A quick look at Tony Brown, CB for Alabama

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/i...ights_of_tony_brown.html#incart_river_default

I'm real impressed with his speed, and how quick he gets off his stance. I don't think I've seen anything like that in a while. I saw a video earlier of him working with Jackson and Jones, and while it is early, and way too early, I think He takes over the starting job at some point this season. I can't wait to see Humphrey to come in this summer and see how well he fares with Brown on the field.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
He definitely looks the part, just oozes athleticism. Already, I've read observers saying he's the biggest looking CB out there.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
He just needs the experience like the others. I remember everyone getting in Belue. He turned out to be a great CB because he gained experience.

I will say, I'm excited to have this kind of talent coming in.

Sent from my iPhone
Deion Belue was not a "great CB."

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
A great d-back can take half the field away. Just lining up and handling the opponents best receiver, one on one, gives us so many more options on game day. We need one of those. During the height of LSU's great defensive surge, it was Claiborne and Peterson on the back side, along with great safety play, that made that team a menace.

But Maurice Smith and Eddie Jackson are not chopped liver. I'm still as uncertain about why EJ didn't stick this past campaign, as Chad Lindsay. Bottom line, with Humphrey coming in, this feels like the best db group of the Saban era.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Our dbs struggles with one on one coverage (to not need help in coverage) and our struggles with the HUNH really exposed our dbs last year.

Hopefully the young, raw ones like EJ and the new ones like TB and MH will shore this area up as CNS and CKM increasingly adjust to the HUNH.

Remember that a lot of our qb pressure in the past hasn't been generated with defensive ends (that's not our scheme really) or even blitzing linebackers, but with corner blitzes. I think our weakenesses in the defensive back area limited this last year.

Looking for big improvements!!!

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
A great d-back can take half the field away. Just lining up and handling the opponents best receiver, one on one, gives us so many more options on game day. We need one of those. During the height of LSU's great defensive surge, it was Claiborne and Peterson on the back side, along with great safety play, that made that team a menace.

But Maurice Smith and Eddie Jackson are not chopped liver. I'm still as uncertain about why EJ didn't stick this past campaign, as Chad Lindsay. Bottom line, with Humphrey coming in, this feels like the best db group of the Saban era.
The boldfaced part started me wondering and my memory failed me: Who was the fourth DB the year Kirkpatrick, Barron, and Lester were starting? Was it Milliner? Menzie?
Also, who was the nickel that season?

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
The boldfaced part started me wondering and my memory failed me: Who was the fourth DB the year Kirkpatrick, Barron, and Lester were starting? Was it Milliner? Menzie?
Also, who was the nickel that season?

Menzie was a senior in 2011 over Milliner who was a sophomore. But Milliner started and got in a ton of action as a freshmen and played nickle position in 2011.

AlexD

1st Team
Jun 19, 2009
He was great until we faced HUNH. Check the tape.
Sorry but using the word "great" is being way to generous. He was good and solid but not close to great.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
With Brown and Humphrey, we're getting two Kirkpatrick/Milliner type players in the same class. But there is a difference. Brown and Humphrey, IMO, play the ball better than the aforementioned. They appear to possess natural cornerback instincts and simply look "comfortable" out there. We have had great corners, but we have not had ballhawking corners (like LSU has had), but I think we got a pair in Brown and Humphrey.

Jackson, also, I think is a very natural corner, and, once he learns the scheme, look out. In 2009 and 2011 we had the number one pass efficiency defense despite lacking a great pass rush. It was because of great secondary play, and I think we've got a another trio of studs in Humphrey, Brown, and Jackson.

AlexD

1st Team
Jun 19, 2009
With Brown and Humphrey, we're getting two Kirkpatrick/Milliner type players in the same class. But there is a difference. Brown and Humphrey, IMO, play the ball better than the aforementioned. They appear to possess natural cornerback instincts and simply look "comfortable" out there. We have had great corners, but we have not had ballhawking corners (like LSU has had), but I think we got a pair in Brown and Humphrey.

Jackson, also, I think is a very natural corner, and, once he learns the scheme, look out. In 2009 and 2011 we had the number one pass efficiency defense despite lacking a great pass rush. It was because of great secondary play, and I think we've got a another trio of studs in Humphrey, Brown, and Jackson.
I agree. Having Smith and Jackson should let us use a CB at the star instead of a safety which in my opinion is a huge help. It takes time to get your head straight and learn all the movements to play DB in college though so everyone needs to be patient.

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
beluie only had two years to deveop bama skills. he failed because of injuries his junior year, and lack of bama experience his second year. I believe that brown and Humphrey will provide what bama needs most, and and maybe not this year excellent coverage skils, and most of all toughness in support of the front seven to assist in rush coverage on the corners. first year in a while I did see good outside coverage from the linebackers and the def backs on wide plays.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.