News Article: Alabama basketball players defend Anthony Grant, support him moving forward

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Al.com:

"People can say whatever they want to say about (Grant)," senior Trevor Releford said after playing his final game with Alabama. "I mean, the guy is a great coach. If it was that easy, then they should come do it. I mean, he doesn't listen to it and I don't think anyone here in the locker room paid much attention to it because everybody had confidence and that's all that matters."

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
There are "players' coaches" and there are "players' coaches who don't get a whole lot out of their players and who don't know how to play their players." With the exception of Releford and one or two others over the last five years Grant appears increasingly aligned with the latter. For what it's worth, Gottfraud was a coach who got played by his players and didn't get a whole lot out of his players either. He did get to the Dance however, but for one serendipitous Stanford hiccup, he got even less out of his players in the tournament once 'Bama got there.

Last edited:

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
There are "players' coaches" and there are "players' coaches who don't get a whole lot out of their players and who don't know how to play their players." With the exception of Releford and one or two others over the last five years Grant appears increasingly aligned with the latter. For what it's worth, Gottfraud was a coach who got played by his players and didn't get a whole lot out of his players either. He did get to the Dance however, but for one serendipitous Stanford hiccup, he got even less out of his players in the tournament once 'Bama got there.
Not trying to sidetrack this discussion, but being a coach is a lot like being a parent. You can be your child's parent or you can be their "friend". One they like better than the other, but they always try, and often succeed, in getting away with as much "stuff" as possible. As a result you're always having to bail them out of their troubles. The other one isn't afraid to hurt their feelings but does what's best for them and gets more out of them. They also tend to be better behaved and more productive in life.
The same is true in being a coach. They might like you better if you try to be their friend, but you get more out of them by being their coach.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
The thing is that Bruce Pearl is a Player's "friend" also!

Not trying to sidetrack this discussion, but being a coach is a lot like being a parent. You can be your child's parent or you can be their "friend". One they like better than the other, but they always try, and often succeed, in getting away with as much "stuff" as possible. As a result you're always having to bail them out of their troubles. The other one isn't afraid to hurt their feelings but does what's best for them and gets more out of them. They also tend to be better behaved and more productive in life.
The same is true in being a coach. They might like you better if you try to be their friend, but you get more out of them by being their coach.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'm glad the players support CAG. Should we expect anything else? What player who plans to return next season going to say he needs to be fired?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
FYI: here's the article and some more commentary from the players.....

ATLANTA, Georgia — There was little joy in the Alabama locker room, but nobody was questioning the future of the program or coach Anthony Grant.

Junior Levi Randolph described the locker room as "very supportive" of the direction Grant is taking the program after his first losing season with the Crimson Tide. The season ended with a 68-56 loss to LSU in the SEC tournament Thursday to finish 13-19.
Grant was asked about the future and his status with Alabama after five season.
"That's out of my control," he said.
Freshman Shannon Hale is one of the reasons for hope moving forward. He finished with 11 points Thursday after a strong close to his first season. Hale called Grant "an amazing coach."

"He's hard on us," Hale said. "He tries to make it harder than it is in the game to make it easier in the game."

Randolph will move into more of a leadership role in his final season.
"We had a tough year, but I see growth as our season went on even though we had a tough time on the road, we showed spurts where our team had developed and we showed we're going in the right direction," he said.
Junior Rodney Cooper will also be one of the veterans next season. He looks forward to working with Grant one more year.
"He means a lot to me," Cooper said. "I came here as a freshman with him and I plan on leaving my last year with him as well."

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
It's very rare for players to not support their coach. I remember players (Brodie Croyle, Wesley Britt, others) supporting Mike Price before he was fired. I think it just the nature of most athletes to form a bond with their coach. However, I am of the opinion that CAG will get one more year. I'm not saying he deserves one more year but I think he will get one more year.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
I'm glad the players support CAG. Should we expect anything else? What player who plans to return next season going to say he needs to be fired?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
^^ This. Also, those graduating will want/need references in the future. We hope the support is genuine , but would be REALLY surprised at anything else.

