DePriest and Devall Discuss the HUNH Teams

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
This is great news. The fact that CNS is willingly to slim these guys down tells you a lot. He's willing to change the formula that brought him so much success (that is, be the biggest, meanest team in CFB), and that says a lot. It tells me he's still hungry and willing to try new things.

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
Bama nation can say they are sick of the HUNH offensive debate. Look who keep talking about a new approach to an old problem? Tells me we are going to see less Hubbards and more Sleek down Devalls, Rashaan Evans and Christian Millers in the near future. I'm excited about that as anything we do at corner back. Saban has the talent and speed at DE and outside LB to unleash the gates of Hades anytime he chooses to send them. Power thrills but speed kills. Someone probably had Derrick Thomas in mind when they coined that one.

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
This is great news. The fact that CNS is willingly to slim these guys down tells you a lot. He's willing to change the formula that brought him so much success (that is, be the biggest, meanest team in CFB), and that says a lot. It tells me he's still hungry and willing to try new things.
I remember Stallings saying something similar about CPBB how he's was willing to change with the times and style of football. It's a characteristic that winners just have.

Otherwise you're playing Beamer ball for 30 years. Good but not great.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Unfortunately it doesn't appear the rules committee is going to do anything to balance the competitive advantage that exist with the offenses so yeah, there's no choice for CNS but to adjust. Which is fine. We're just going to have to suffer through a period of football that many of us don't aren't interested in. But once the defenses adjust the offense will move to something else. Always does.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Unfortunately it doesn't appear the rules committee is going to do anything to balance the competitive advantage that exist with the offenses so yeah, there's no choice for CNS but to adjust. Which is fine. We're just going to have to suffer through a period of football that many of us don't aren't interested in. But once the defenses adjust the offense will move to something else. Always does.

This is the part that concerns me. It's very difficult to adjust to breaking the rules, or bending them just short of breaking. How do you adjust to the prairie dog offensive linemen? How can you adjust to offensive linemen further than 3 yards down the field? How can you adjust to 6 men on the line, or two guys moving simultaneously? How can you adjust to getting on the line and having the coordinator in the booth relay the defensive formation down to the field? That is the worrisome part, it's not like they are adjusting to new offensive formations, or a new pass route, they are attempting to adjust to outright rule breaking while not breaking the rules themselves.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I said in another thread, since the HUNH offense isn't going away any time soon the days of the 300+ pound DL and 240+ pound LB are in all likelihood gone. It will be about speed and strength not brawn.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
This is the part that concerns me. It's very difficult to adjust to breaking the rules, or bending them just short of breaking. How do you adjust to the prairie dog offensive linemen? How can you adjust to offensive linemen further than 3 yards down the field? How can you adjust to 6 men on the line, or two guys moving simultaneously? How can you adjust to getting on the line and having the coordinator in the booth relay the defensive formation down to the field? That is the worrisome part, it's not like they are adjusting to new offensive formations, or a new pass route, they are attempting to adjust to outright rule breaking while not breaking the rules themselves.
Well the first step will be putting leaner/faster players on the field which we're doing. Second will be streamlining process on the sidelines that enable players to get on and off the field faster. How do we do that? I have no clue but that's going to have to be done. We're going to have to substitute for endurance more than for situations. LSU has found a way to still substitute against these HUNH teams and have very good success against them. I wouldn't take any notes from their clock management but I think we'd be smart to see what they're doing to still be able to rotate guys in and out. But I know when I watched them play HUNH teams they seemed to have no problem running guys on and off.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Bama's scheme hasn't really been the problem. The personnel has, though. The players seem to be getting into shape to face the HUNHs. Add that to Bama's scheme, and Bama will be fine. Those issues won't be a consistent problem with the right scheme and personnel.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Faster LBs to cut off angles and quick twitch defensive lineman that can penetrate AND push the pocket will go a long way.

Totally agree with Buzzard that the substitution methods will have to be re-thought and better managed. Surely it's possible, you just start with position groupings along the sideline and much more awareness. Still have to go out there and execute, of course, but I like our chances.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I said in another thread, since the HUNH offense isn't going away any time soon the days of the 300+ pound DL and 240+ pound LB are in all likelihood gone. It will be about speed and strength not brawn.
I'd have to disagree with that statement. Robinson was our best DL this year and he's 320. CJM was our best LB and he's 235-240. Even Foster is 240 and he's super quick.

I think the real answer is that you need some of both. You need the big stout guys on the inside, AND speed on the edge. It means guys won't be quite as interchangeable though. Auburn's IZR/OZR scheme (and TAMU scheme of 2012) will eat up any team that can't clog up the middle, so we can't neglect that aspect.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Totally agree with Buzzard that the substitution methods will have to be re-thought and better managed. Surely it's possible, you just start with position groupings along the sideline and much more awareness. Still have to go out there and execute, of course, but I like our chances.
This is where Ellis Johnson was so good at Auburn last year. They rotated the entire DL at one time. With the depth at DL, Bama can do that with the 1's and 2's along with a mix of the two groups.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I think the game is trending in this direction at a lot of schools but I don't think they are gone. We are still going to need the big DL and LB's when we play LSU, GA, FLA, ARK in our league. When you have 310-330 lb OL coming at you with a big FB and 2 TE's you are still going to need these guys. I think we saw this split up in size in this last recruiting class. We signed a bunch of 300+ lb DL and some 230+ lb LB's.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.