News Article: Alabama Basketball Looking Forward: The New Guys

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
RollBamaRoll:

Alabama currently has three four star signees for this year's recruiting class. G Justin Coleman is one of the most highly rated recruits out of the state of Alabama in recent years. An upcoming graduate from Wenonah High School, Coleman is definitely a point guard, and has been a very good one in high school. The guy can really handle the basketball, and his ability to score and play defense are really surprising when you see his size. That will be his biggest question mark going forward, however. At only (a generously listed) 5'10 150 pounds, Coleman is going to be really challenged at the next level with his small frame, but the guy can ball. His passing and his ability to drive are fantastic, and his quick hands really stand out defensively.
Alabama Basketball Looking Forward: The New Guys

pchil86

3rd Team
Feb 16, 2014
Good article.....this roster seems promising....will have to wait to see the progress made by the returning players and if the freshmen live up to the hype but could be a really good roster

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Good article.....this roster seems promising....will have to wait to see the progress made by the returning players and if the freshmen live up to the hype but could be a really good roster
The main issue with Grant, is that for what ever reason, the most promising Alabama teams fall apart. Looking at this team at the end of last year, and the lack of seniors, it seemed a given it would be a top notch SEC team. But, as usual things went awry.

The 11-12 team should have been fantastic. They barely lost anyone from a 25 win, first in the west, NIT runner up team. But, Green and Mitchell got in trouble, and the team backed into the NCAA tournament without Tony. Last year you saw a 23 win Alabama team that graduated only one person and didn't have anyone leave for the NBA. Yet, there was a massive regression.

I don't think the issue with Grant is his coaching, I think it has to do with his handling of players. Hopefully though, things come together but I was enthusiastic at the end of last season...

pchil86

3rd Team
Feb 16, 2014
The main issue with Grant, is that for what ever reason, the most promising Alabama teams fall apart. Looking at this team at the end of last year, and the lack of seniors, it seemed a given it would be a top notch SEC team. But, as usual things went awry.

The 11-12 team should have been fantastic. They barely lost anyone from a 25 win, first in the west, NIT runner up team. But, Green and Mitchell got in trouble, and the team backed into the NCAA tournament without Tony. Last year you saw a 23 win Alabama team that graduated only one person and didn't have anyone leave for the NBA. Yet, there was a massive regression.

I don't think the issue with Grant is his coaching, I think it has to do with his handling of players. Hopefully though, things come together but I was enthusiastic at the end of last season...
We graduated one person (Andrew Steele) but lost Lacey and Gueye to transfer and Devonta Pollard to off court issues with police investigation....so technically we lost a total of 4 players....2-3 of which were regular starters last year.....a drop off was expected but maybe not quite this much of a drop off but u have to remember how tough of a schedule we played....we were at least competitive in all of those games and didn't get blown out which in my mind is a mark of good coaching

bamadp

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2006
Sheffield, Al.
While our offense was painful to watch at times this season, it was not our biggest problem. We actually scored almost 5ppg more this year than last. But we gave up almost 10ppg more this year than last. Combine this years offense and last years defense and we win 20+ games and are in the NCAA tourney easily. Our biggest problem was lack of defense, particularly inside and rebounding. Unless we can shore up our inside game, no matter what offense we run or how good our guard play is, just like football, it won't make up for no defense. While I believe Taylor and Hale will be above average SEC players, both will be sophomores. Kessens sounds good but has never played an SEC game before. We'll have little experienced depth either. We'll have to wait and see how it pans out, but trying to build a team on a shaky foundation does not bode well for next year. CAG and staff didn't "forget" how to coach defense, but the loss of Pollard and Jacobs was a setback that will have to be addressed first and foremost. Fans should temper their expectations for next year...but the year after that... :wink:. RTR

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I hadn't thought about the possibility of Engstrom not coming back for next season. This plus the likely loss of Jacobs helps explain the couple of offers Coach Grant has out for players available for next season as it looks like he may have plenty of scholarships available for next season.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
We graduated one person (Andrew Steele) but lost Lacey and Gueye to transfer and Devonta Pollard to off court issues with police investigation....so technically we lost a total of 4 players....
Right, and two of those (along with his inability to have enough recruits to fill the necessary gaps) deal directly with his handling of players. In the least he needs to have a Nick Saban like approach, in which he recruits anticipating departures. Grant had unused scholarships last year, I'm not sure what good those did anyone.

To me it all goes back to who he recruits, how he recruits, and how he handles these kids once they are on campus. There have been plenty of behavioral issues, and transfers, but he's getting paid to keep those to a minimum.

