Northwestern Could Drop D-1 Football, If Players Form union

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I just saw the news report on television. The first words out of my mouth, to my wife were, "You know what I'd do if I were Northwestern?".
She said, "What?". And I said, "I'd shut the whole damn program down and tell those (not nice term), to hit the road and pay for their own (descriptive) education".
I signed on immediately because I knew there would be more info on TideFans and I'm glad to see most everyone seems to have the same opinion.
This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen involving college athletics. The entitlement some people feel amazes me.
Without the football programs at major universities, 80% of college athletes would never have the finances to attend college and get an education. Yet these kids feel, they're owed something. Mighty Northwestern and the ultra millions these kids generate in Bowl revenue and fan attendance. I think not. What a joke. Hit the road Jack's.
sip

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Unless I'm mistaken (disclaimer - happens a lot), Title IX applies to any university, public or private, receiving federal funds. Lots of private universities get federal funds for all kinds of things. I'd be willing to bet the list of private schools not subject to Title IX would be WAY shorter than the list of those subject to it.
I'd actually be surprised if the list of private schools not subject to Title IX is anything other than blank. As in, all schools are subject to it.

It has to do with SCOTUS's definition of "receiving federal funds."

Some years ago, a small college in the Midwest (I think it may have been religiously-sponsored, but am not sure) intentionally turned down all federal and state monies for the avowed purpose of being 100% free of governmental regulation.

The Feds prosecuted (persecuted?) them for violation of some regulation or another. They freely admitted they weren't in compliance, but said that since they didn't receive federal funds, he reg didn't apply to them.

The court held otherwise. They said that, since some students had used PELL Grants and federally-sponsored student loans to pay all or part of their tuition, the school had in fact received federal funds, and the reg did in fact apply.

Like a lot of other court decisions, we can like it or not. We just have to live with it.

I'd bet a really nice dinner that, as a practical matter, there is no school that sponsors NCAA or NAIA athletics at any level who is not subject to Title IX.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I just saw the news report on television. The first words out of my mouth, to my wife were, "You know what I'd do if I were Northwestern?".
She said, "What?". And I said, "I'd shut the whole damn program down and tell those (not nice term), to hit the road and pay for their own (descriptive) education".
I signed on immediately because I knew there would be more info on TideFans and I'm glad to see most everyone seems to have the same opinion.
This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen involving college athletics. The entitlement some people feel amazes me.
Without the football programs at major universities, 80% of college athletes would never have the finances to attend college and get an education. Yet these kids feel, they're owed something. Mighty Northwestern and the ultra millions these kids generate in Bowl revenue and fan attendance. I think not. What a joke. Hit the road Jack's.

sip
Yep! We agree sip! Now, how will universities pay for non-profit producing sports without football. You know the "Black Hole" sports that suck out profits from football.

I guess we'll lose more than football. The only good thing that can come from this, if schools drop football, will be that students may attend college to learn.

Those are supposed to be top academic student athletes at places like Northwestern, but it seems they're financial IQ's are very low. Yes! Let them pay for their college education instead of getting a free-ride on an athletic scholarship. Is someone holding a gun to their head to make them play? I don't think so!

If really like College football, but if they want to do this, I say drop football at ALL NCAA institutions. I will find something else to watch on TV. There may be some Ancient Alien programs that I haven't seen on the History Channel or H2.

Akazo

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 22, 2010
Just because they CAN do it doesn't mean that when it gets to the point of a player (worker) vote that it will pass. Maybe enough kids will wise up. Plus the article says that the appeal could take years, so this isn't going to even be on the table for quite a while, right?

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
Yeah, and I simply don't see how the unions and Title IX can co-exist. They do understand that most athletic departments lose money, right? So, on one hand the players want a cut of "profits", while Title IX demands said profits are distributed throughout the entire athletic department. It's also the issue of a particular union (which, from my wife's experience uses fairly devious tactics) muscling their way into college athletics, which is even worse than simply trying to muscle their way into steel mills in which the employees don't want them there.

The truth is, if everyone was paid an equal portion of athletic department revenue, in most cases they'd end up making less than their scholarship...
This point alone should end the debate, but it will sadly be thrown by the wayside. Unless you are a football or basketball player at a major power, you are not making your school any money. You're basically the recipient of charity.

11b

Jul 8, 2013
Since this decision only effects private colleges, does anyone know if there are any major football programs that are private schools. I don't want to lose the Oklahomans and tOSUs of football. I don't care about the high school teams masquerading as college teams

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Yep! We agree sip! Now, how will universities pay for non-profit producing sports without football. You know the "Black Hole" sports that suck out profits from football.

I guess we'll lose more than football. The only good thing that can come from this, if schools drop football, will be that students may attend college to learn.

