Auburn DL Tyler Nero Passes Out During Practice's "Pace" Drill

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
I dunno about that..The NFL was running rough & tough with steroid use back then, those NFL players back then we're the meanest in the history of the game..Someone like Lyle Alzado was psycho type brutal & would have taken the lunch from anyone on the 2001 Hurricanes & would eat their stolen lunch in front of them as well..
I think the Steelers of the 70's would dominate today as they did then. There is such a thing as too big and that's where todays players are.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I dunno about that..The NFL was running rough & tough with steroid use back then, those NFL players back then we're the meanest in the history of the game..Someone like Lyle Alzado was psycho type brutal & would have taken the lunch from anyone on the 2001 Hurricanes & would eat their stolen lunch in front of them as well..
I dunno - Lyle played @ around 250 iirc, lots of modern OL-men would have owned him. Remember - the average OL player in the 70's was around 250 lbs...

Hard to compare, but the reality is the modern football player is physically FAR superior to the NFL players of the 1970's. And it's not even close.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Average size of NFL OL by decade:
1920s: 6'0", 211 lbs
1930s: 6'1", 220 lbs
1940s: 6'1", 221 lbs
1950s: 6'2", 234 lbs
1960s: 6'3", 251 lbs
1970s: 6'3", 255 lbs
1980s: 6'4", 272 lbs
1990s: 6'4", 300 lbs
2000s: 6'4", 313 lbs
2010s: 6'5", 310 lbs

And the 2010s version is likely every bit as fast (if not faster) as they 1920 version.

Lyle Alzado (whom I loved watching play, and he was my hero as a young DL-man), ran a 4.75 40. The average NLF OL combine numbers in 2013 yielded a 4.85 40. All while outweighing LA by 60 lbs (24% heavier than LA)...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Average size of NFL OL by decade:
1920s: 6'0", 211 lbs
1930s: 6'1", 220 lbs
1940s: 6'1", 221 lbs
1950s: 6'2", 234 lbs
1960s: 6'3", 251 lbs
1970s: 6'3", 255 lbs
1980s: 6'4", 272 lbs
1990s: 6'4", 300 lbs
2000s: 6'4", 313 lbs
2010s: 6'5", 310 lbs

And the 2010s version is likely every bit as fast (if not faster) as they 1920 version.

Lyle Alzado (whom I loved watching play, and he was my hero as a young DL-man), ran a 4.75 40. The average NLF OL combine numbers in 2013 yielded a 4.85 40. All while outweighing LA by 60 lbs (24% heavier than LA)...
Brad, you're forgetting that today's players aren't as tough. That's what's important. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
You make a fair valid point Brad..I still think a team like the 70's Pittsburgh team could hold their own in today's football though or against some of the weaker NFL teams anyways..Those were some big & mean ole Boys on "The Steele Curtain" D & "The Purple People Eaters" as well or do you think they would be dominated by today's NFL teams???..

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
It's not that they were any tougher..From what I've read & saw on videos anyways since those teams from the 70's were before my time..I honestly think the steroid use in the 70's made them play with a mean streak as compared to today's NFL Players..I'd love to to have seen them play live..As well as Bama under Coach Bryant..
Brad, you're forgetting that today's players aren't as tough. That's what's important. ;)

Last edited:

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Major thread highjack but something not being considered is in the 70's most spent their entire careers on one team and played much better together than now.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
And technique used by the great players on the 70's "Steele Curtain" D, can & will offset the size problem, they would face against teams today..I don't think they could overcome the speed of today's Players in the NFL, I agree with Brad that today's Players are just plain better athletes & would squash teams from the 70's, but, when you're a great player, size can be offset by greatness, I think some of the 70's team would give teams today all they could handle & would likely beat a few of the teams in the NFL right now..If they would make it the whole game that is, cause the game has changed so much, they would be thrown out of the game for being to rough, the NFL today, isn't the same as the NFL of the 70's, it was way more brutal from the videos I've watched from the 70's.. JMO

