Are Total Wins All That Will Matter? (Selection Committee Concern Cont.)

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
I understand the Wichita comparison, but here is the thing. Wichita State will never make the four team college playoff even if they never lose another game in the programs history. Unless they are allowed somehow into the big boy system. Take away all the Cinderella's in basketball, that tourney would lose a lot of appeal and probably be no more appealing to the masses than the baseball world series. Well maybe better than that but....you know what I mean....well maybe not but the cash cow would definitely be giving less milk!

College football would never allow what the other college sports do. Especially the 5 major conference football leagues who do not lose money. ;)

WalkaboutSean

1st Team
Nov 23, 2010
I wish they had kept a BCS like formula with the 4-team playoff.
I agree. The logical evolution of the BCS should have been to expand it, so that 4 teams could compete for the championship.

Instead, the BCS was completely replaced. Why? To reduce the odds of 2 SEC teams competing for the championship. Remember, it was the Bama-LSU title game that provoked this change.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I'm an advocate of the four-team playoff and was beforehand. But if I had known they were going to COMPLETELY scrap the BCS, I would have kept the BCS. I thought it was simply going to be "top four teams." Nobody otherwise REALLY - and I mean REALLY - has a complaint.

Why should it matter if you win your conference if your conference contains an immeasurably more difficult schedule than another one?

The BCS was nowhere near as good as its pontificating advocates want to claim - but it is also nowhere near as bad as the bashers claim, either. There was a series of flat out wrong choices (2000 FSU, 2001 Nebraska, 2003 Oklahoma, 2008 Oklahoma) and controversial snubs (2004 Auburn, 2006 Michigan, 2007 - the whole thing, 2010 TCU) - and yet EVERY single one of those could have been avoided simply with the top four. The only year you could really argue otherwise was 2009, when five teams were unbeaten, and I don't think one person outside the Boise city limits thinks Alabama-Texas was the wrong game.

But there is legitimate fear here. What's funny is we have a selection committee to "avoid things like 2011." Yet every single person in this country would have agreed that Alabama belonged in a four-team playoff, which begs the question of what exactly it was you were trying to fix.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
The committee choices will be extremely controversial as soon as they don't match the AP top 4. (probably the first year).

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
I agree. The logical evolution of the BCS should have been to expand it, so that 4 teams could compete for the championship.

Instead, the BCS was completely replaced. Why? To reduce the odds of 2 SEC teams competing for the championship. Remember, it was the Bama-LSU title game that provoked this change.
have two teams from the same conference met in the finals in basketball?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
have two teams from the same conference met in the finals in basketball?

Yes. Off the top of my head, it happened in 1988, when Kansas beat OU. It nearly happened in 1996 - if only Miss St could have beaten Syracuse.

And in 1985, 3 of the Final Four teams - Georgetown, St John's, and Villanova - were all members of the Big East.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.