Would you Follow the Tuscaloosa Tide - Minor League Football Team?

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Let's look at this from a slightly different point of view. If the athletes want to get paid and thereby become "employees", we would no longer need recruiters as we know them now. We would instead need to develop an HR department where each school would take applications to play on a schools particular sports teams. That means each and every applicant would need to meet and comply with the requirements set forth by that school. Those might include meeting standards of not only physical ability, but also of education and morality.
Imagine the possibilities.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
To answer the original question - No. As for minor league football - It will never happen. The NFL would have to supplement it and why in the world would they want to do that? Remember the USFL? To me that was minor league football and how did it do?

rtjc

Oct 30, 2007
During lackluster years I've followed the Tide to the Music City Bowl, the Independence Bowl, and do not skip the Tennessee Chattanooga or Georgia Southern games. I am a proud Tide Pride member and support The University of Alabama. I would rather support a 0-12 Tide team than a 12-0 minor league team.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Sorry, but I follow The University of Alabama. :BigA:
I watch some NFL games, but it depends on who is playing.
I watch every Alabama game, regardless of who is playing.

That's the difference.

RTR!

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Doesn't matter, minor league football is a financial impossibility. The costs and injury liability are too high. It works in amateur situations like high school and college and it works for pay because of the market/product the NFL has plus the premo cities.
True. Big difference between baseball and football. I'd say with basketball how they use to be able to go straight from HS to the pros and now "One and done" in college defeats the purpose for a minor league. In a minor league football it would bet too much of a risk for more injuries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
The main problem is only about 8 players from our 25 limit class will make it to the NFL. The rest really need an education. For other schools it may be 1 or none.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
I know this won't be a popular comment, but we basically already have a minor league team. My wife was on scholarship for soccer (which almost no one cares about) and the coaches made it clear to them that the sport came first and school came second. It's not unique to UA by any means, but it's simply delusional to believe that the 4 and 5 star recruits considered potential future pro prospects who sign with major programs are there primarily to get an education. The efforts made to bolster their education (tutors, special study halls, etc.) are there primarily to ensure they remain eligible. Major college football is a business.

Last edited:

lelandhorne

1st Team
Sep 21, 2013
Can you imagine the legal battle that would ensue for a minor league team in Tuscaloosa to be called the Tide?
I the basic premise of the thread is that college football will get so expensive that colleges will voluntarily spin the teams off from themselves.

rolltideallday

1st Team
Dec 18, 2011
Tuscaloosa, AL
Unless the team is a University team, which it will not be, I doubt the University would willingly allow the team to be called the Tide. I took the thread to mean that a minor league division would begin and the theoretical support it would get if a team were in Tuscaloosa. If the team had University ties, like you say, I think many people on here would change their answer since they state they wouldn't watch because it wasn't an U of A team. Now, it was just a joke and didn't really intend to begin a conversation on the topic

I the basic premise of the thread is that college football will get so expensive that colleges will voluntarily spin the teams off from themselves.

lelandhorne

1st Team
Sep 21, 2013
So if a minor league team was spun off from a college program and paid the college a fixed sum of money every year to use the college's team name and history, would you support that minor league team?

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
As a kid I was always got excited to go watch the Birmingham Stallions play and if they had players from either Alabama or auburn it made them even more fun to watch. Unfortunately the hopes of any pro franchise always crashed down. So the answer would be no, I live to far away now.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
As a kid I was always got excited to go watch the Birmingham Stallions play and if they had players from either Alabama or auburn it made them even more fun to watch. Unfortunately the hopes of any pro franchise always crashed down. So the answer would be no, I live to far away now.

wasn't there an ill-fated attempt to have a CFL team in birmingham in the mid-90's...the barracudas or something like that?

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina

Bet you had good seats ;)

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
I wish they wouldn't have tried to move it to the fall to match up with the NFL. I think it might have made a few more years anyway.
I blame Donald Trump for that. ABC had made an offer of around 170 million if they stayed in the spring. That was a decent amount in those days and was a huge increase over the previous contract.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.