 in the conference by season's end. Key word: COULD. And honestly, is top 4/5 in the conference gonna cut it? I don't know, considering we can't seem to get more than 3 conference teams in the tourney. I guess I answered my own question. LOL

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.