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
Yes, we did play a tough schedule and were competitive. But we also lost to teams we should beat. Drexel, @ South Florida, @ Auburn, @ South Carolina, @ Texas A&M. Win those 5 and we're 18-13. Not great, but something closer to what we should do.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I hadn't thought about the possibility of Engstrom not coming back for next season. This plus the likely loss of Jacobs helps explain the couple of offers Coach Grant has out for players available for next season as it looks like he may have plenty of scholarships available for next season.
Actually, the Engstrom leaving has been out there all season. He's answered equivocally when asked directly. He has his degree. He can go and play in Europe, closer to home, immediately - and his play and style fits there better, anyway. Add to that the ACL injury and the possibility of another. I'd love to see him stay, but, if he did, I'd have to question his sanity... :)

Last edited:

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Actually, the Engstrom leaving has been out there all season. He's answered equivocally when asked directly. He has his degree. He can go and play in Europe, closer to home, immediately - and his play and style fit better, anyway. Add to that the ACL injury and the possibility of another. I'd love to see him stay, but, if he did, I'd have to question his sanity... :)
This sounds familiar now that you mention it. I must have let it slip past a memory bank.

There were stretches this season when I really noticed improvement in Engstrom and I was hoping to see him continue to improve at the same pace. He hasn't reached the point of reacting and making plays outside of "basic basketball 101". When a person thinks slow (relative to more experienced players) and is not physically quick it adds up to some missed plays. He mainly needs more time playing the game to speed up the thinking aspect. I love the way he runs the court and holds his ground; I think he has some significant upside.

As for the new players and last year's transfers to the team, I'm anxious to see them play.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
This sounds familiar now that you mention it. I must have let it slip past a memory bank.

There were stretches this season when I really noticed improvement in Engstrom and I was hoping to see him continue to improve at the same pace. He hasn't reached the point of reacting and making plays outside of "basic basketball 101". When a person thinks slow (relative to more experienced players) and is not physically quick it adds up to some missed plays. He mainly needs more time playing the game to speed up the thinking aspect. I love the way he runs the court and holds his ground; I think he has some significant upside.

As for the new players and last year's transfers to the team, I'm anxious to see them play.
If he stayed, he could be very valuable in giving Taylor blows on the bench. And he has shown a lot of improvement. He will always have "blue-eyed reflexes." There are always going to be times you can't figure out why he couldn't hold on to that rebound. But, he's a lot better. If he stays, I can only believe that he's fallen in love with UA and living in Alabama...

BamaBuff24

1st Team
May 2, 2000
FWB, FL USA
If he stayed, he could be very valuable in giving Taylor blows on the bench. And he has shown a lot of improvement. He will always have "blue-eyed reflexes." There are always going to be times you can't figure out why he couldn't hold on to that rebound. But, he's a lot better. If he stays, I can only believe that he's fallen in love with UA and living in Alabama...
I am sure there are some pretty sites at UA.

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
I am excited about the 2 transfers and 3 incoming freshmen when they are added to the mix of returning players. We still need another 5 player that is not a project. We also have to hope that we do not have anyone to transfer out. Hopefully, Coach Grant and team can make considerable progress next season.

BamaMTA06

All-SEC
Sep 9, 2007
Right, and two of those (along with his inability to have enough recruits to fill the necessary gaps) deal directly with his handling of players. In the least he needs to have a Nick Saban like approach, in which he recruits anticipating departures. Grant had unused scholarships last year, I'm not sure what good those did anyone.

To me it all goes back to who he recruits, how he recruits, and how he handles these kids once they are on campus. There have been plenty of behavioral issues, and transfers, but he's getting paid to keep those to a minimum.
College basketball isn't like football. Most teams don't use all of their scholarships. This is why UNC had a walk on starting PG when Kendall Marshall went down with an injury. Alabama has about the same amount of transfers as all other college programs. The majority of a basketball signing class is final in November. It's a bit complicated to anticipate transfers when you've gotten the majority of your commits in the summer before your season starts. Coach Grant's anticipation of transfers is why we've offered who we have for the Spring

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
One of the things that I've noticed about the Sweet 16 teams is that they seem very physical, mature, and smart. They all seem to have excellent rebounding and post play. Those are some things that set teams apart.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
One of the things that I've noticed about the Sweet 16 teams is that they seem very physical, mature, and smart. They all seem to have excellent rebounding and post play. Those are some things that set teams apart.
Even with Wichita's loss, lots of veteran teams that have gotten better by playing with each other over time. Even with our core of three, our year was certainly an exception to that rule.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I was actually talking about just the obvious physicality of the teams. They seem to have "men" on their teams not just the cohesion.

Even with Wichita's loss, lots of veteran teams that have gotten better by playing with each other over time. Even with our core of three, our year was certainly an exception to that rule.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
And they all shoot the ball well. Case in point, North Dakota State.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.