Those are supposed to be top academic student athletes at places like Northwestern, but it seems they're financial IQ's are very low. Yes! Let them pay for their college education instead of getting a free-ride on an athletic scholarship. Is someone holding a gun to their head to make them play? I don't think so!

If really like College football, but if they want to do this, I say drop football at ALL NCAA institutions. I will find something else to watch on TV. There may be some Ancient Alien programs that I haven't seen on the History Channel or H2.
Amen brother. I love college football with all my heart, soul, and being. But I love it because of what is and has been.
If this passes and accelerates it would cause me to possibly change my attitude because of what it could become.
I'm not interested in an NFL developmental league or a NCFL(The National College Football League) . I'd rather see no scholarships and play "because you love the game and want to go out for the football team".
At least the game would retain some integrity, which it richly, richly, deserves.
sip

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Ancient Aliens! Mrs. Cuda will be there with you. I'll just have to listen to Frank Zappa or watch bad Japanese monster movies.

The rest of what I want to say won't cut it, even on NS, so I will sign off.

pigsinspace

1st Team
Jan 26, 2011
I really like College football, but if they want to do this, I say drop football at ALL NCAA institutions. I will find something else to watch on TV. There may be some Ancient Alien programs that I haven't seen on the History Channel or H2.
I can expand the places where I go fishing in the fall. Right now, I tend to fish near houses where the Bama fans have the radio cranked up loud enough to be heard on the lake.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Amen brother. I love college football with all my heart, soul, and being. But I love it because of what is and has been.
If this passes and accelerates it would cause me to possibly change my attitude because of what it could become.
I'm not interested in an NFL developmental league or a NCFL(The National College Football League) . I'd rather see no scholarships and play "because you love the game and want to go out for the football team".
At least the game would retain some integrity, which it richly, richly, deserves.
sip
Yep, and +1 for the Ivy League. I have followed college football for a whole lotta years, but if something like this comes to pass then I am sure I can find something else to fill my Saturdays in the fall. Good comments sip.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Tide-HSV,

I would say that this needs to be moved to NS, because this is political!

Am I still living in the United States of America? I don't think I recognize what used to be the great country that I love, the U.S.A.!

Is it the Gimme, Gimme States of America? Gimme a _ _ _ _ _ _ phone; gimme this, gimme that! I don't want to work for it, just gimme it! You can insert a "GIVE Me" any place you see a gimme!

It was my medical care and now it's my College Football. What's next?

What VALUES are going to be taught on the football field now? "Coach Saban, I don't feel like practicing today." Coach Saban's response, "Today was your last day on this team! Don't let the gate hit your backside on the way out!" "Coach Saban, I want a new Mercedes! Have you seen that in my contract! I can't practice until I get my brand new car!" Coach Saban's response, "you can take a hike also. See you later, dude!"

Oh! No! We can expect lots of lawsuits for coaches violations of Student Athletes Scholarship Contracts. Wow! We need more students in law schools to help handle the case load of the future.

And if I had had the ability, potential, etc., I would have crawled 69 miles to Tuscaloosa to beg Coach Bryant to let me on the Crimson Tide team. I would have paid him to let me play on his team! I would have cleaned the latrines!

This generation sure is different!

The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, now the Gimme, Gimme States of America is trying to be just like old Rome.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
To the athletes: be careful what you ask for...
If the athletes are employees, then can they be fired according to the state's laws? Georgia is an at-will employment state, which means that the employer doesn't have to state a reason. Do college football players really want this?

Does the NCAA allow "paid" players? Have these players just disqualified themselves from eligibility by "proving" that they are being paid.

Last edited:

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
This will get appealed and eventually end up in front of he supreme court. It will take a few years. Enjoy college football while you have it. For that matter without the college game the NFL will fail shortly afterward. football is too expensive a game to run a farm system with like baseball has. We all better find another hobby.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
So, many of you obviously have a negative view of unions, and you are projecting that view on Northwestern's potential choice. But, what are the actual PLUSES of to a move to unionize for the players. I don't see the sky is falling issue here as much as many do. College football will survive whatever the outcome is, just as it has for over a century.

I will say if football coaches and staffs weren't making well over 7 figures collectively and players were given rights to their own images etc., then I could see this just as a power grab. But the players have little to no say about how they are treated or compensated over time from football, while a few get very wealthy off of their play. I realize they are compensated some with scholarships, and other sports get financial lifelines from football. So, I'll remain neutral and wait to see what the football player's collective next steps really are.

pigsinspace

1st Team
Jan 26, 2011
We'll leave this thread here for the time being, because it is connected to college football. If it turns political, it goes to NS...
I believe that the political side is much bigger than the football side, so I will remain silent(here). I will say that Northwestern football hasn't been the same since the Musso boys graduated.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I believe that this topic is too political and too volatile for the football board. Obviously, the ramifications extend to all collegiate sports, not just football. We'll move it over to NS, where the gloves can be taken off...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.