Some of the "hate" toward the successful in this country is mind boggling.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I'm sure it's always been like this but lately it seems there is an ever growing disdain for people who are considered successful. One of the local stories this week in our town that has been hot topic is a Fred's Dollar Store and Sonic Drive In have plans to build directly in front and beside a very nice gated community in one of the nicer areas of southeast Shreveport. The residents are extremely angry along with other gated communities in the area. They do not want these establishments around them. The Fred's Dollar Store is the one that is confusing because I can assure you their clientele isn't in this area.

One of the local news stations ran a story on it and linked it to Facebook.The link had to later be removed because of how nasty and vulgar the comments were. People were calling these folks who lived in this area some extremely vulgar names and accusing them of "thinking they're better than everyone else" and they should just shut the "blank" up and move if they don't like it. Before the link was removed I scanned down the comment section and to my surprise I knew some of the people making these vulgar statements about these people. People who are middle class, who work hard and earn what they get. Of course there were the low income people on their bashing the "mean ole rich folks" but how ironic it was that they were claiming to be less fortunate but somehow affluent enough to have internet connection and facebook. LOL!

The assumption obviously was these people just had their success and wealth handed to them. I know a lot of people who live in that area of town and all of them sacrificed and worked very hard for a very long time to get in the position they're now in. There's business owners, doctors, lawyers etc. who live in this section of town and I know not everyone of them were just handed what they have. But many who don't have what they have trash these people like they stole it from them. I was very, very disappointed in some of the people (THAT I KNOW) who had commented with such vulgar and insulting remarks about these people who simply want to protect their property values. There were two people in particular who I know very well that I'm going to ask them about it next time I see them. I just don't get the "hate" and disdain for someone who has worked for what they've got and isn't sucking off the system like many do.

They've reposted the story and cleaned out the comment section.

http://www.ktbs.com/story/24979170/norris-ferry-homeowners-not-on-board-with-new-retail-plans

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Re: Some of the "hate" toward the successful in this country is mind boggling.

IMO, there are many reasons for it.

Materialism, jealousy, inferiority complexes, and even the smear campaign that the liberal progressives in this country run against the "rich."

There is not a lot of real contentment and happiness in this country right now. And the blame lies squarely in the laps of the people complaining. We're under so much stress because of out of control debt and the ever increasing need to "keep up with the Joneses", but who is to blame for that? People long ago lost perspective. Add to that toxic mix a government that routinely blames rich people (which includes hard working business owners, doctors, lawyers, etc.) for the plight of the poor (and middle class) in this country and you get the mob mentality that manifests itself in situations like you mention.

It seems to me that people today are much worse at being obsessed with what other people are doing, instead of just taking care of their own house.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida

I term this attitude the "Democrat mentality": What other people have through their labor they don't deserve; what I get from the government I deserve.

Twenty years ago, the argument was that the poor deserved all the handouts. The same arguments are around today, but it now applies to the middle class as well. The Democrats have done a good job co-opting a lot of formerly self-reliant people and convincing them that the only thing that is holding them back is some unnamed rich guy.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

All these people want to do is protect their property values. I completely understand that. Even middle class people should understand and support that. Who wants a Fred's Dollar Store and a Sonic Drive In literally backed up against their neighborhood? I know I don't.

What ever happened to wanting people to succeed? Normally the more people who have success the more it benefits everybody. "A rising tide lifts all boats."

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009

All these people want to do is protect their property values. I completely understand that. Even middle class people should understand and support that. Who wants a Fred's Dollar Store and a Sonic Drive In literally backed up against their neighborhood? I know I don't.

What ever happened to wanting people to succeed? Normally the more people who have success the more it benefits everybody. "A rising tide lifts all boats."
I agree.

However, it is nice to be able to walk down the hill from my home and get a shake :)

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

what about wanting fred's dollar store and sonic to succeed?

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida

I understand people not wanting certain businesses near them, but the problem I have with this is that the people in question are neither buying nor selling the property. Why should they be allowed block a legal business transaction? The seller of the property is being held hostage by his neighbors.

