Federal judge orders University of Alabama to pay artist Daniel Moore's court costs

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Right is Right.
UA lost. It's a case we shouldn't have filed.
Time to pay up and move on. This case was continued way too long.
RTR.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I'm in the advertising business so I can see both sides of this argument. While Moore is indeed painting what he saw
on television he's still capitalizing on the images involving U of A players, and even players from opposing teams.
At any rate, I'm glad it's done and hopefully they'll have a more iron clad agreement should they do business in the future.
sip

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
It's interesting to see how this contrasts to the whole payer should be paid debate. He's profiting off the players, but he's not paying back any of the involved parties, or offering any form of compensation. I'm not arguing he shouldn't have the right, or that Alabama should have gone after him (remember when a picture was taken off this forum by some overzealous individual at Alabama?), but it's not really a black and white issue.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
It's interesting to see how this contrasts to the whole payer should be paid debate. He's profiting off the players, but he's not paying back any of the involved parties, or offering any form of compensation. I'm not arguing he shouldn't have the right, or that Alabama should have gone after him (remember when a picture was taken off this forum by some overzealous individual at Alabama?), but it's not really a black and white issue.
Well....he's profiting off of his interpretation of the players. I don't think a creator owes his inspirer compensation. A photograph of a person that CNN buys for a story doesn't garner the person photographed any money. The girl who broke my heart doesn't deserve $ from my #1 country song.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Well....he's profiting off of his interpretation of the players. I don't think a creator owes his inspirer compensation. A photograph of a person that CNN buys for a story doesn't garner the person photographed any money. The girl who broke my heart doesn't deserve $ from my #1 country song.
You have to consider this though. If those football players painted were wearing all black with no identifying logo and the same painting were created, there would be no interest, and therefore no money for Moore to make. What makes the paintings so valuable is the fact that it IS Bama players being painted wearing the crimson and white. So, in reality, Moore is capitalizing off of Bama football rather than his own creative juices or unique creation.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
If you look on any of his paintings, there are no names on the jerseys. If did that he would be crossing the line. It's been established over and over again no one has a protected interest in their likeness in a public event, color scheme, or a number.

The problem with this lawsuit from the beginning is this where trademark law and constitutional law often conflict. Trademark law imposes a duty on to protect and defend your likeness if you maintain your exclusive right to that likeness.

It was a losing proposition from the get go.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
You could say that of any art, literature, or other creative endeavor other than the most extreme expressionism. You could also say it about the Tuscaloosa News, Paul Finebaum, Cecil Hurt, or anyone else who makes their living reporting on others.
News and journalism are completely different animals than creative expression.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
A friend of mine was the subject of one of his paintings. He once said to me, "Man, Daniel Moore has made a lot of money off of me".

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.