Question: How can Blake Sims be used?

Dakotatider

1st Team
Sep 20, 2005
I have been thinking about this.

1. Running Back motion in Flanker?
  2. Flanker end around and when given a ball throw it to a open Receiver/TE.

I think he has some elusiveness and using him could be a benefit in situations. If he indeed is getting better passing. Use that ability to catch people off guard. maybe have Coker or Cornwell whoever is number one go to a side lines but little did they know Blake is out there in a formation quick snap and get some yards.

I would love to see him in situations. But this is a off season thread just a thought!

Dakotatider

1st Team
Sep 20, 2005
It's been said even by Nick Saban that he is not going to be the First String so i assume that he is going to be given a chance but it will not change. That is the whole reason why Coker had been recruited and is coming in the fall..

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
It's been said even by Nick Saban that he is not going to be the First String so i assume that he is going to be given a chance but it will not change. That is the whole reason why Coker had been recruited and is coming in the fall..
When did Saban say Blake won't be the starter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I'm not privy to any statements by Saban that indicate he's not going to have a shot at starting but in the film I've seen on him the ball comes out really low. My concern is getting a high rate of passes batted back into his face. Teams will key off that, stop rushing and just get their hands up.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
You gotta read between the lines bro
I read a few lines. First, I checked the stat lines. No QB on campus has done more than Blake, not even Alec Morris. Then, I checked the lines of the article where Saban said Luke Del Rio passed all QBs other than Blake. Thus far, no QB on campus has done anything to pass Blake Sims.

What lines do you suggest I read between to see your point?

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I have a question for you more knowledgeable football minds about Sims throwing motion & mechanics..When he throws the ball he has a horrible throwing motion, he looks like a baseball pitcher, that has a sidearm throwing motion..Even to my untrained eyes, I've noticed it, and has to be a big part of his throwing accuracy..It's like Tebow 2.0..Can it be corrected, I ask this, is because even the NFL Coaches never could correct his throwing mechanics..And that flaw in Sims throwing motion & mechanics, is why I think he'll never become our starter at QB, do y'all agree & have seen what I'm talking about when Sims throws the ball???

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I read a few lines. First, I checked the stat lines. No QB on campus has done more than Blake, not even Alec Morris. Then, I checked the lines of the article where Saban said Luke Del Rio passed all QBs other than Blake. Thus far, no QB on campus has done anything to pass Blake Sims.

What lines do you suggest I read between to see your point?

If you can't decipher coach speak then I can't help you out. AJ was not second string when GMac was starting but would have been first one off bench if needed. CNS did say that. 2nd string QB doesn't mean you start when 1st string leaves lol. Guess we are wasting a scholarship and everything else to bring in JC to sit behind BS. No, I don't know any insider info and never have claimed to. All just my opinion. If CNS felt comfortable about BS or the other QBs on roster we wouldn't be bringing in a transfer to start. JMO

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
At this point here is a list of reasons why Coker should start and Blake shouldn't--

That should clear that up!
sip
I agree there are several reasons for JC to start over BS but probably not 10 reasons. More like a solid 5 or 6 reasons.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
If you can't decipher coach speak then I can't help you out. AJ was not second string when GMac was starting but would have been first one off bench if needed. CNS did say that. 2nd string QB doesn't mean you start when 1st string leaves lol. Guess we are wasting a scholarship and everything else to bring in JC to sit behind BS. No, I don't know any insider info and never have claimed to. All just my opinion. If CNS felt comfortable about BS or the other QBs on roster we wouldn't be bringing in a transfer to start. JMO
That's a mighty bold opinion.

Zaiva

1st Team
Feb 27, 2013
I'd love nothing more than for him to really improve and become our starting quarterback, it would be a great story. But as of right now, Sims cannot throw the ball well and is looking like he will still be the 2nd string guy. Hell, Cornwell could just surprise everyone and become our starter. We just don't know much yet, except for the fact that Sims is still having issues with accuracy.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Look.. Cornwell, no matter how hard he works this spring, summer and going into the fall, he will most likely red shirt, but could end up as no 3 on depth chart, and could be ready to play if needed. I can't see him playing unless something bad happen. Sim- he earned his dues, but you would think he would've improved by now enough to make a believer out of Saban, but he hasn't. I"m more concerned about his confidence and his ability to remain poised in certain situation. I do see Saban devising some kind of a game plan to use him little more in the game this season. As for Coker, It is said that he is most likely will come in this summer and will probably win the job outright.. but unofficially until the first game. Remember, this spring is very important for the quarterbacks, they have to work hard to show improvement, who ever improve this spring will most likely will challenge Coker for the job in the fall. My guess that the battle this spring will be between Cornwell and Morris. Bateman is the odd man out. I don't expect to see three way battle in the fall. Sims can transfer after spring, and can play somewhere and that might be his best shot.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I'd love nothing more than for him to really improve and become our starting quarterback, it would be a great story. But as of right now, Sims cannot throw the ball well and is looking like he will still be the 2nd string guy. Hell, Cornwell could just surprise everyone and become our starter. We just don't know much yet, except for the fact that Sims is still having issues with accuracy.
Agree

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I wouldn't read into this at all. If Del Rio hadn't left, Coker would've still transfer and the battle would'veb etween them for the starting job. Shoot, If Joe Montana said he was transferring, doesn't mean he'll start though :)

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.