Greg McElroy retires and joins the SEC network

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Re: Greg McElroy announces his NFL retirement via Twitter

Greg indicated during his last year at Alabama that someday he might get into politics.
(I personally think he'd be wasted as a politician... Better future in football.)
Wish him the best.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL

Well good luck to him with his future. It really sucks though he went to the Jets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

He never really got a fair chance in NFL, and I am little sad to see him go. I blame Buddy Ryan for screwing this up. He'll be fine whereever he goes!

RJ YellowHammer

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
Memphis, Tn

There's no telling what Greg McElroy will accomplish. It might not have anything to do with football. He's a really capable guy.

As a player he's one of my all time favorites, right up there with Derrick Thomas and David Palmer. A couple of my favorite GMac moments: 2009 Arkansas game - with Bama up by 4 or 5 TDs in the 3rd Quarter an Arky D-lineman got a shot in on Greg and got up jawing. As the play continued to develop down field, GMac points at the scoreboard and, literally, lets him know the score. 2009 SECCG - pretty much the whole game.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com

I remember in his first spring when he was an unknown that few even knew was on the roster. He took the field late in the day when the stadium was mostly empty and led a furious drive culminating in a touchdown pass under pressure while rolling to his right. I knew who he was and knew he was only a three star player but I thought to myself then that he was someone I needed to keep an eye on. This is why I stay and watch the entire A-Day game. You see the future.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

G-Mack didn't have the arm to be an NFL QB but he was so smart it gave him a chance. He'll be better off as an ESPN analyst, which I expect him to be very soon. If not, he'll probably make a billion dollars in business. Kids a winner, and it will pay off for him. I appreciate his efforts when he was at UA. His "dance down the sideline" first down, against Florida, in the SEC title game, was one of the greatest efforts I've ever seen.
I wish him the best of luck. He won't need it.
sip

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK

My 2 Cents: UA needs to hire Greg and put him in the Athletic Dept. in a capacity that will train him in all of the facets of running a Big Time program. He has the business degrees and sports knowledge not to mention the carisma needed to become a great sports agent.
Ftfy. I agree with everything you just said, and maybe one day Greg will want to be an AD somewhere, but not this young. He wants to get out there and meet new people. I can see rather easily that he may want to do some type of sports representation. Maybe thats in front of the cameras, maybe not. I hope he gets hired by the SEC network so Tim Tebow and Greg McElroy can announce SEC games together lmao. Maybe even rerun games too!

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2014/03/greg_mcelroy_to_join_sec_netwo.html

"I hope they know that when I go down there, I'll be going with a very professional manner," McElroy said. "I'll be going to cover the game and be unbiased and tell what I really think. I think the world of every one of those schools and there's not one school I like more than any other. Of course, I went to the University of Alabama and I loved my time there, but at this point going forward, I'll have an unbiased opinion and will enjoy covering the game in a neutral way."

Interesting words from GMAC. It seems he is talking to the fans (Bama fans) and prepping them that he's not going to be a homer and be biased towards Alabama.

Last edited:

tidegrandpa

All-American

There's no telling what Greg McElroy will accomplish. It might not have anything to do with football. He's a really capable guy.

As a player he's one of my all time favorites, right up there with Derrick Thomas and David Palmer. A couple of my favorite GMac moments: 2009 Arkansas game - with Bama up by 4 or 5 TDs in the 3rd Quarter an Arky D-lineman got a shot in on Greg and got up jawing. As the play continued to develop down field, GMac points at the scoreboard and, literally, lets him know the score. 2009 SECCG - pretty much the whole game.
I remember the 09 BCS, the first drive he was sacked, and GMac staring down Barrett Jones all the way back and inside the huddle. I think he got his point across. He was a competitor.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

Well neither is Reece Davis, but we all know where his true allegiance lay.
I envision McElroy to be a lot like Herbstreit in that he will have no qualms at calling it like it is even if it's toward his own. I think GMac is just covering his bases and laying some groundwork on what to expect from him.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006

I envision McElroy to be a lot like Herbstreit in that he will have no qualms at calling it like it is even if it's toward his own. I think GMac is just covering his bases and laying some groundwork on what to expect from him.
Exactly. He's a young Herbstreit; very heady and classy guy. Don't expect him to just dote on Bama, like Herbstreit isn't a homer for OSU.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.