When I was in the home building industry, I would see similar things all the time. It wasn't people blocking businesses, but new housing communities. The existing homeowners didn't want any more neighbers, preferring to retain their view of existing countryside. I understand that preference, but that shouldn't trump the ability of the landowner to sell his property.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

I understand people not wanting certain businesses near them, but the problem I have with this is that the people in question are neither buying nor selling the property. Why should they be allowed block a legal business transaction? The seller of the property is being held hostage by his neighbors.

When I was in the home building industry, I would see similar things all the time. It wasn't people blocking businesses, but new housing communities. The existing homeowners didn't want any more neighbers, preferring to retain their view of existing countryside. I understand that preference, but that shouldn't trump the ability of the landowner to sell his property.
They're not being allowed. They're just expressing their displeasure and rightfully so. If I spent that kind of money on a home I wouldn't want a Fred's Dollar store and a Sonic looking out my back window. Because property values will be effected.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA

Does this not come down to zoning laws? I agree with you in theory, but responsible town governments should not zone property for commercial use immediately adjacent to residential areas, available land permitting. I don't know any middle/upper middle class neighborhoods that want a shopping center across the street. Similar to a neighborhood prohibiting trailer homes.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

they obviously think that building store locations there will be successful.
Good luck to them. But I highly, highly doubt it. The demographics in this area do not shop at Dollar Stores. I don't care how much they dress the outside up with nice brick. The demographics in this area are Whole Food Store type shoppers. Name brand/luxury type crowd. They wouldn't be caught dead in a Wal Mart. So a Fred's Dollar Store is laughable. About the lowest these people go to is Target.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

Does this not come down to zoning laws? I agree with you in theory, but responsible town governments should not zone property for commercial use immediately adjacent to residential areas, available land permitting. I don't know any middle/upper middle class neighborhoods that want a shopping center across the street. Similar to a neighborhood prohibiting trailer homes.
This is also part of the controversy. Many of the neighbors are claiming that when they built in this area this particular property was not shown as commercial property. That if they'd know that it would have had an impact on whether they built in this area or not. So this is something that is going to be interesting to watch play out. Shreveport politics can be very corrupt so bait and switches aren't out of the question.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

This is also part of the controversy. Many of the neighbors are claiming that when they built in this area this particular property was not shown as commercial property. That if they'd know that it would have had an impact on whether they built in this area or not. So this is something that is going to be interesting to watch play out. Shreveport politics can be very corrupt so bait and switches aren't out of the question.
This means they either didn't do their due diligence researching it or they've been disconnected during city council zoning meetings.

I feel for these folks - I'd hate to be in the same situation - but the home owners could have prevented this from becoming an issue had they been proactive.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

This means they either didn't do their due diligence researching it or they've been disconnected during city council zoning meetings.

I feel for these folks - I'd hate to be in the same situation - but the home owners could have prevented this from becoming an issue had they been proactive.
I'm not sure. I will continue to follow the story because I've got some good friends who live out there and they are already talking about moving. Which I don't blame them.

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006

Can we please get back on topic of the evil rich guys, this zoning crap is boring.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham

Good luck to them. But I highly, highly doubt it. The demographics in this area do not shop at Dollar Stores. I don't care how much they dress the outside up with nice brick. The demographics in this area are Whole Food Store type shoppers. Name brand/luxury type crowd. They wouldn't be caught dead in a Wal Mart. So a Fred's Dollar Store is laughable. About the lowest these people go to is Target.
I work in marketing and several of our larger clients are what we describe as "discount" stores. You'll be surprised who shops at the these stores and the tremendous growth of the category bears that out. Everyone is looking for a bargain and convenience and these stores offer that.

Also, I'll add that there is a massive amount of consumer research and data work that nearly every decision these stores make is based on, especially new locations. Obliviously, they have done their due diligence and concluded this area is good for a location. It may not work out but the right demos are there.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

I'm not sure. I will continue to follow the story because I've got some good friends who live out there and they are already talking about moving. Which I don't blame them.
Ask away, but zoning isn't private. I know as we've been through slightly similar things here in our town and thankfully, we've been proactive enough to keep things the way we wish zoning-wise.

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007

They're not being allowed. They're just expressing their displeasure and rightfully so. If I spent that kind of money on a home I wouldn't want a Fred's Dollar store and a Sonic looking out my back window. Because property values will be effected.
There is an easy answer for their problem. Buy the property.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.