Question: How can Blake Sims be used?

Dakotatider

1st Team
Sep 20, 2005
Look, I heard him say (in some random presser) that he does not think he will be a starter but he will be given every opportunity. But i think from what i have heard is that he is doing way better than anticipated. there is no need to read between the lines or anything. It was a observation albeit a cursory look at the QB situation. If he comes out blazing it up then more power to him. But I love this type of problem. Problems like this having several very capable QB's are great.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Sims could be used a lot like Tee Martin was after Manning left. If I remember correctly Martin (from a passing perspective) wasn't asked to do what Manning did. They picked their spots, played to his strengths and let the other amazing talent around him do the rest. Martin wasn't a natural passer either. But they didn't put him positions to where he had to carry the entire team.

Until Coker is actually on campus and taking snaps he's not apart of the equation. So my mindset is the competition is between the quarterbacks currently on campus and Blake Sims more than likely has the edge over all of them.

bamaslaw

All-SEC
Jan 16, 2005
Atlanta, GA
If anyone thinks Coker has already won the position, I don't think they understand the way Nick Saban works...

That said, I'd put it at 80/20 that Coker is the starter midway through the season. I REALLY want Sims to win the job though (not have it handed to him because he's a senior, but win it)

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Guys, stop comparing to the past. This is new year, new coaches, new offense.... BS isn't going to get a fair shake, no matter how hard he works...unless he improved 150 percent between now and fall. Ever thought about for a moment Blake is content with where he is at this point, and could be focusing on getting a degree?Just a thought. Coke have so much upside to his game than most of the qbs, except for cornwell. Like I said in the previous post, Kiffin is wiping the plate clean for all of the qbs, so we don't know how much they improved until the first scrimmage.........
I'm a bit confused about this statement. How is he not going to get a fair shake unless he improves?

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
Just curious, CrimsonForce, apart from the fact that CNS is bringing in a QB from JUCO, what else has he done or said that makes you think he doesn't "trust" Blake Sims? Has he made some comment insinuating that? Because if he has, we'd love for you to share it.

Remember, Leon Brown was a JUCO and did not earn the starting job. As was *ahem* Duron Carter. He brings in JUCO if he thinks they are ready to play, to provide competition, but at the end of the day the job goes to the best player. Austin Sheppard proved better than Leon Brown in practice, thus he was the starting RT in 2013.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Why would Coker even transfer to Alabama is it wasn't his job to lose. He has one last chance to be a college quarterback and if he didn't think he was going to be the starter I'm sure he would have went else where. With Jimbo Fisher being Saban's former OC and giving Coker as high of praise as Jimbo has.... I'm sure he is the real deal. I mean he bare was beat out by Winston and he won the Heisman. Has he proven anything yet...no. Has Blake proven anything yet? No, just because he has been on the team and as some people say "put in his due" is crazy. We are here to win football games, not just give someone the job bc he has out his time in.
Maybe because he felt he might at least have an opportunity at Bama. He was never going to start at FSU and he knew it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.