What would you consider a "success" for the 2014 season?

scrodz

1st Team
Jan 29, 2008
Baltimore, MD
It's gonna depend on who we lose to and HOW we lose. I don't think I can sit through another game like last year's Sugar Bowl.

MN-Tide

1st Team
Jan 2, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I think that is the ultimate "goal" of any program, but "success" can be defined in many ways. You can meet "success" in trying to achieve your "goal" in many ways. But, always have constant sight of your goal. I think if read CNS's book, you'll find that he defines "success" as being part of the "process" to achieve.
Agreed. There is no right or wrong answer to this question, because the word can have different meanings. A program can be incredibly successful in developing young men into leaders, but still have a losing record.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I just disagree. Losing the SEC West would not make for a successful season. It might make for a pretty good season, but you can't be ranked top three in the preseason and say anything short of winning your division (except in a fluke season like 2011) is successful.
That's the great thing about this board...agree to disagree. To me, the arrival of a new season and fielding a good, competitive team will define success. I'm already looking forward to it.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
To win the SEC, you have to win the West. To now get in to the playoffs, pretty sure you have to win the SEC. From the teams perspective, I would think success would mean winning it all. From this fan's POV, it's no different. Is it "unsuccessful" to make it to the big game and lose? Of course it is. Does that mean the season was a failure? Absolutely not - the the level of success was not the highest it could have been. The further back from that point (the big game) the team ends the season, the lower the level of success. I think two or three games removed from it, the level of success is simply not acceptable.
This past year - for Bama, it came down to one game. Bama lost and it's dream was in the tank. So, was it an unsuccessful season? Yes, IMO, it was. If Bama had won but lost the SECCG, would it have been an unsuccessful season? Again, yes, but less so. If Bama had won the BCSCG but lost the big game, would it have still been an unsuccessful season? Again, yes, but no way could it be considered a failure, going unbeaten and only losing in the BCSCG. Lots of little ifs ands and buts involved in all of this, but ultimately it comes down to: what is your goal? And will you consider it a success if you don't reach it? And on what terms would you consider that failure a "success"?

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
For me it's more about taking steps to ensure the second half of CNS' career at the Capstone is as, we'll say, shiny as the first half. If we are succesful in defending against HUNH teams that tells me it can be.

I would also like see a more aggressive offense that attacks the opponent's weaknesses rather than plays not to lose. And I would love to see some tasteful in-game adjustments.

If all of the "blue blood" sports programs viewed no championship as a failure, most seasons would be failures. Out of Bama's 100+ years of football, we would have only had success for 15 of them, meaning that the majority of the time, our fans are walking around with the bitter taste of disappointment in their mouths. I don't see it that way.

With Bama's past, a championship is always the ultimate goal, but big goals are made up of smaller goals. If we accomplish some of our smaller goals, check those boxes, I'll count it as success. In 2008 CNS got the players to buy in and believe that, if they worked hard enough, they could beat anyone. That allowed us to win it all in 2009. Thus 2008 was a success for me.

Last edited:

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
I would also like to see CNS be a little more relaxed during tense situations. On gameday, CNS is at his best when abiding by the "less is more" mentality. Auburn 2009, LSU 2012, and Georgia 2012 are the best examples of this. On the other hand, at times he tries too hard to control the outcome of the game. LSU 2011 and API 2013 are prime examples of the "tight" CNS. I don't care how strong-willed players have become, young athletes almost always take their "emotional cue" from their coach. If the coach is tight, the team will follow suit. Against API last season, I got that feeling.

Bamaboda1

Suspended
Sep 1, 2006
Kathleen, GA
As a life-long Tide fan, I will of course expect no losses and a National Championship. If we are not able to achieve that I will be disappointed for the Coaches, Team and Fans, but will remain a life-long Tide fan. ROLL TIDE!

BAMALEEBO

Scout Team
Nov 26, 2006
Deatsville, Alabama, United States
We had a rough year in 2013. We had got rocked by three HUNH teams. Two of them scored over 40 points (ouch) and the other (API) notched 200+ yards on the ground. Our record was prettier than what the fans had to watch.

So what would y'all consider a success in 2014?

For me, to hold Auburn below 200 rushing (in addition to a victory) would be good. If we beat them, yet allowed them to run all over us again, I would be...a bit bothered.

I want to watch us play a HUNH team (a high-caliber one like TA&M or API), and not have to hold my breath every time they had the ball, praying we could hold them to a field goal because I know they are gonna move the ball into field goal range, at the very least.

And how bout an opposing QB that doesn't look like he's taking a free throw shot? We have a plethora of young, capable pass-rushers and I hope to see them play over our "proven" players that have shown they can't extract a drop of sweat from opposing QBs.

As for the record, two losses would be okay (but not ideal). CNS is gearing for another NC run, and the main thing I need to see is that he can make some critical changes.
This!!!! I, too, felt that way in 2013.....from Johnny Football and Marshall.....I want to see a nasty defense return to T-town...that dominates! On that note, pass rush has to get better to improve on last years fiasco.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
With the 100s of threads we've had analyzing the year, I thought I would bump this one that actually included our expectations - or rather, our criteria for calling 2014 a success. In skimming the thread, here's what I see...
1. Based on everyone's W/L expectations and tangible results, we met and perhaps exceeded those expectations in 2014.
2. However, we didn't meet the expectations regarding concerns about our defense adjusting to offenses. The HUNH was specifically referred to in the thread but I think we can broaden that concern at this point.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
it didn't appear that the HUNH was such a problem this year for our defense.

rather, it was inability to defend the pass...especially on 3rd and long.

the entire season whenever we had a team in 3rd and a mile it was like i was reliving the nightmarish 4th and 15 from the tennessee overtime game a decade ago.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
Now that the season is over....

12-2
SEC Champions
Beating Tennessee (8 in a row)
Beating Auburn
Probable top 5 AP Poll finish
Making appearance in the first playoff.
Watching Amari Cooper
.....disappointing loss in Sugar Bowl

I consider this a very good year!
I have been around long enough to remember many, many great years ....then a run of not so good years.
I am enjoying this run with Coach Saban.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
it didn't appear that the HUNH was such a problem this year for our defense.

rather, it was inability to defend the pass...especially on 3rd and long.

the entire season whenever we had a team in 3rd and a mile it was like i was reliving the nightmarish 4th and 15 from the tennessee overtime game a decade ago.
Over and over and over.

It's crazy when you feel better about having your opponent in 3rd and 2 than you do about 3rd and 24.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Over and over and over.

It's crazy when you feel better about having your opponent in 3rd and 2 than you do about 3rd and 24.
I actually sat there hoping at times that we'd get an offside call when we were in 3rd and long so the other team's chances of converting dropped.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.