Auburn DL Tyler Nero Passes Out During Practice's "Pace" Drill

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
Every "conditioning" session I've ever been in and around has involved at least one guy passing out or puking up his guts. SEVERAL factors involved. Not sure this unique to what Gus is doing
Yup, I was just about to comment that it happened to me on a few occasions.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Of course, we don't know if Nero passed out solely because of the drill. I found it ironic, though, that Gus wouldn't discuss it and Gabe Wright saying it was during the "pace" drill.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Does Rugby have 320lb linemen?
No, but it has 22-stone front rows.

I know this is (sorta) about the HUNH, but I'm still waiting for the yards-after-contact stats to show up in the rugby v. American football thread. Oh, wait a minute - forgot that a rugby fly half or wing hardly ever break tackles in the first place as that ain't exactly their aim in possessing the ball.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Auburn has forgotten Greg Pratt
Remember Pratt? We're not even allowed to mention Ted Agu, that's in bad taste. I mean, his coach was running a "Bear Raid" offense, and before that Sonny Dykes was coaching Louisianan Tech, and I'm sure a lot of us remember the type of offense he was running there (hint, the Texas A&M game was 59-57). But, don't you dare bring this up, Sonny doesn't understand that running people to death can be a literal thing and to even suggest that running a guy to death might be running him to death is horrible!

Yes, we've already had our hurry-up death. Hurry-up offense, running drill, player dead.

Last edited:

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I played football in the late 60's and early 70's. Knowing what we know now it's a miracle we all didn't die with only one water break and salt tablets. Of course I didn't have air conditioned housing until I went to UA in 72.
And to me that's the difference between what is happening to today's players. Most sit at home all day and play video games, go to practice, then go back home and play video games. Their bodies are used to regulating the heat because of air conditioning. As a kid, we had AC, but we played outside all day long in Mobile. You got thirsty, you turned on the water hose, let the hot water run out, got a drink and kept on playing.

If the players today had to go through what the Junction Boys went through, it would kill most of them. Most of the Junction Boys worked outside all day in the Texas summer and that's probably the only reason they survived that brutal conditioning.

Today's kids are soft.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Rugby players also don't wear helmets.
Having played both Rugby and Football I can attest the football uniforms in order to afford you protection do NOT dissipate heat. Basically your cooking inside armor. Ruggers could never play in constant play mode in football pads. The closer football gets to that the closer they get to killing people. The human body can put up with a lot but heat stroke will kill you deader than fried chicken in a very short period of time.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
As a kid, we had AC, but we played outside all day long in Mobile. You got thirsty, you turned on the water hose, let the hot water run out, got a drink and kept on playing.
I was thinking of my days in Mobile, playing basketball for 5 or 6 hours in a row, stopping only to get some fluids (occasionally). I think it's a little more complicated than that, and some of this is probably a bi-product of the extent in which we push the performance of these athletes. In my days of playing sports every day, often for hours, I was as thin as could be. I was muscle and bones, and I had more the build of a marathon runner or a bicyclist than of today's athletes. I didn't work out, why should I? Even at my slender size I was stronger than most people my age. My body was allowed to adjust to the conditions.

These athletes are so performance oriented, that it's not just natural conditioning, it's hours upon hours in the weight room, it's diets designed to put on mass, etc... and then when the coach runs those guys to death, it's going against a lot of what you were having them do in terms of putting on weight and muscle. I think some of the issues are born of on one hand pushing these guys to the extremes in terms of performance, then pushing them to extremes in terms of endurance.

