What would you consider a "success" for the 2014 season?

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
He also had the most touchdowns and minimal career Ints with a ridiculously high completion % and MVP performances. He shredded the opposing D's in both BCSNCG's, led the comeback against LSU in '12, almost bailed us out in a comeback against A&M in '12, Won us the '13 rematch, Threw the Dagger TD against UGA etc etc. Yes his deep throws were off this last season but his go to guy (Cooper) vanished. He was lethal in 2012 on deep passes. Lots of people are retroactively minimizing him now because he has been talkative and we didn't 3-Peat. I can't wait for him to prove the naysayers wrong in the NFL.
I don't consider myself to be minimizing AJM. Put Namath, Stabler, Hunter, on the recent teams - as much as we passed - and imagine what would happen. Heck, throw in Walter Lewis, Shula, Hollingsworth, or J P Wilson. They would put up serious numbers in the systems and teams we have had lately.

I am right there with you on hoping he has a great NFL career.

Oh, I will consider SEC West as successful.

Last edited:

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
An SEC championship. We used to win those all the time but since Coach Saban we've won more NC's than SEC's.

By default if we win the SEC we're in the running for another NC.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I don't consider myself to be minimizing AJM. Put Namath, Stabler, Hunter, on the recent teams - as much as we passed - and imagine what would happen. Heck, throw in Walter Lewis, Shula, Hollingsworth, or J P Wilson. They would put up serious numbers in the systems and teams we have had lately.

I am right there with you on hoping he has a great NFL career.

Oh, I will consider SEC West as successful.
I agree with you on every QB on that list being successful on recent teams except JPW. He was a turnover machine in college and the 2008 team was an eyelash from playing for a title and his passing stats were very middle of the road. McElroy and AJM quickly surpassed JPW on the eye test. Namath and Stabler are the only two I have up with AJ on equal terms though.

Also I 100% agree with you about the West Division Title. If we pull that off I am one very excited fan. The East is weak too so if we get in the game at 10-2 or 11-1 we could most definitely win the SEC Crown which always mean a LOT to me.

MN-Tide

1st Team
Jan 2, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
In answer to the opening thread question, I go into every season absolutely thinking that we will win the national title.
I've done that since I was about six and we won the first one under Bryant.
I'm disappointed at anything less, and therefore, I don't consider the season to be successful unless we win it all.
However, I've grown to know that we're not going to win it every single year, and, as long as I feel the team performed to their capability, then I'm o.k. with the disappointment and I'm proud of them.
Last year was a disappointment because we basically got worse after the LSU game and seemed to lose our focus, when we should have gained confidence, gotten better, and finished incredibly dominant.
I'm going to be honest though. Success, to me, is winning the national championship.
I think Coach Bryant thought that way. I think Coach Saban thinks that way. Therefore, I feel I, as a Bama fan, should feel that way.
Otherwise, we'll be like all those teams that think, "Wow...we only lost two games...what a great season!!".
That's not Bama Football, and it never will be. Which makes it as great as it is, and should always be.
sip
I agree 100%. I'll be proud of them regardless of what they accomplish. But success means a national championship, and nothing less. I trust that the players and coaches feel the same way.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Success?

- O-line improves
- 1 RB with 1000+ yds
- We beat Auburn (a loss here would be devastating)
- We finish with no more than 2 losses
- We win our bowl game!!!

Bonus:
- Defensive pass rush improves
- We win the SEC West

Bonus+:
- We win the SEC Championship
- 2 RB with 1000+ yds (if this doesn't happen, an SEC Championship will more than make up for it!)

Bonus++:
We win #16!!!

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Finish as one of the top four teams, in the committee's eyes :wink:

Really though, with the overall state of flux that the SEC is in, I think competing for the SEC championship as a 1-2 loss team is legitimate.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I agree with you on every QB on that list being successful on recent teams except JPW. He was a turnover machine in college and the 2008 team was an eyelash from playing for a title and his passing stats were very middle of the road. McElroy and AJM quickly surpassed JPW on the eye test. Namath and Stabler are the only two I have up with AJ on equal terms though.

