Northwestern Could Drop D-1 Football, If Players Form union

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
And so it begins. Northwestern President says he could see them dropping D-1 football, if players form union. This could get very interesting.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/25/us/northwestern-football-players-union/index.html?hpt=hp_bn1

Henry Bienen, speaking last week at the annual conference for the Knight Commission on Intercollegiate Athletics, said, "If we got into collective bargaining situations, I would not take for granted that the Northwesterns of the world would continue to play Division I sports."

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
It amazes me this is even a conversation. How can amateur athletes possibly think they could form a union? It's mind-boggling.
Because they're 18, stupid, know everything, and they've been exposed to Chicago logic. It's not thinking, it's thinking you can bully.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Well, I really don't care if Northwestern drops football. Let these smart arse kids find another way to pay for their college. Northwestern ain't cheap,

I do however believe that the university should pay in full or at least pay some of the bills from injuries a student/athlete suffered while playing for his school.

Last edited:

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
Well, I really don't care if Northwestern drops football. Let these smart arse kids find another way to pay for their college. Northwestern ain't cheap,

I do however believe that the university should pay in full or at least pay some of the bills from injuries a student/athlete suffered while playing for his school.
Do they not? I was under the impression that they covered that?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
We'll leave this thread here for the time being, because it is connected to college football. If it turns political, it goes to NS...

Capstone46

1st Team
Jun 5, 2000
Once again, college presidents will not allow their universities to be the minor leagues for the NFL. College football may change to players more focused more on academics with less talent.

100%Crimson

All-SEC
Feb 4, 2004
NLRB rules in favor of unionization. Will this mean a bidding war in terms of cash dollars to play for a particular team?

Last edited:

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
[hQUOTE=selmaborntidefan;2372861]Because they're 18, stupid, know everything, and they've been exposed to Chicago logic. It's not thinking, it's thinking you can bully.[/QUOTE]

This right here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL

As far as I know that's what being put on a medical scholarship is for?

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
So what I don't understand is this, does this ruling today, if it holds, make Title IX a ticking timebomb for college athletics as we know it?
Not sure how you are making this connection, so I cant say for sure. But my guess is no because Title IX is part of a larger civil rights statute that applies to high schools as well as colleges. My expectation is if anything unionization would probably make the anti-discrimination even thicker to maneuver.

Its mind-numbing the number of issues this ruling has just created for college athletics and even on the academic side too. This ruling basically states that getting your education paid for via scholarship is a job. Hello workers comp, social security taxes, unemployment taxes, etc. These dumb kids just robbed themselves of their tax exempt status in all likelihood.

Some grown ups and some judges with a practical view of this situation need to stand up and say this is an unworkable situation.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.