News Article: Alabama basketball players defend Anthony Grant, support him moving forward

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I agree Izzo is unlikely but, the hiring of Pearl has got to at least make Battle reconsider keeping Grant. Battle is a marketing genius so I can't believe he is going to let AU paint the state orange/blue with the Pearl hype.
If nothing else, it will show what one great coach can do with one miserably mediocre team in only a few years, or less. You can bet everyone will be waiting to see the results.

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL
If nothing else, it will show what one great coach can do with one miserably mediocre team in only a few years, or less. You can bet everyone will be waiting to see the results.
I completely agree. If Pearl can stay the course off the court, he will do great things on the court. Honestly, I can't see him slipping up again. He's got 15 million reasons not to.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
Guys, IMO, we are stuck with CAG for many years to come. CBB made that very clear last week. It is what it is and we better get used to it.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Guys, IMO, we are stuck with CAG for many years to come. CBB made that very clear last week. It is what it is and we better get used to it.
I didn't understand it that way, if you are talking about BB's comments about character and his support of Grant in his recent "Battle Plan" blog.

Many thought it was his way of dismissing the idea we should go after Pearl, but the fact that Battle believes Grant is a man of character doesn't mean he won't make a change to a different coach at some point IMO.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I don't see Battle reconsidering his decision because Auburn hired Pearl. He's a businessman. He doesn't want to give the impression he is reactive based on what Auburn does.

AlexD

1st Team
Jun 19, 2009
BTW the players defend Grant to the media but not outside of it and the last couple of weeks he changed up practice trying to make it more desirable for them.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Didn't read his comments that way at all, Derek. Sure, we're just speculating on where Grant really stands in the eyes of the university decision-makers. But another bad year amps up the pressure for change exponentially.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I don't think we are stuck with Grant for many years to come. I think next year is it. If he improves, he stays. If not, he's gone. We know the public reaction, but what we don't know is what has gone on behind the scenes.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I too think he is on the "hot seat" despite the eloquent "Battle Plan"!

Didn't read his comments that way at all, Derek. Sure, we're just speculating on where Grant really stands in the eyes of the university decision-makers. But another bad year amps up the pressure for change exponentially.

HendersonKYTide

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2006
I read this page every day and have kept quiet about the subject. I do understand the frustrations. I have screamed at the TV more this year than ever and left the room during the scoring droughts and thought about going to watch a Jr High game during UK vs AL because I was sure the basketball would be better on both sides. BUT, just a few years ago when 18 or 19 wins got you on the bubble and 20+ wins got you in the tourney there would not be this discussion. I do think Grant has had a very rough year and know he should have some pressure, but I am one that really believes we will see a completely different team next year. I have loved watching Rele for 4 years and think he was one of Alabama's greats but there were times this year where the team pretty much waited for him to score or get going. This does not work for any team. Teams have there down times and I hope this year was ours. It looks like we have the talent for a good run next year with transfers and incoming freshmen along with our returners. I am probably the only one that thinks 3 20 win seasons is really something to build on. I know this year got away from us, but with the schedule we had early in the season while freshmen were still learning and adjusting to college game that could happen to any team. The way we finished this year has me excited about next. Just my point of view.

pchil86

3rd Team
Feb 16, 2014
I read this page every day and have kept quiet about the subject. I do understand the frustrations. I have screamed at the TV more this year than ever and left the room during the scoring droughts and thought about going to watch a Jr High game during UK vs AL because I was sure the basketball would be better on both sides. BUT, just a few years ago when 18 or 19 wins got you on the bubble and 20+ wins got you in the tourney there would not be this discussion. I do think Grant has had a very rough year and know he should have some pressure, but I am one that really believes we will see a completely different team next year. I have loved watching Rele for 4 years and think he was one of Alabama's greats but there were times this year where the team pretty much waited for him to score or get going. This does not work for any team. Teams have there down times and I hope this year was ours. It looks like we have the talent for a good run next year with transfers and incoming freshmen along with our returners. I am probably the only one that thinks 3 20 win seasons is really something to build on. I know this year got away from us, but with the schedule we had early in the season while freshmen were still learning and adjusting to college game that could happen to any team. The way we finished this year has me excited about next. Just my point of view.
I agree with your post

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
I just want Alabama to win, period. For the glass-half full folks, you have this to think of at least (which Auburn does not have currently). A roster of talent coming in to add to the returning guys:

SR Carl Engstrom - C

SO Shannon Hale - F
SO Jimmie Taylor - F
SO? Michael Kessens - F
FR Riley Norris - F
SR Nick Jacobs - F, if he returns
SR Dakota Slaughter - F

JR Retin Obasohan - G
SR Levi Randolph - G
FR Justin Coleman - G
SR Rodney Cooper - G
FR Devin Mitchell - G
JR Ricky Tarrant - G
SR Algie Key - G

I see lots of good lineup combinations in there. We can win with that roster. C'mon, Coach Grant!

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I'd be very surprised if Engstrom or Jacobs are back. Engstrom has graduated and can make good money over in Europe. Jacobs may or may not be back. My guess is not he will not be. That leaved us with 3 true big men which yet again leaves us with a short rotation for big men. I've heard Kessens is pretty good and Tarrant is an unknown in my book. Hale is a NBA player in waiting, but he is not a true big who can stay under the basket and give you rebounds and defense. I hate having to rely on freshman.

Hoot30

All-SEC
Jan 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
I wasn't sure which thread to post this in, but did anyone see Cecil Hurt's tweet yesterday about Levi Randolph considering law school?

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Yes! Good Luck to him if that is what he decides!

I wasn't sure which thread to post this in, but did anyone see Cecil Hurt's tweet yesterday about Levi Randolph considering law school?

Last edited:

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Maybe the hiring of Pearl will force Battle to reconsider his support for Grant. One way to counter what AU did would be to at least make a run at a coach like Izzo. Once the tourney is over, why not reach out and see if $5MM and a new arena or greatly renovated Coleman would be worth listening to? Could get a coach who sells/markets as well as Pearl, knows the AAU circuit just as good and is a better coach....
IZZO>>>

You seriously think taht Tom Izzo is going to leave Michigan State?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.