New Spring, Same as Previous Years at Alabama Under Saban

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Click

Trey DePriest, however, is using last season as inspiration. He was on the field when the Sooners embarrassed his defense in New Orleans, racking up 45 points and 429 yards. He was on the sidelines a month earlier when Chris Davis went 109 yards to steal an Iron Bowl win and an undefeated season away from the Tide. The last time Auburn dealt Alabama such a blow, a motivational poster was made as a reminder. “Never Again,” it read, along with a grinning picture of Cam Newton. The next year Alabama destroyed Auburn, went 12-1 and won a national championship.

“Guys are just a lot more hungry,” DePriest said. “We didn’t finish the season like we wanted to. Guys knew that and they just took a different approach to it, and [we] are trying to get back to the standard to how we do stuff.”

afadam07

1st Team
Aug 21, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
“Guys are just a lot more hungry,” DePriest said. “We didn’t finish the season like we wanted to. Guys knew that and they just took a different approach to it, and [we] are trying to get back to the standard to how we do stuff.
Now I'm Pumped! Ready for this season!

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Just listen to what Saban says....and doesn't say.

He'll tell you the straight up true status of the team's mental state, focus, and buy-in.

If he's talking about having trouble replacing last year's leaders, or he's not sure who this year's leaders are, or he's talking about needing more leaders, we have more of the problem from last year.

If he's talking about the great leadership shown by this guy, that one, and that one, and he's naming names, 2013's attitude has been adjusted. That in and of itself won't replace AJ and CJ, but it will go a long way.

Just listen to him, and take his statements at face value. The man doesn't know how to lie.

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
I feel better now for that little football fix.:ROCKER: It's not that I have a problem, I could turn to soccer anytime I want ....really.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
Just listen to what Saban says....and doesn't say.

He'll tell you the straight up true status of the team's mental state, focus, and buy-in.

If he's talking about having trouble replacing last year's leaders, or he's not sure who this year's leaders are, or he's talking about needing more leaders, we have more of the problem from last year.

If he's talking about the great leadership shown by this guy, that one, and that one, and he's naming names, 2013's attitude has been adjusted. That in and of itself won't replace AJ and CJ, but it will go a long way.

Just listen to him, and take his statements at face value. The man doesn't know how to lie.
Great post. However, Miami Dolphins fans will disagree with the last line lol.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Great post. However, Miami Dolphins fans will disagree with the last line lol.
I thought about that when I wrote the post. But I left it in because, when you look at the tape of his answer to the question, any grade school poker player could tell he was covering something up.

Lowered voice, looks away from the questioner, looks down and to his left. All classic signs of discomfort with what he's saying. Even when he tries, he just can't do it.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
What I'm looking for more than anything is an alpha male to emerge as an unquestioned leader. In 08, it was Rashad Johnson. In 09, it was McClain without question. In 2010, I don't think anyone assumed that role, although we were immensely talented. 2011, it was Hightower, Upshaw, Barron. 2012, between Barrett Jones & DJ Fluker on offense and Nico Johnson & Robert Lester on defense, we had plenty. Last year, AJ & CJ assumed the roles, but being a vocal leader, I don't think, came naturally to CJ. And AJ, well...as it has been discussed ad nauseum, not everyone accepted his style if leadership in the way that it was intended.

Our best players (Cooper & Yeldon) are also our most quiet. Our most talented defensive players (Foster, Allen, Liner) are grossly inexperienced. Aside from DePriest, I would hope that Landon Collins (my favorite defensive player on the team) would become a coach on the field to help the new guys along.

Although everything he's said since then has been to the contrary, I remember vividly during Coach Saban's first season when a reporter asked about the leaders of the team, him replying somewhere along the lines of, if everyone knows their jobs and does their jobs you don't need a leader.

We need leaders. We definitely do. Tactical leaders (i.e. Rashad Johnson) and emotional leaders (i.e. DJ Fluker). If you have both in one player (i.e. McClain), then all the better

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Mack, Nick Saban also said in that first season that his first impression of his team was that the players spent a lot of time talking about winning instead of doing the work necessary to succeed.

I take all these comments about lessons learned with a dump truck of salt. My mother was from St. Louis. Show me!

What I'm looking for more than anything is an alpha male to emerge as an unquestioned leader. In 08, it was Rashad Johnson. In 09, it was McClain without question. In 2010, I don't think anyone assumed that role, although we were immensely talented. 2011, it was Hightower, Upshaw, Barron. 2012, between Barrett Jones & DJ Fluker on offense and Nico Johnson & Robert Lester on defense, we had plenty. Last year, AJ & CJ assumed the roles, but being a vocal leader, I don't think, came naturally to CJ. And AJ, well...as it has been discussed ad nauseum, not everyone accepted his style if leadership in the way that it was intended.

Our best players (Cooper & Yeldon) are also our most quiet. Our most talented defensive players (Foster, Allen, Liner) are grossly inexperienced. Aside from DePriest, I would hope that Landon Collins (my favorite defensive player on the team) would become a coach on the field to help the new guys along.

Although everything he's said since then has been to the contrary, I remember vividly during Coach Saban's first season when a reporter asked about the leaders of the team, him replying somewhere along the lines of, if everyone knows their jobs and does their jobs you don't need a leader.

We need leaders. We definitely do. Tactical leaders (i.e. Rashad Johnson) and emotional leaders (i.e. DJ Fluker). If you have both in one player (i.e. McClain), then all the better

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.