Major thread highjack but something not being considered is in the 70's most spent their entire careers on one team and played much better together than now.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
It's not that they were any tougher..From what I've read & saw on videos anyways since those teams from the 70's were before my time..I honestly think the steroid use in the 70's made them play with a mean streak as compared to today's NFL Players..I'd love to to have seen them play live..As well as Bama under Coach Bryant..
The average NFL team today would beat any Super Bowl champion from the 70's by three TD's, easily. Probably far worse.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Yup..I was watching a video a few minutes ago & it's pretty obvious at the difference between the 70's & now..I think Alabama today could beat the NFL teams in the 70's..Today's Players like you already stated are bigger, faster, & the technology difference alone in the training facilities is laughable..So y'all have won me over & I agree 100% with y'all..Especially after the more videos I watch from the 70's..
The average NFL team today would beat any Super Bowl champion from the 70's by three TD's, easily. Probably far worse.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
I agree that an NFL team today, a bad one, say the Jaguars would not enjoy playing at the break-neck speed of Baylor or Oregon, especially with all the clock stoppage differences RGW has mentioned in the past. With that said, in spite of the pace and the sure fact they'd be winded and rushing around at times, the sheer size, strength, and speed differences would more often than not blow up the plays HUNH college teams try to run. To a much smaller degree, look what FSU did along the defensive line against Auburn. Fast twitch, physical, big DL are the answer to throwing a HUNH team off schedule.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
And 230-250 lb. LBs that can cover from sideline to sideline help, too. And the NFL is stocked with those kind of guys. I see more of those types filing into Bama as well... Foster, Evans, Miller..

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
I've heard Doug Gotlieb disputing the notion that todays basketball players aren't as skilled as the good ole days players. He said when he went back and reviewed it it was insane how much more skilled todays players are. There were point guards that are in the hall of fame who couldn't dribble well with both hands. Gotlieb said that's pretty much a requirement of college pgs at this point. He said the speed and athleticism combined with ball handling skills on point guards was at another level in th e NBA now. Obviously the overall atheleticism has gone up in basketball just like in football.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I do think the 80's Lakers & Celtics would still dominate today's NBA..Bird & Magic in their prime are better than anyone in this day & age in the NBA..
I've heard Doug Gotlieb disputing the notion that todays basketball players aren't as skilled as the good ole days players. He said when he went back and reviewed it it was insane how much more skilled todays players are. There were point guards that are in the hall of fame who couldn't dribble well with both hands. Gotlieb said that's pretty much a requirement of college pgs at this point. He said the speed and athleticism combined with ball handling skills on point guards was at another level in th e NBA now. Obviously the overall atheleticism has gone up in basketball just like in football.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Yup..The Bulls from the 90's as well..The Celtics & Lakers from the 80's in their prime would still be dominate today..I barely remember watching Bird play in his later years & he was shooting better than any player in today's NBA..I loved watching him shoot the ball..It was a thing of beauty..
I'd go more with the Bulls of the 90's.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
First, Nero passes out during the drill.

Now, Ellis Johnson says he wants to limit snaps in practice for older players to prevent injuries. Link

Auburn's defense is beat up.

About 12 defensive players have missed some time during the Tigers' first 13 practices of the spring, coordinator Ellis Johnson said Tuesday.

"That's frustrating when you don't get to work with those guys, and I know it's frustrating for them, too," Johnson said.
Johnson said "there are several guys" who will not be able to participate in the A-Day game Saturday, but he did not go into specifics. He also believes the coaches may limit the snaps for veteran players as not to risk injuries.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
First, Nero passes out during the drill.

Now, Ellis Johnson says he wants to limit snaps in practice for older players to prevent injuries. Link
Oooooooo....but seriously their defense is going to have plenty of problems IMO. They weren't that good last year either.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.