Auburn and Pearl - (Please keep it Civil!)

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I know the other thread was closed because it started to turn negative toward Grant so let's keep this one away from that.

Bruce Pearl can coach some basketball. He proved that at UT. NCAA trouble aside, Auburn got a great hire IMO.

But here's what I came here to say: Bruce Pearl will likely use the Auburn gig to rehab his image. If he has the kind of success he had at UT (even in the same ball park) he'll likely only be there a couple of years before he moves to a more preferred basketball coaching position.

FWIW, I'd probably say the same thing if he would have come to Bama.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Re: My Take on Bruce Pearl

I always thought Pearl was pretty much a goof but he did put out some good basketball teams. I wouldn't want him at Alabama. He is the kind of person that when he belongs to a particular school, the fans love him even though they would think he was over-the-top if he was at another school.

The article mentioned that he cannot recruit until AUG 23 which may be a little bit of a setback for Auburn but if he is all they expect him to be then that is only a minor, temporary, issue.

Can he keep out of trouble?

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

Pearl will generate some temporary excitement on the plains, but if he starts to lose alot of games early, they will not show up to games. Auburn has been and is a black hole for coaches careers. Let see if Pearl can make basketball relevant there. My bet is no, even thought he is a good coach. His antics would embarass most schools, but not the boogs.

I do think he is a good coach, but I don't think he would ever had been a good fit at Bama after I heard of all the baggage that he comes with. Tons of baggage. He can't recruit until august, but does anyone really think that will stop him from recruiting privately before then? Jay Jacobs has led a charmed life with the NCAA, Does it continue with the walking violation that is Bruce Pearl?

Last edited:

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN

I don't know about the 'ton of baggage' he comes with. I know he lied to the NCAA. I have heard him speak to it, and I actually believe him when he says he knows he screwed up and has learned from it.

Sure, it may be a 3-6 year stop off for him, but that 3-5 year stretch should be fun for the barn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

I don't know about the 'ton of baggage' he comes with. I know he lied to the NCAA. I have heard him speak to it, and I actually believe him when he says he knows he screwed up and has learned from it.

Sure, it may be a 3-6 year stop off for him, but that 3-5 year stretch should be fun for the barn.

He might stay that long if it takes a couple years to get the program turned around.

If he wins fast AND stays out of NCAA trouble, I can't imagine him not getting some hefty offers 2-3 years from now.

I agree, Auburn basketball just got a lot more exciting.

Though I doubt it might happen, my worst fear is that BP wins fast, likes it on the plains, and decides he can do at Auburn what CBD did and is doing at Florida.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL

If he is successful and beats Bama year in and year out, the barn will pay whatever it takes to keep him. To say anything less, is whistling past the graveyard.

Last edited:

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN

He might stay that long if it takes a couple years to get the program turned around.

If he wins fast AND stays out of NCAA trouble, I can't imagine him not getting some hefty offers 2-3 years from now.

I agree, Auburn basketball just got a lot more exciting.

Though I doubt it might happen, my worst fear is that BP wins fast, likes it on the plains, and decides he can do at Auburn what CBD did and is doing at Florida.
Yep. I hate it, but florida is the standard for proof that an SEC school can succeed at both sports at a NATIONAL championship level. The rest of us are not even trying to play catch-up.....oh, except auburn, who just said 'why not give it a shot?'

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al

By the way after doing some research Pearl's show cause will not keep him from coaching, however he will not be able to recruit until it runs out.

Pearl and the assistants under him are banned from participating in any and all recruiting activities defined by bylaw 13.02.13, which prohibits them from contacting recruits.
However, it does allow any of the four, if they were to be hired during their show-cause periods, to evaluate talent.
Jones, Forbes and Shay, for example, could be hired in spring 2012 and have their recruiting abilities -- but not evaluating privileges -- restricted until Aug. 23. The same is true of Pearl, until the expiration of his show cause in 2014.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

Yep this was the first shot at our bow, now if he beats us as well we will have been invaded. Unless Grant can turn it around big time, we might have to get used to being the laughing stock of the state instead of them being the one.

If this doesn't raise the eyebrows of our AD, nothing will.

CrimsonChuck

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 1999
Philadelphia, PA

We could never afford to take a chance on a guy like that with the NCAA constantly breathing down our neck. Auburn can afford it because they know they can get away with it. "All in" now applies to Auburn basketball too.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed

Bruce Pearl will do one of two things at Auburn: A: Screw Auburn or B: Try to screw Alabama and/or Tennessee. This will not end well for Pearl (despite his coaching abilities) or Auburn.

This is a match made in purgatory..

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana

To me, this is a win/win for us. Pearl going to Aubie removes any shadow of a doubt that he will ever come here, and I think that would have been program suicide for us to have hired Pearl. He might have been a quick fix for a few things, but he never would have been a long term solution.

Here's my take on the Auburn situation, and why I have no issues with it at all. As others have stated, there are two outcomes for Pearl at Auburn. 1. He's coming in with high expectations, but AU has been a place where coaches go to die since the days of Barkley and Persons. Because of that there is no quick fix for that program in a day and age of expected immediate gratification. That means that Pearl will have to rebuild a dead program in a short amount of time. So he will ave to either: A. Cheat, which he has no problems doing, or B. take the time to build the program. (which lets be honest, we all know that Aubie is nothing more than a stepping stone for Pearl, which also leads me to the second option.) 2. He spends a year or two at Auburn to repair his image until the next best thing comes calling, and then he scampers sending them back into a tailspin.

Either way Auburn loses out in the long run. They may achieve some short-term success, but this will do nothing for them down the road. Never fear Bama fans, all will turn out well in the end. SNASS & RTR

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture

i dont see how anyone could see this as a losing situation for them. He will recruit well and he is great at marketing the program. He will win. Auburen isnt exactly jr college level in terms of the basketball program. the arenas they just built is decent and I can see him being there for a long time as long as they are willing to pay.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

Pearl does not have a history of learning from his mistakes. Do some searches on him an you'll find enough fertilizer to keep the whole Aubie campus green. He is a ticking time bomb. He recruited nothing but thugs at UT so he'll fit right in down there.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa

Lied to AND tried to cover up the violation. What would make me nervous was why he tried soooooo hard to cover up a minor secondary violation? Something tells me his fear was the NCAA beginning to shovel.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

Regardless of his reputation, Pearl's hiring has the clear potential of making Grant's "show me" year a lot tougher and Battle's decision a little easier.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006

Anyone else catch the ESPN home page, it has a bullet stating "UA hires Pearl" - even when they make a splash they can't garner any respect. Pearl is a good coach, will be a good promoter for their program, but I can't believe he'll stay very long before moving to better basketball pastures (pun intended). Other than making the contests more interesting to watch (some of his sideline antics rival those of Wimp), I don't see that he'll have an immediate impact as they are devoid of appreciable talent, plus I think their best player was a senior.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL

This hiring is great for Alabama. Seriously. Remember when we hired coach Saban? Remember how even though they were in the midst of a 5 game win streak and even though Tubbs did win the Iron Bowl during that 1st season, you could see the writing on the wall. And ultimately, Auburn's reaction to Coach Saban's hiring yielded them their first national championship since Betty White was toddler.

The way I see this, the attention that Pearl is getting will do two things:

1. Take the attention away from the state of the Alabama basketball program
2. Make Coach Grant work just that much harder

This is a good thing for us. It really is.

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005

I don't see that he'll have an immediate impact as they are devoid of appreciable talent, plus I think their best player was a senior.
Flashback to 2005 and this would've been the thought surrounding his first Tenn team.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.