News Article: Blake Sims Spends Spring Break with QB Coach Ken Mastrole

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

Ken Mastrole didn't have the time to reinvent Blake Sims' throwing motion.

The private quarterback coach didn't feel the need to, either.

While a number of Alabama's players hit the beach for Spring Break, Sims trekked down to South Florida to work with Mastrole for four days. It was the first time Sims worked with Mastrole -- a former quarterback at Maryland who spent time with the Chicago Bears and bounced around NFL Europe and multiple arena football leagues -- and it likely won't be the last.

"My intentions are to help the individual athlete and the Alabama program," Mastrole said in a phone interview Thursday with AL.com. "I saw a lot of progress made."

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
This actually makes me feel really good at our QB position.

Is it still unsettled? Yes. But we've got an incumbent who is doing everything possible to improve and a couple young, up-and-comers that will push each other to excel.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I am really pulling for Blake Sims this year. He put all the work in sitting behind and learning from AJ, now I hope he gets his chance to shine. If Blake is our QB and we win a national title, it'll make the wait for him worth it I'm sure.

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
I am really pulling for Blake Sims this year. He put all the work in sitting behind and learning from AJ, now I hope he gets his chance to shine. If Blake is our QB and we win a national title, it'll make the wait for him worth it I'm sure.
Of course ultimately I want the guy on the field that gives the best chance to win, but I sure am pulling for Sims. Besides putting his time in and apparently keeping his nose clean, he always seems to be cheering on his teammates during the games.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
If Blake doesn't win the starting job, it wasn't from the lack of trying, he's doing all he can to earn the spot & that makes me respect him even more..I hope to see him win out & is rewarded for being a true "Team Player" that waited his turn & has done exactly what's been asked of him..I wish every single player on our team was like Blake, cause Players that earn their spots, are the ones that's brings home the Championships..

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
If Blake doesn't win the starting job, it wasn't from the lack of trying, he's doing all he can to earn the spot & that makes me respect him even more..I hope to see him win out & is rewarded for being a true "Team Player" that waited his turn & has done exactly what's been asked of him..I wish every single player on our team was like Blake, cause Players that earn their spots, are the ones that's brings home the Championships..
nice post :biga:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
There's no doubt that Blake has been put in a somewhat unfair position, and a lot of that is through circumstance alone.

Blake actually showed good arm strength at his very first A-Day game, at that point there was enough promise to let someone who (almost) everyone projected at another position, get reps at quarterback. But, Alabama had AJ entrenched as a starter, and Phillip Sims entrenched as his backup (along with the possibility of Winston in the future). It's hard to argue with the logic at the time, which was to let Blake see the field at another position.

So, Blake moves to running back and does fairly well there, averaging 4.9 yards per rush in limited playing time. Then, Phillip transfers, and there's sort of a crisis at the position and Sims heads back to quarterback. Ironically, Alabama then has injuries at the running back position, and Blake could have seen a lot more playing time there.

Next come the constant doubters. No way is Blake going to be the back-up, it's going to be Ely. No way Blake is going to be the back-up, it's going to be Morris (who might very well get a second chance to do just that). No way Blake is going to be the back-up, it's going to be Del Rio. All wrong, of course, but it has to suck to be in that position. To have to prove others wrong merely to be second string. And yet again, he's in that position. Even I take it as a given that Coker will be the starter, but there are plenty of people ready to declare freshmen as ready to assume the back-up duties over Sims.

I really do wish him the best, not simply because I think people view his abilities from a biased perspective (I've even seen people here say Nick Marshall is much faster, despite both being clocked as nearly the same times), but mainly because if anyone has earned it, he has. I'd have to agree that due to his abilities, Coker is probably the ideal starter, but I'd trust the game in Blake's hands more than I would any of the other options.

Last edited:

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
Gotta really admire the guy for his determination and dedication. At the very least, sounds like he and Coker will be pushing each other and that's a positive. Let the best man win.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
I still don't see him winning the job but I still say good on him for doing this. It shows he won't give up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Blake has been very committed to the team all this time. He isn't the prototypical QB we've seen at Bama, that much is clear, but I'm pulling really hard for him. Would love to see him start, succeed, and win a bunch of games. The offense could be very dynamic.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Blake Sims is giving it his best shot.
Unlike others who have transferred rather than face the competition.
We can ask for nothing more.

If Blake makes it great, if he doesn't, it won't be for lack of trying.
We have to respect that.
Blake has been a team player, even when he knew he wouldn't get to play.

The arrival of Coach Kiffin has given an opportunity for all of our Quarterbacks to start fresh.
Blake Sims has made the most of our 'Reset'...

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I think Blake has a pretty good shot at the starter's job. He made the basic throws he was asked to last year, and his mobility will be a big asset as we break in a new LT.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.