Two SEC Teams In A Four Team Playoff..Get Used It College Football

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I saw this GIF on Twitter & thought about how the rest of College Football is going to gnash their teeth, and moan & groan to hell n back about it..The rest of college football has pushed so hard for a playoff in hopes of stopping the SEC Dominance over it..It won't stop it though & y'alls moaning n groaning will continue as well..

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I know this will go against popular opinion but I actually believe the SEC's dominance (like what we've seen the past seven years) is over. I'm not saying there won't be another SEC national title but I don't think we'll see an SEC NC as frequent. I believe the PAC 12 is definitely going to win one within the first five three years of the new playoff. The depth of that conference has improved.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
We can all laugh and enjoy UF and UK being in the Final Four and claim it as SEC dominance. However, we have to remember the selection committee made Kentucky an 8 seed, which would mean they saw UK as no better the 32nd best team.

This isn't a great example to use for the SEC in the football playoff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
It's not terribly likely that we will see 2 SEC teams in the four team playoff. Especially not with any consistency, but there are certainly possiblities and ways that could work out. The most likely one IMO is that the SEC teams would be 1 and 4. The 1 being the undefeated SEC champ, the other being a one loss team that either lost a close SECCG or didn't get to go by losing early in the season in a tiebreaker type situation.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I actually agree 100% with ya BB..Had the human equation been left out of the selection process of the play-off teams, The SEC domination would have continued, their 1st agenda will be to end the SEC Domination of college football I'm afraid..I hope I'm wrong..We shall see..If other conferences wins the NC, I'm good with that & will give them congrats, just as long as it's all won on the up & up..
I know this will go against popular opinion but I actually believe the SEC's dominance (like what we've seen the past seven years) is over. I'm not saying there won't be another SEC national title but I don't think we'll see an SEC NC as frequent. I believe the PAC 12 is definitely going to win one within the first five three years of the new playoff. The depth of that conference has improved.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
While a lot of the folks here get really hot and bothered over this entire conspiracy theory, I'm not among them. Think about it: how many times can you name that the SEC deserved more than one team in the BCS title game when it was only two teams? Note that the loss total is at the end of the regular season not including the bowl game (as that would not have been counted).

PRE-SEC DOMINANCE
1998 - Tennessee unbeaten, Florida lost to Tennessee (given that UCLA and K-State were unbeaten, no dice)
1999 - Alabama and Tennessee each had two losses
2000 - Florida had two losses
2001 - Florida and Tennessee both had two losses, LSU (SEC champ) had three
2002 - Georgia had one loss (Miami and Ohio St were the right teams and played a classic)
2003 - LSU had one loss, Ole Miss had three
2004 - Auburn unbeaten, UGA two losses
2005 - Auburn, Georgia, Alabama, and LSU each had two losses

SEC DOMINANCE PERIOD
2006 - Florida one loss, LSU and Auburn had two
2007 - LSU and UGA each had two losses, UGA did not win the East - but this is hard to argue since one-loss Kansas did not even make their title game, either. You can hardly justify taking BOTH UGA and LSU over Kansas
2008 - Florida and Alabama each had one loss (the real problem here is you'd be hard-pressed to take one-loss Alabama over one-loss Texas, OU, or USC. However, the Tide IS in the running here for a four seed)
2009 - Florida and Alabama were each unbeaten - this year is the best example where you could argue Florida would still deserve a top four seeding since they were two-time recent defending champions and had a better resume than Cincinnati or Boise or TCU
2010 - Auburn was unbeaten; everyone else had at least two losses
2011 - this is the point of contention but note that NOBODY disputed Alabama would have been in a four-team playoff, not even the biggest critics of the BCS
2012 - Alabama and Florida both had one loss; this was similar to 2011 in that UF did not play the SECCG because they lost one game to a one-loss UGA team
2013 - this was the potential disaster as well

What I'm saying is this: go over the history of the BCS and you can find maybe - MAYBE - five times in the last six years when two SEC teams "could" have made it. However, this is an aberration and let me tell you why: this six-year period coincides with Tennessee becoming a mediocrity, Vandy rising to heights, and both Arkansas and Auburn having split personalities (good this year, awful the next). When those three teams become more consistent and Vandy regresses, it will bring back the elimination aspect of SEC play.

In 2008, it would be very difficult to justify Alabama over Oklahoma, which wasn't done. Of course, if you have four teams then the fight breaks out. Who is a better choice? Texas, who controversially was passed over for the Big 12 title game? Unbeaten Utah? Once-beaten Texas Tech? Alabama, who was number one much of the year and had led Florida going into the fourth quarter? Boise State?

2009 - Alabama and Texas are in. Does Florida get a spot? I think they do even after we drilled them.

2011 - LSU and Okie State are in. The other probables are Alabama and Stanford. If you keep Alabama out because of the division thing, there goes Oregon. Can we justify Wisconsin?

2012 - the amusing thing is that even with the aTm loss, we still make it as we were.

