Link: Greg McElroy on his SEC Network role, being critical of Alabama

rickvox79

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2008
Pace, FL
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20140326/greg-mcelroy-sec-network/

"I am going to be paid for an unbiased point of view and an unbiased opinion as to what I see on film," McElroy said. "Did I have a great time at Alabama? Absolutely. I could not be more grateful to the people I met and things I learned, but I also have to be fair to the fans of the Southeastern Conference and give an objective view of what I think of their team and Alabama's team."

Asked if he was capable of being critical of his old coach, Nick Saban, McElroy did not hesitate.
"I think I will be capable, absolutely," he said. "I think the world of coach Saban. He knows that. But I have to have an opinion and I have to be honest. Now my opinion might not always be right. In fact, there will be several times -- and maybe even a majority of times -- my opinion might be wrong. But I will have that opinion and stand by it."

Wonder how long it will take fans to want to start throwing bricks through his house windows once he criticizes Alabama for the first time. I know Herbstreit catches a lot of grief from Ohio St fans when he is critical of the Buckeyes. Hopefully our fanbase won't be too hard on Greg when he gives an unbiased opinion.

Kevin4Bama

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2005
Theodore, Alabama, United States
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20140326/greg-mcelroy-sec-network/

"I am going to be paid for an unbiased point of view and an unbiased opinion as to what I see on film," McElroy said. "Did I have a great time at Alabama? Absolutely. I could not be more grateful to the people I met and things I learned, but I also have to be fair to the fans of the Southeastern Conference and give an objective view of what I think of their team and Alabama's team."

Asked if he was capable of being critical of his old coach, Nick Saban, McElroy did not hesitate.
"I think I will be capable, absolutely," he said. "I think the world of coach Saban. He knows that. But I have to have an opinion and I have to be honest. Now my opinion might not always be right. In fact, there will be several times -- and maybe even a majority of times -- my opinion might be wrong. But I will have that opinion and stand by it."

Wonder how long it will take fans to want to start throwing bricks through his house windows once he criticizes Alabama for the first time. I know Herbstreit catches a lot of grief from Ohio St fans when he is critical of the Buckeyes. Hopefully our fanbase won't be too hard on Greg when he gives an unbiased opinion.

If this is a reference to the Curry incident, IT NEVER HAPPENED. As far as being unbiased, Rece Davis seems to do OK and doesn't draw ire.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
If this is a reference to the Curry incident, IT NEVER HAPPENED. As far as being unbiased, Rece Davis seems to do OK and doesn't draw ire.
Rece Davis didn't play QB at Alabama, though. The average ESPN viewer wouldn't have a glue went to school there. Same can be said for any ESPN anchor who did not play college or professional athletics.

I think GMac will be unbiased. His comment makes me believe he's already been fairly critical behind the scenes.

rickvox79

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2008
Pace, FL
I should have used the blue font when making the "throwing bricks" reference. I was mostly being sarcastic. I do know that Herbstreit got off Twitter for a short time due to the amount of flack he was catching from Ohio St fans. But I think McElroy will do great and be as unbiased as he can be.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Might be a good thing though. Tim tebow will do the same.
Is he smart enough to? I know he's charismatic and a lot of people like him, but when he talked he always struck me as someone that required mental effort to summon words.

Last edited:

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)
Hopefully our fanbase won't be too hard on Greg when he gives an unbiased opinion.
I'd love to be this optimistic about our fanbase, but I'm fully anticipating that your optimism will be misplaced. <sigh>
"Did you hear what Gmac said? Why, he implied that OU scored more points than we did in last year's bowl game! How ungrateful of him! Apparently he's forgotten where he went to college..." (etc.) <another sigh>

Regardless, I think he'll do a very good job. I'm FAR more excited that he'll be on the network than I am about St. Tim being on it too.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Would Coach Saban want him to be unbiased? I would think he would.

Would Coach Saban be unbiased if he was in the booth? You bet he would

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
I don't see how this will be any different than Herbstreit with Ohio St or Desmond Howard with Michigan. Everyone know they will be bias on the subject so they try to keep them out of a serious discussion when it involves Ohio St for Herbie and Michigan for Howard.

Or they just cut to Howard for the comic relief homer opinion on the subject.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
Rece Davis didn't play QB at Alabama, though. The average ESPN viewer wouldn't have a glue went to school there. Same can be said for any ESPN anchor who did not play college or professional athletics.

I think GMac will be unbiased. His comment makes me believe he's already been fairly critical behind the scenes.
Given the success we've had (two NCs since GMac left), Greg really doesn't have much to be critical about. I know last season was a disappointment, but...

Personally, I can't wait to hear what Greg has to say about Bama and CNS. I think CNS will listen to a former (and very, very intelligent) player much sooner than the rest of the talking heads.

hollisx4

1st Team
Aug 29, 2005
Columbiana, AL.
Personally, I can't wait to hear what Greg has to say about Bama and CNS. I think CNS will listen to a former (and very, very intelligent) player much sooner than the rest of the talking heads.
Not following you?

You think CNS needs expert studio analysis in order to strategize his next moves or something?

MN-Tide

1st Team
Jan 2, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I seem to recall that he criticized his own Jets teammates back in his rookie year. He said some of his teammates were selfish, and really didn't care if they won or lost. That was from a rookie third-string quarterback. I have no doubt he will do a great job. I always liked hearing his comments about Alabama football on SiriusXM over the past couple of seasons.

afadam07

1st Team
Aug 21, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
Oh he's going to get criticized! Look at how we all criticize each other's opinions on here... As soon as he says something "wrong" in someone else's opinion, they will start.

I do think he'll do a very good job!

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.