Bruce Pearl Wants to Explore Idea of Having Double Header in Birmingham with Alabama

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Click for entire interview

Q: How significant will Atlanta be for you in recruiting?

"Very significant. There's great players and coaches, and we play Georgia and it's close. I'd like to play neutral-site games in Atlanta and Birmingham every year, or maybe it's one year Birmingham, next year it's Atlanta and rotate. We played in Nashville when I was at Tennessee. I may not be able to get a (quality opponent) to come to Auburn, but I could get them to go to to Atlanta or Birmingham on a neutral site."

Q: What about a doubleheader with Alabama?

"I think a doubleheader would be great. I would think you'd try to do one of two things. When I was at Tennessee, we played Western Kentucky and Kentucky played Murray State. It was a phenomenal event. So if we went to Birmingham, maybe team up with Alabama, and maybe go to Atlanta and team up with Georgia and play teams there. When you play neutral sites, it helps your RPI. It's worth more than a home game. I'd be very open and interested in looking at all those things."

pchil86

3rd Team
Feb 16, 2014
I saw this earlier....pretty interesting interview.....I wonder if we will take any interest in this as well

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I saw this earlier....pretty interesting interview.....I wonder if we will take any interest in this as well
We better take interest. Would be horrible PR to turn it down. Also, it would be a big boost for the sport in the state.

BigA

Scout Team
Dec 21, 2013
Trussville, Al
Coach Battle and Coach Grant better get in "aggressive mode" relative to promoting our program. I get the feeling Pearl identifies an opportunity and will be relentless in promoting his team to whoever will listen. Time to get off our "tush" and go to work!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Really, there could be a triple header of UAB, Auburn, and Alabama games at the BJCC. Depending on times, Samford could participate.

This would really help the state's basketball product. Might hurt some in recruiting while helping Auburn, but I believe it would be beneficial to all schools in the state.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
Pearl has been seen just about every day since he was hired. Last night he was at the barn/mizzou baseball game...promoting. This morning, on the OD (i know he had a contract with them). I'm just saying...he's been EVERYWHERE. I have never seen, nor heard Coach Grant promoting Alabama basketball...ever.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Pearl has been seen just about every day since he was hired. Last night he was at the barn/mizzou baseball game...promoting. This morning, on the OD (i know he had a contract with them). I'm just saying...he's been EVERYWHERE. I have never seen, nor heard Coach Grant promoting Alabama basketball...ever.
I'm not going to say he does it all the time, but CAG spoke the Birmingham Tip-Off club at least once this year. He's made a few appearances.

And he made these when he was hired in 2009...

You can't say you've never seen or heard Grant promoting Alabama "ever" unless you've lived under a rock since 2009.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
I'm not going to say he does it all the time, but CAG spoke the Birmingham Tip-Off club at least once this year. He's made a few appearances.

And he made these when he was hired in 2009...

You can't say you've never seen or heard Grant promoting Alabama "ever" unless you've lived under a rock since 2009.
Hell of a promotion job when all your defenders have to go on is a speech every now and then to a member-only organization and some commercials made 5 years ago.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I've never seen those commercials...and the only promotion I get about the basketball program ever are emails from tidepride...

Time to step things up, because little brother has become way more outgoing...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'm not saying Anthony Grant stands on the corner with a "Roll Tide #BamaHoops" sign over his shoulders. I'm just saying he has done some events, so no one can say he doesn't do anything to promote the team. Let's not act like he sits in his office playing Solitaire or Free Cell all day.

I've said numerous times he needs to do more promoting. He needs to do things to involve the student body. He needs to radio interviews. He needs to do more events.

Just pointing out he has done somethings. Clearly, he hasn't done enough, though.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
It pains me to say this; and I hate to get all hyperbolic and negative, but it appears we've just taken a back seat to auburn. And even though it's 'just basketball', it shouldn't happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
The one thing I'll give pearl is that he is a master at marketing. He could go to Prairie View A&M and have both of their fans hyped that they are going to become a national power house. Auburns atmosphere may be completely different year, but that will fade if they don't win ball games. Pearl is a heckuva coach, but I just don't see auburn as having the talent level to compete for at least 2-3 more years

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It pains me to say this; and I hate to get all hyperbolic and negative, but it appears we've just taken a back seat to auburn. And even though it's 'just basketball', it shouldn't happen.

I'm going to give it a while to develop before feeling that way. BTW, I don't doubt for a moment Pearl's agent contacted UA for an indication of interest. I had said quite a while back that there was not a snowball's chance in hell we would ever hire him, and that came from a quite elevated source. After Beamon, basketball will never ever again be placed in a position to effect the football program. I'm restating this, because of some remarks by our recently-departed short-termer...

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
Really, there could be a triple header of UAB, Auburn, and Alabama games at the BJCC. Depending on times, Samford could participate.

This would really help the state's basketball product. Might hurt some in recruiting while helping Auburn, but I believe it would be beneficial to all schools in the state.
One thing that Ohio St. does and I personally like is they play at least one instate school every year. I'd love to see a Saturday series where Bama, Auburn and UAB play Troy, S. Alabama and Jacksonville St. Alabama A&M and Alabama St. could be worked into the party as well. I think the attendance and atmosphere would be great.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I was thinking more of a "steel cage" match between the Coaching staffs!

BamaBriar

Scout Team
Mar 24, 2011
Y'all act like this is some brand new idea. Back when there was an SEC Big East Challenge, Alabama played Georgetown and Auburn played somebody in a doubleheader at the BJCC. I think the tickets cost significantly more than a game at Coleman Coliseum. While enough of our football fans are willing to pay the extra cost, I am not certain our basketball fans are.

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
Y'all act like this is some brand new idea. Back when there was an SEC Big East Challenge, Alabama played Georgetown and Auburn played somebody in a doubleheader at the BJCC. I think the tickets cost significantly more than a game at Coleman Coliseum. While enough of our football fans are willing to pay the extra cost, I am not certain our basketball fans are.
Yeah I think in '07 the barn played WVa followed by us playing Georgetown at the BJCC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.