So I think this may be overblown. "Oh, they'll never let it happen." Well, you don't know how seasons will shake out. My one fear is them justifying a four loss B1G team over a one-loss non-division champ. But I doubt that will happen.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I usually agree 100% with Selma & if you're right I will be thrilled to no end, but, I have no faith in the human equation part of the play-off part of it..So many folks are against the SEC that I just rather keep the human bias part of the selection committee out of it is all Brother..

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I agree with this Buzz. I also agree that the next best conference is the PAC 12.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Call it a conspiracy or whatever you like, but there is no question the change is to prevent two teams from the same conference from playing in the NCG. The easiest way for them to do that is to eliminate non-champions from the playoff. The other way is to restrict a conference to two teams and seed them to meet in the playoff so as to eliminate one of them from the NCG. Unwritten agreement in either case. They will have to be consistent with whatever they do or they will open it up for the SEC. If they are not consistent, then there will be no question that it is a conspiracy against the SEC.

Last edited:

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
As long as four of the five power conference champions are either undefeated or have only one loss, I don't think there's any way any conference gets more than one team in the playoff. It'll be too easy for the committee to fall back on the excuse that they won their conference. If only three (or fewer) power conference champs have one loss or less, we could see it. But, I think the committee is just as likely to say that a two-loss Ohio State from the Big 10/12/14 is more deserving than a one-loss LSU that didn't win the SEC.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
I agree with everything your saying....right up until the point that I check % of national championships for the SEC over the past 10, 20, 25, 30, 40, and 50 years.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
As long as four of the five power conference champions are either undefeated or have only one loss, I don't think there's any way any conference gets more than one team in the playoff. It'll be too easy for the committee to fall back on the excuse that they won their conference. If only three (or fewer) power conference champs have one loss or less, we could see it. But, I think the committee is just as likely to say that a two-loss Ohio State from the Big 10/12/14 is more deserving than a one-loss LSU that didn't win the SEC.

Exactly! Hades will freeze over before two teams from the same conference are in the playoff. The World will come to an end before two teams from the same conference are in the NCG.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
Exactly! Hades will freeze over before two teams from the same conference are in the playoff. The World will come to an end before two teams from the same conference are in the NCG.
I would be satisfied with only 1 team from the same conference being in the final 4 as long as they are consistant. Don't knock an SEC team out of the final 4 this year and then come up with a lame brain excuse to get the BIG or PAC 12 in with 2 teams next year.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I would be satisfied with only 1 team from the same conference being in the final 4 as long as they are consistant. Don't knock an SEC team out of the final 4 this year and then come up with a lame brain excuse to get the BIG or PAC 12 in with 2 teams next year.
I agree, but I would not bet on this happening.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Why in the world do we not have an 8-game playoff? 5 conf winners (SEC, Big12, Big10, ACC, Pac12) and top 3 non-conference-champs. Takes the human element out of it. No council. No conjecturing. Very simple. You win your conference, you're in. If you're good but don't win your conf, you still have a shot. I just don't get why we're not doing this.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
Why in the world do we not have an 8-game playoff? 5 conf winners (SEC, Big12, Big10, ACC, Pac12) and top 3 non-conference-champs. Takes the human element out of it. No council. No conjecturing. Very simple. You win your conference, you're in. If you're good but don't win your conf, you still have a shot. I just don't get why we're not doing this.
Sorry, I can't agree with ya on this one. Different thread but the same question...How are the best teams to be selected? IMO use the BCS formula and take the best 4, 6, 8 or whatever (although I would really be worried about the number of total games if it goes beyond 4 teams). Automatically taking conference champs is toooo risky and you are by no means assured of getting the best...A 3 loss conference champion is very possible. If it's anything less than the 4 best teams in the country it is a failure, and the best way to pick them is an unbiased system like the BCS. As I said on another thread, having a undefeated "Wichita St" in the tournament is an injustice.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Call it a conspiracy or whatever you like, but there is no question the change is to prevent two teams from the same conference from playing in the NCG.
This is an unproven assumption.

The easiest way for them to do that is to eliminate non-champions from the playoff.
Which was not done.

The other way is to restrict a conference to two teams and seed them to meet in the playoff so as to eliminate one of them from the NCG.
Did you not read anything I said?

How often do you even have TWO TEAMS from one conference in the TOP FOUR or anywhere close? Furthermore, this too is ASSUMING something that has not yet happened.

Unwritten agreement in either case. They will have to be consistent with whatever they do or they will open it up for the SEC. If they are not consistent, then there will be no question that it is a conspiracy against the SEC.
This is one of the lamest arguments I've ever read.

Each season is different. You cannot use the old "well, in 2001 Nebraska lost their last game and played for the championship, therefore, it doesn't matter if a one-loss team loses it's last game" and apply it as a preconceived notion. That's insane.

Consistency is one of the worst paradigm arguments I've heard here. "Well, last year we sent the Big 10 champion who was unbeaten and therefore, let's send a four-loss conference champion over a one-loss Pac 12 team."

At least let it happen first, gee.

BAMAfan777

1st Team
Jun 25, 2010
It needs to go to 8 teams, this "testing the waters" thing with 4 teams is ridicules. 100% political.

The real question should be 8 or 16 teams, such as in D1 Subdivision Championships. The 9 + ranked team never wins, but the 5-8 ranked teams do.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.