What would you consider a "success" for the 2014 season?

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
We had a rough year in 2013. We had got rocked by three HUNH teams. Two of them scored over 40 points (ouch) and the other (API) notched 200+ yards on the ground. Our record was prettier than what the fans had to watch.

So what would y'all consider a success in 2014?

For me, to hold Auburn below 200 rushing (in addition to a victory) would be good. If we beat them, yet allowed them to run all over us again, I would be...a bit bothered.

I want to watch us play a HUNH team (a high-caliber one like TA&M or API), and not have to hold my breath every time they had the ball, praying we could hold them to a field goal because I know they are gonna move the ball into field goal range, at the very least.

And how bout an opposing QB that doesn't look like he's taking a free throw shot? We have a plethora of young, capable pass-rushers and I hope to see them play over our "proven" players that have shown they can't extract a drop of sweat from opposing QBs.

As for the record, two losses would be okay (but not ideal). CNS is gearing for another NC run, and the main thing I need to see is that he can make some critical changes.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
With your talent, 11-2 or better. Anything worse would be a disappointment, IMO. Yes, you have question marks at QB and on the o-line, but so do most of your toughest opponents, and they don't have nearly the talent to draw from.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
The SEC is going to be in for a strange year, that's for sure. I mean....Nick Marshall is the 1st team preseason QB...seriously? If Coker comes in and performs how many of us expect/hope him to, we'll be fine.

bamaslaw

All-SEC
Jan 16, 2005
Atlanta, GA
IMO - at our talent level, success is a championship. There's a lot below there that falls in to the "acceptable" range, but success really does need to be measured in trophies.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I try not to quantify things like that because so many things can stop a great team from winning championships. Historically I always want to

Beat Tennessee
Beat Auburn
Get to the SEC championship
I can probably add to that "Final 4" going forward.

But really any year we go to Atlanta for the championship I consider a successful year but even doing that with a loss to Auburn is hard to stomach. As it stands it's almost impossible to lose to Auburn and get there anyway.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'd say playing in the SEC championship game and/or the playoff. We're too talented to expect anything less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
We had a rough year in 2013. We had got rocked by three HUNH teams. Two of them scored over 40 points (ouch) and the other (API) notched 200+ yards on the ground. Our record was prettier than what the fans had to watch.

So what would y'all consider a success in 2014?

For me, to hold Auburn below 200 rushing (in addition to a victory) would be good. If we beat them, yet allowed them to run all over us again, I would be...a bit bothered.

I want to watch us play a HUNH team (a high-caliber one like TA&M or API), and not have to hold my breath every time they had the ball, praying we could hold them to a field goal because I know they are gonna move the ball into field goal range, at the very least.

And how bout an opposing QB that doesn't look like he's taking a free throw shot?
We have a plethora of young, capable pass-rushers and I hope to see them play over our "proven" players that have shown they can't extract a drop of sweat from opposing QBs.

As for the record, two losses would be okay (but not ideal). CNS is gearing for another NC run, and the main thing I need to see is that he can make some critical changes.
Well said, brother...

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Winning the SEC West. I think that's about all you can ask of the team. You win the SEC West, your chances of playing for a national title are fairly good...

oldtimetider

1st Team
Nov 16, 2008
I'd like to see us win the SEC...sometimes I think that's harder than winning the crystal. Success at Alabama is hard to define without hardware. Having said that, a couple of losses wouldn't surprise.
I think though...that this team may surprise on the upside. The defense will have a chip...as will the defensive coaches.
Often times, those units that enter the season as a question mark use that to their advantage....again, the chip mentality. I'm thinking the o-line will do that. I hope to see the pile "fall towards them" instead of back towards us.
The thing about not having proven starters is that it is a bit more difficult for opponents to plan for. A.J. is one of my all-time favorites...but 2 years worth of film study on a disciplined qb gives the opposition a strong idea of what that player will or won't or can or cannot do. We will, by necessity, (and probably with CLK's input) be a little less predictable.
Being optimistic today...

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Despite the QB factor, we are better (and should beat) every opponent on the schedule except LSU and Auburn. When it comes to LSU and Auburn, while we may have more talent here and there, the rivalry factor and their respective ability precludes me from including them in the "should beat" category.

Teams like Texas A&M, West Virginia, Florida, and perhaps Ole Miss and Tennessee may present unique challenges to overcome, I think it would be an upset if we lost any of those games.

So the season is going to come down to LSU and Auburn, like always. Understanding that chances are we'll lose one we shouldn't, and probably split the two games against the Tiger teams, and I'll go with a 10-2 regular season as "meeting expectations."

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Agree with those who say win SEC West. Barn luck will run out. They had three season's worth last year. 10-3 and not playing in Atlanta would be a disappointment with our talent and coaching staff.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I thought we really would 3-peat last year and had my heart ripped out. The truth is the O-Line is just as big if not a bigger question this year and we were pretty poor in the trenches in 2013. We also lost the best QB we have ever had. The only side of the defense I have any faith in is the Linebackers and the D-Line and Secondary units are just as big of unknowns as the O-Line. I don't even know who the starting RB should be...Henry looks the part but has only really 1 game of experience and Yeldon and Drake both handle the ball like it's covered in Crisco.

I know 2 starters on this team that are locks. Landon Collins and OJ Howard...and that's it. Not very reassuring.

I feel like this is a HUGE rebuilding year where the record will be 7-5, 8-4, or 9-3. Anything better than that and I will consider it a huge success. If CNS can get us to the SECCG and/or win it... it might be his best coaching performance yet. The NC playoff though...not happening this year. Next year maybe...not this year. I'm fully prepared for a season of growing pains.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Is this a make or break year for CMC ?
Given the almost historic loss of talent, Coach Mario cannot be held for the drop-off in line play during 2013.

That said, we will be running the ball a lot more early on, so we'd better be able to run it well. Florida game will be a early crucible. Excellent defense, and they'll come out of their skins trying to beat us.

My biggest concern is the defense not running into themselves for half the season. Tremendous talent, true, but we had that last year and got exposed three times. Who is going to grow into that talent? Who will lead? Otherwise, a new QB will be asked to gin up more points than what we ought to expect.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.