Also I 100% agree with you about the West Division Title. If we pull that off I am one very excited fan. The East is weak too so if we get in the game at 10-2 or 11-1 we could most definitely win the SEC Crown which always mean a LOT to me.
Don't think we make the SECCG at 10-2.

thunderz7

1st Team
Nov 6, 2001
northeast alabama usa
Success will come "IF", running backs that can hold on to the ball play, and running back that fumble SIT.
O-linemen who can't get the snap count, and get other "foolish"penalties, SIT with the fumbling running backs.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
For me, "success" has always meant winning it all. Nowadays, there are successful "steps" along the way that much be nailed, so falling short of winning it all by one game, even though not a complete success, is an incredible accomplishment.
In order:
1) Beat the orange puke, the barn and the who's.
2) Win the SEC West
3) Win the SECCG
4) Win the BCSCG

Three out of four would be "successful", as long as 2,3 and 4 were the three. I think 2 and 3 are now mandatory; so if the one failure is #4, again, it would be an incredible season, but not a successful one, IMO.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
For me, "success" has always meant winning it all. Nowadays, there are successful "steps" along the way that much be nailed, so falling short of winning it all by one game, even though not a complete success, is an incredible accomplishment.
In order:
1) Beat the orange puke, the barn and the who's.
2) Win the SEC West
3) Win the SECCG
4) Win the BCSCG

Three out of four would be "successful", as long as 2,3 and 4 were the three. I think 2 and 3 are now mandatory; so if the one failure is #4, again, it would be an incredible season, but not a successful one, IMO.
In order for Alabama to do you're second item, the first item has to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I agree 100%. I'll be proud of them regardless of what they accomplish. But success means a national championship, and nothing less. I trust that the players and coaches feel the same way.
I ask this with all due respect. If "success means a national championship, and nothing less" , then by definition every other season would be a failure? I`ve followed Alabama football since `58. By that definition, we`ve "failed" a lot I suppose.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Success?

- O-line improves
- 1 RB with 1000+ yds
- We beat Auburn (a loss here would be devastating)
- We finish with no more than 2 losses
- We win our bowl game!!!

Bonus:
- Defensive pass rush improves
- We win the SEC West

Bonus+:
- We win the SEC Championship
- 2 RB with 1000+ yds (if this doesn't happen, an SEC Championship will more than make up for it!)

Bonus++:
We win #16!!!
Best answer on the thread. Man do we have a spoiled fan base these days.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
IMO - at our talent level, success is a championship. There's a lot below there that falls in to the "acceptable" range, but success really does need to be measured in trophies.
One thing that bugs me is that Auburn has the same number of SEC Championships as we do since Saban arrived, despite the fact that we have dominated them and the conference. I don't expect an NC run this year, but if we don't go to Atlanta I will be disappointed. Going 11-1, 7-1 and sitting at home blows.

And bowl game performance outside of an NC needs to be better.

MN-Tide

1st Team
Jan 2, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I ask this with all due respect. If "success means a national championship, and nothing less" , then by definition every other season would be a failure? I`ve followed Alabama football since `58. By that definition, we`ve "failed" a lot I suppose.
Dictionary definition of success: noun "the favorable or prosperous termination of attempts or endeavors; the accomplishment of one's goals". I get what your saying, but I think that the goal of every player who comes to play football at Alabama is to win the Championship every year. Now if they come up short, that doesn't mean failure in all things, they just didn't accomplish that one overriding goal. For some teams their goal is just to make a bowl game. I'm confident that our coaching staff would always set the goal to be champions.

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
Best answer on the thread. Man do we have a spoiled fan base these days.
I just disagree. Losing the SEC West would not make for a successful season. It might make for a pretty good season, but you can't be ranked top three in the preseason and say anything short of winning your division (except in a fluke season like 2011) is successful.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
In order for Alabama to do you're second item, the first item has to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why do you say that? Bama beats the who's and the barn and loses to the orange puke, the SEC West is still in play.

Even if Bama won two out of the three, several scenarios exist where the SEC West is still winnable.

MN-Tide

1st Team
Jan 2, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
“What are you doing here? Tell me why youare here. If you are not here to win a national championship, you’re in thewrong place. You boys are special. I don’t want my players to be like otherstudents. I want special people. You can learn a lot on the football field thatisn’t taught in the home, the church, or the classroom. There are going to bedays when you think you’ve got no more to give and then you’re going to giveplenty more. You are going to have pride and class. You are going to be veryspecial. You are going to win the national championship for Alabama.”
Coach Paul Bryant

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I think that is the ultimate "goal" of any program, but "success" can be defined in many ways. You can meet "success" in trying to achieve your "goal" in many ways. But, always have constant sight of your goal. I think if read CNS's book, you'll find that he defines "success" as being part of the "process" to achieve.

“What are you doing here? Tell me why youare here. If you are not here to win a national championship, you’re in thewrong place. You boys are special. I don’t want my players to be like otherstudents. I want special people. You can learn a lot on the football field thatisn’t taught in the home, the church, or the classroom. There are going to bedays when you think you’ve got no more to give and then you’re going to giveplenty more. You are going to have pride and class. You are going to be veryspecial. You are going to win the national championship for Alabama.”
Coach Paul Bryant

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.