Official NCAA Tournament Thread

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Sip, I'm with you on Tyndall (not necessarily the need to fire Grant and go after him - yet). But the amazing thing to me is that it's been 10 years since Tyndall's predecessor at USM, Larry Eustachy, had his "Mike Price moment" that landed him in Hattiesburg in the first place. Remember? "A kiss is just a kiss" - unless it's with Missouri coeds and you're (Eustachy) the highest-paid employee in the State of Iowa. Can still coach, though - this was the first year since he got there that Colorado State didn't make the field of 64 (67, whatever).
I think USM earned the right to be there this year. They are really good. Built on quality Juco players who can do it.

IndyBison

1st Team
Dec 22, 2013
Re: NCAA Basketball Tournament

http://tide991.com/files/2014/03/Houston_and_Huber_032414_Gene_Taylor.mp3

Good interview on your local media with our athletic director.

As for Saul, he's not just a one win wonder. He coached under Bo Ryan at Wisconsin and Tim Miles (now at Nebraska) at NDSU. He led them to the tournament in the first year they were eligible (2009) and they have Kansas a very close game. He may need more experience to go to a conference like the SEC but you could definitely do a lot worse. The biggest issue he would have is familiarity and recognition outside the upper Midwest. The USM coach would be much better for that reason.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al

Dayton is running circles around Stanford. Dayton plays fast and they can shoot. Dayton is my new Cinderella.

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL

If UF wins tonight, it will be their 4th consecutive Elite 8. Now that's success, right there. Tip of the cap to Billy Donovan -- great coach.

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL

SEC 8-0 now with a couple tough ones tomorrow night --- don't think TN will beat Michigan, but stranger things have happened. I expect the KY/Louisville game will be a heckuva game....

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
Southern Miss beat them 70-69 at home in N.Dakota, THIS season, has an overall RPI of 39, and has a 29-6 record heading into the semi-finals of the N.I.T., after becoming the first non-conference team to beat Missouri at home in nine years.
So do you want THIS guy, or the USM coach?
Do you really want a "One win wonder" ?
Come on man. Do you really think we should fire Grant and hire this guy?
Seriously. sip
Yes. He did all of that with lesser talent than USM or even us. I like his style of play and he gets the most out of his players. Heck, look what we have got with a "proven" coach.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

And a "football school" at that. I just wish our AD had that type of foresight.
Donovan had time to develop his program. In his first five seasons he had two losing seasons and won 101 games.
Coach Grant has had one losing season and has won 99 games.
That's really not that overwhelming of a difference in first five year performance.
And it's kind of ironic. Our AD may not have had the foresight to hire someone other than Anthony Grant, but Billy Donovan didn't have enough foresight NOT to hire him either, because he hired Grant as his top assistant.
Florida's AD, that you speak of so highly must not have had much foresight, because he hired Grant to be Florida's next head coach, until Donovan changed his mind about taking the Orlando Magic job.
Even more ironic--Florida hasn't won a national title since Grant left.
There's an awful lot of "non-foresighted" people involved in your equation :)
sip

Last edited:

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)

They're struggling when they shouldn't be. This should be an easy one...
I haven't watched a ton of UF games but they seem to struggle at times in most of the games I've seen. They manage to maintain a tough defense throughout and take over during the last 5 minutes or so of the game. I've noticed a big change when the point guard goes to the bench and when the big guy goes to the bench. They don't have a lot of muscle inside except for one player.

The French guy does a lot for them as well but is over-shadowed by the shooters and scorers. He is comfortable playing the free throw area when teams go zone defense. He is very mobile and active on defense and smart with his passes.

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States

Donovan had time to develop his program. In his first five seasons he had two losing seasons and won 101 games.
Coach Grant has had one losing season and has won 99 games.
That's really not that overwhelming of a difference in first five year performance.
And it's kind of ironic. Our AD may not have had the foresight to hire someone other than Anthony Grant, but Billy Donovan didn't have enough foresight NOT to hire him either, because he hired Grant as his top assistant.
Florida's AD, that you speak of so highly must not have had much foresight, because he hired Grant to be Florida's next head coach, until Donovan changed his mind about taking the orlando Magic job.
Even more ironic--Florida hasn't won a national title since Grant left.
That's an awful lot of "non-foresighted" people involved in this equation :)
sip
Sorry to be "nit-picky" , but CAG wasn't on CBD's 2nd NC team. Still all other great points.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)

The UM player flopped and the ref fell for it. Looking at replays it does not appear to me that Stokes's shoulder even touched the chest of the UM player; Stokes was slipping past him. Too many 3's early in the game for UT to overcome. too bad

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
TERRIBLE call on Stokes....terrible!

But then UT doesn't foul afterwards - trying to force the turnover. :conf3:

Meanwhile clock is ticking.....

Poor coaching there at the end.....they could have won it...maybe. :rolleye2:

Now Louisville and UK......

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.