News Article: Former NFL Scout on Alabama's AJ McCarron: 'He's Going to be a Backup in the NFL'

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Click

In a prospect profile for SportsOnEarth, Russell Lande - college scouting director for Montreal Alouettes and Big Ten Network - likes McCarron's pocket presence and his ability to go through his progressions. Sort of.

"In all the games I evaluated, I was really surprised because everything I had heard prior to watching him was he is a fundamentally sound quarterback that had great technique," Lande said in a radio interview Thursday on WNSP 105.5 FM in Mobile. "When I watched him, every few throws he would actually stride into his throws and get his foot pointed at the target. But way too often his feet were actually on the same yard line. He was almost trying to body throw. And when he did that, his accuracy suffered and his arm strength - which is adequate at best - looked even worse. The ball would tail off and he would really struggle to get the ball to the receiver properly."

Lande believed the former Alabama star will have a hard time adjusting to the NFL.

"He looks like a third-day guy, not so much based on the other quarterbacks, just based on I would not draft a player I think can only be a backup in the NFL. And that is what I view AJ as. He's going to be a backup in the NFL."

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
This was the part that stood out to me the most...

Lande said McCarron's ability to go through his progressions, which many agree is a positive, can be a detriment.

"It's a very fine line," Lande admits. "In the NFL, you really want a guy to go through his progressions, make a decision and either throw the ball away, check it down or find an open receiver. That's what you teach.

"But one of the things you find over the years, sometimes its hammered into them so much 'don't make an error, don't make an error' that they are so quick to dump it off that they are rarely willing to expand the defenses and take shots down the field. ... That's the issue I have with him. He's so conservative that he would go through the progressions very quickly, make a decision, he would just throw it away or take a sack. I think he has to show a willingness to take some gambles, not a ton, but some if he's going to be productive at the next level."

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Mechanics can be corrected. My question is that if McCarron has such blaring mechanical flaws why are these things not corrected his freshman season. we do have quarterback coaches right? If it's a time limitations thing then how do quarterbacks from back woods U somehow manage to show up in the draft with perfect mechanics and go in the first round.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Mechanics can be corrected. My question is that if McCarron has such blaring mechanical flaws why are these things not corrected his freshman season. we do have quarterback coaches right? If it's a time limitations thing then how do quarterbacks from back woods U somehow manage to show up in the draft with perfect mechanics and go in the first round.
AJ's QB coaches were Jim McElwain and Doug Nussmeier.

Sometimes the QBs from "back woods U" do well because they went under the recruiting radar or they were late developers.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Guess 'The Manning Passing Academy' failed to spot the 'flaws', a has been scout sez he saw... ;)
It's likely AJ will pass on playing in the Canadian 'Minor Leagues' because of the slam by the ex-big 10 guy...

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
AJ's QB coaches were Jim McElwain and Doug Nussmeier.

Sometimes the QBs from "back woods U" do well because they went under the recruiting radar or they were late developers.
Well, assuming this guy is right there are worse lots in life than getting paid half a million a year to sit on the bench...like playing for the Montreal allouettes.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I wonder if AJ will be the same kind of career backup that Tom Brady was supposed to be?

At the end of the day, NFL scouts rely on subjective information and "the eye ball" test to evaluate guys. They get this stuff wrong just a frequently as they get it right.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
No player is perfect & every one has their drawbacks..Neither are NFL Scouts cause I'm sure some are better at their job than others are & this guy may be wrong about AJ..Cause I've read other scouts say completely different things about AJ..I imagine it depends on the needs of their NFL team & its place in the draft..Cause if they're in the need of a QB & they want a QB that's projected high by most scouts, they may publicly nitpick that player & hope others believe him so that player falls down to their draft picks..That's the only reasons I can think of when they bad mouth players before the draft..We all know honesty isn't the highest priority when lots of $$$$$$$ is involved..LOL

RT3413

All-American
Sep 14, 2004
Atlanta, GA
If we're being objective I think his analysis has the great potential to be correct. AJ has never had top-notch arm strength or mobility. He's got a great ability to check down and hit the short route reliably. He can read a defense and adjust quite well. He has a good release and reliable footwork. He knows when to throw it away and rarely puts the ball at risk. He's the best QB we've had in my memory with the possible exception of Barker.

That being said, there are 119 starting QBs in College Football every year. There are 32 starters in the NFL and the average tenure of a starter is about 7 years meaning there's roughly 4-5 openings.

Now, is AJ one of the 4 best QB's in the past year? MAYBE. But consider there are only 2 QB's from last year's class as starters and folks like Manning and Brady aren't going anywhere soon and that list gets smaller... there might only be 2 true starter positions open now.

That all being said, would I take AJ early on Day 2 if I had an aging QB who could teach him and raise him into a starting role (I'm talking to you, Denver)? Yes. Definitely. Is he a slam dunk? No.

But is the scout for the Montreal Allouettes the definitive source for analysis? Only slightly more than the average member of this board.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
I agree with RT in thinking that this scouting report on him is mostly accurate. If you go back watch every game from last season you'll see that he threw a really high % of his throws with both feet together and directly underneath his shoulders. Often while leaning backwards. Not just under pressure, either.....he threw like this with no one near him. And you could really see a difference on those throws just like the scout said.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I heard an NFL scout on espn the other day say Manziel is a third round draft pick. I wonder what these clowns are smoking, cause I want some too.

It seems to me that a player can't possibly please everyone. Mark Ingram was criticized for his speed, Julio for being too physical, and Terrance Cody too big. They even said Eddie Lacy was out of shape. I think this guy just has something against AJ. The dude has done nothing but win. (Lets forget about the OU game)

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.