HBO RealSports Investigates for 6 Months on Education of Athletes

BAMALEEBO

Scout Team
Nov 26, 2006
Deatsville, Alabama, United States
"Another example would be Courtney Upshaw's interview after the 2011 BCS National Championship game against LSU. I was sitting there thinking "Lord somebody please get this man away from the mic."

I was embarrassed!!!!! That was awful!!

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
"Another example would be Courtney Upshaw's interview after the 2011 BCS National Championship game against LSU. I was sitting there thinking "Lord somebody please get this man away from the mic."

I was embarrassed!!!!! That was awful!!
Another example would be Courtney Upshaw's interview after the 2011 BCS National Championship game against LSU. I was sitting there thinking "Lord somebody please get this man away from the mic."
I know what y'all are saying when he was on the podium, I just thought he was pumped up on adrenaline & came off worse than he usually is in interviews, go to the 25:10 mark of this video below & listen to his one on one interview, after winning the NC against The Swamp Kittens..He is more relaxed & comes off really differently..

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX
"You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make him drink."
Personal responsibility is still important and coaches may have the best intentions but the dreams of NFL millions override common sense. Sad, but the individual athlete can make the choice or not to take advantage of all his opportunities. It starts at home and if the groundwork is not established early, the prodding in college may not be enough.
^^^Agreed^^^
I knew several athletes when I was at the Capstone and athletes have more than enough resources available to them to succeed. More than the average student. If they want an education, they have everything they need to be successful.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
I know what y'all are saying when he was on the podium, I just thought he was pumped up on adrenaline & came off worse than he usually is in interviews, go to the 25:10 mark of this video below & listen to his one on one interview, after winning the NC against The Swamp Kittens..He is more relaxed & comes off really differently..

Upshaw seemed intelligent enough in that clip. The "touch that thang fo" quote is funny but I don't think indicative of his intelligence.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I disagree. It's not determined by the character and integrity of the school or the coaching staff but by the character and integrity of the individual/athlete. The education is there at almost all of the schools if the athlete wants to put in the work, but many (most?) don't. I guarantee there are players who have graduated under Saban and lack a good education because they decided not to put in the work. The opposite is true as well.
My point is simply that some coaches emphasize attending classes, study hall, etc.
Coach Saban is one of those. I believe our graduation rate among players is very high on a national level.
True, some do better than others academically, just like some players turn out to be better than others on the football field.
But there are some schools who seem to care less about academics for their athletes than others.
I don't think we're one of those.

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX
Upshaw seemed intelligent enough in that clip. The "touch that thang fo" quote is funny but I don't think indicative of his intelligence.
We had quite the debate on what he was actually saying. I thought it was "Touch that thang folk" but I think he was saying "Touch that thang 4" referring to Barron.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
We had quite the debate on what he was actually saying. I thought it was "Touch that thang folk" but I think he was saying "Touch that thang 4" referring to Barron.
Richard Sherman is a Stanford Graduate and one of the most intelligent players in football. How articulate did he sound post game after they beat San Fran? When these athletes are still pumped isn't the best time to interview them.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Exactly..If I just won a NC at Bama & they stuck a mic in my face as I was celebrating..I sure hope the person that does the censor button during live interviews is quick with the trigger..Cause I'd be saying some F-Bombs quick & furious..LOL
Richard Sherman is a Stanford Graduate and one of the most intelligent players in football. How articulate did he sound post game after they beat San Fran? When these athletes are still pumped isn't the best time to interview them.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.