Our Program Evaluation based on Tourney Mid-Major Upsets

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think making the tourney most years, with an occasional SEC championship and an occasional trip to at least the 16 is the minimum. Personally, I wish it were higher. Our biggest BB fan on the BOT "retired" last year...

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I believe the cliff notes of your post is - Successful mid-majors have 5 or 6 seniors on the squad.
Yep you rarely if ever see a mid-major with a starting lineup that has less than 3 seniors. Most of the talent is not NBA talent, they are just role players that have the experience and know how in how to play as a team which is needed during the tourney.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
I think making the tourney most years, with an occasional SEC championship and an occasional trip to at least the 16 is the minimum. Personally, I wish it were higher. Our biggest BB fan on the BOT "retired" last year...
Yeah I miss the "Wimp" years. Do you think its tougher these days to maintain that level at Bama? Can't recall off the top of my head how many were invited to the NCAA tourney when he was our coach. Bama would have won the national championship in '75-76 if not for probably the greatest college basketball team in my lifetime, Indiana.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Yeah I miss the "Wimp" years. Do you think its tougher these days to maintain that level at Bama? Can't recall off the top of my head how many were invited to the NCAA tourney when he was our coach. Bama would have won the national championship in '75-76 if not for probably the greatest college basketball team in my lifetime, Indiana.
I honestly think we were better than they were. We just couldn't make the freebies down the stretch, and the offensive foul call against Leon, driving on Bentson, in the final minute, was beyond belief.
Best basketball team Bama ever had in my opinion. Bobby Knight still say's, it was the best team he ever coached against.
sip

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
I honestly think we were better than they were. We just couldn't make the freebies down the stretch, and the offensive foul call against Leon, driving on Bentson, in the final minute, was beyond belief.
Best basketball team Bama ever had in my opinion. Bobby Knight still say's, it was the best team he ever coached against.
sip
Yeah I remember nearly crying at the end of that game. When I say Indiana was probably the best basketball team ever, I mean, I think Bama would have won 2 out of 3 against them! ;) They won the only chance they had against Bama and were the last team to go undefeated in D-1 basketball so??? :)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.