Having played both Rugby and Football I can attest the football uniforms in order to afford you protection do NOT dissipate heat. Basically your cooking inside armor.
I don't get any of the rugby comparisons or how people got started on that. To put this issue in perspective, we are talking about putting someone in full pads, and making them run as much as possible, and then deliberately keeping them from leaving the game when they want to. Anyone who doesn't understand that's a recipe for disaster, or comes up with "Rugby!" as a response is being obtuse.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I was thinking of my days in Mobile, playing basketball for 5 or 6 hours in a row, stopping only to get some fluids (occasionally). I think it's a little more complicated than that, and some of this is probably a bi-product of the extent in which we push the performance of these athletes. In my days of playing sports every day, often for hours, I was as thin as could be. I was muscle and bones, and I had more the build of a marathon runner or a bicyclist than of today's athletes. I didn't work out, why should I? Even at my slender size I was stronger than most people my age. My body was allowed to adjust to the conditions.
Where did you play basketball and how long ago?

rolltideallday

1st Team
Dec 18, 2011
Tuscaloosa, AL
Do you even like football? All I've seen you post lately is how football is inferior to rugby.

They are completely different sports. Players train differently because it takes different skill set for each. Linemen are usually 280+ pound guys who train to play physically in the trenches for 3-5 seconds at a time. Rugby is a lot more endurance based in general. Go up to 6'2" 270 lb Courtney Upshaw and say he's out of shape because he can't run like a rugby player

No, we just need to face facts that some football players are just plain out of shape.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
And to me that's the difference between what is happening to today's players. Most sit at home all day and play video games, go to practice, then go back home and play video games. Their bodies are used to regulating the heat because of air conditioning. As a kid, we had AC, but we played outside all day long in Mobile. You got thirsty, you turned on the water hose, let the hot water run out, got a drink and kept on playing.

If the players today had to go through what the Junction Boys went through, it would kill most of them. Most of the Junction Boys worked outside all day in the Texas summer and that's probably the only reason they survived that brutal conditioning.

Today's kids are soft.
August in South Alabama in full pads and no water; hard to imagine how we did that.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL

Today's kids are soft.
Those guys were victims of ignorance when it came to hydration back in those days. Not drinking water doesn't increase your toughness it increases your chances of dying from a heatstroke. No sport is worth dying over. As far as today's players who knows how'd they'd do in those conditions. What is obvious is that players in the 50's would probably get thrown around like toys by bigger, stronger, faster, and more athletic players of today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
No, but it has 22-stone front rows.

I know this is (sorta) about the HUNH, but I'm still waiting for the yards-after-contact stats to show up in the rugby v. American football thread. Oh, wait a minute - forgot that a rugby fly half or wing hardly ever break tackles in the first place as that ain't exactly their aim in possessing the ball.
Hold on a second, let me get my stone to pound converter out...

Mamacalled

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2000
Pelham, Al
Those guys were victims of ignorance when it came to hydration back in those days. Not drinking water doesn't increase your toughness it increases your chances of dying from a heatstroke. No sport is worth dying over. As far as today's players who knows how'd they'd do in those conditions. What is obvious is that players in the 50's would probably get thrown around like toys by bigger, stronger, faster, and more athletic players of today.

Players were much tougher back in those days. Hell, you had players playing with broke legs (Coach Bryant) players that would start typing their ear off in order to stay in the game. They played both ways. Today you have players that will sit out the second half because of a Charlie horse.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Players were much tougher back in those days. Hell, you had players playing with broke legs (Coach Bryant) players that would start typing their ear off in order to stay in the game. They played both ways. Today you have players that will sit out the second half because of a Charlie horse.
Yeah keep your scholarship was hard back then. If Bryant played today though, there is simply no way they would of let him play with a broken leg. Yes that is toughness but these days we call it putting yourself in unnecessary danger (RG3 and his knee during the 2012 season) of making it worse. He was just one play away from hurting it again and possibly being in a wheelchair or crutch dependent for the rest if his life. Also trying to tear your ear off is not being tough. That's just being stupid. IMO.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
So do you old timers want players that play until their limbs are dangling off or players that are able to play with their kids and maybe remember their kids' names?

Call me soft, but I prefer the way things are today. Maybe today's players won't have memory issues, or maybe today's players will be able to walk without every bone aching.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.