BamaDynasty

Scout Team
May 9, 2003
Smyrna,GA,USA
Thanks for sharing the article. About midway through the SEC schedule I talked myself into supporting CAG getting one more year. Maybe losing TR will be like UGA losing Kentavious C Pope. They had a great SEC run this year and are much more balanced on offense. Trying to do anything to stay positive about 2014-15. No NCAA next year though and I simply don't see how you can defend him anymore. Positive attitudes go a long way sometimes and I hope these players being united and hopefully putting in the hard work from now till October pays off with us becoming relevant once again.

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL
It's not typically the things that are said by players about their coach in public that's the issue... it's what they say about them in more private settings. What's been said in public in the past week isn't consistent with what some have said in private... just saying.

Athens-LA-Tide

All-SEC
Feb 6, 2001
Ptown, OR
www.urbagedesigns.com
Glad to see this. I'm the dunce that has been sitting in the corner the last few weeks hoping we don't fire Grant! It appears Bama is keeping Grant and I'm happy about that and look forward to him whipping Coach Pearl next year! It's on!!!! RTR

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
It's not typically the things that are said by players about their coach in public that's the issue... it's what they say about them in more private settings. What's been said in public in the past week isn't consistent with what some have said in private... just saying.
Maybe the hiring of Pearl will force Battle to reconsider his support for Grant. One way to counter what AU did would be to at least make a run at a coach like Izzo. Once the tourney is over, why not reach out and see if $5MM and a new arena or greatly renovated Coleman would be worth listening to? Could get a coach who sells/markets as well as Pearl, knows the AAU circuit just as good and is a better coach....

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Oh god! Here comes the IZZO fanatics! IZZO is going to be buried at Michigan State! Next please!

Maybe the hiring of Pearl will force Battle to reconsider his support for Grant. One way to counter what AU did would be to at least make a run at a coach like Izzo. Once the tourney is over, why not reach out and see if $5MM and a new arena or greatly renovated Coleman would be worth listening to? Could get a coach who sells/markets as well as Pearl, knows the AAU circuit just as good and is a better coach....

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
First, I doubt a change would be made during the off season, if it hasn't already, but who knows?

Outside of CNS personally going with BB to Michigan St. and talking Izzo in to coming to Bama, I just don't see that happening, but again who knows.

As it stands now, I think CAG gets another year and unless we show marked improvement I think Bama will make a change.

AlexD

1st Team
Jun 19, 2009
[QUOTEMaybe the hiring of Pearl will force Battle to reconsider his support for Grant. One way to counter what AU did would be to at least make a run at a coach like Izzo. Once the tourney is over, why not reach out and see if $5MM and a new arena or greatly renovated Coleman would be worth listening to? Could get a coach who sells/markets as well as Pearl, knows the AAU circuit just as good and is a better coach...][/QUOTE]

Izzo is tired of recruiting and flat out doesn't want to do it anymore so if he leaves he is going to the NBA.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I think the window to court Izzo has closed if it was ever open in the 1st place. The fact is we will not make a move for at least one year, possibly 2. Battle believes in CAG to a fault so don't expect him to be anxious to make a change anytime soon.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Okay.. this is going little far... Ya'll just bashing CAG hard on this thread....

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
First, I doubt a change would be made during the off season, if it hasn't already, but who knows?

Outside of CNS personally going with BB to Michigan St. and talking Izzo in to coming to Bama, I just don't see that happening, but again who knows.

As it stands now, I think CAG gets another year and unless we show marked improvement I think Bama will make a change.
Izzo is 59 years old, barely younger than CNS. I just don't see his leaving MSU at this point...

Last edited:

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Oh god! Here comes the IZZO fanatics! IZZO is going to be buried at Michigan State! Next please!
I agree Izzo is unlikely but, the hiring of Pearl has got to at least make Battle reconsider keeping Grant. Battle is a marketing genius so I can't believe he is going to let AU paint the state orange/blue with the Pearl hype.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.