Two SEC Teams In A Four Team Playoff..Get Used It College Football

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The College Football Playoff will be about conference champions and ND. Get used to it. The primary purpose of the committee will be to select, and seed, four of the conference champions, or three and ND, from the five major conferences and ND.
And if we win all our games, none of this amounts to a hill of beans, either.

It's almost sounding to me like you're more concerned with having a back door in case something goes wrong than in simply doing what needs to be done. THIS kind of mentality is what some other fans hate about us. "Well, we lost, but we should get a second chance."

This is why I cannot understand why you (or anyone else) is worried. Never before has it been "win and we're for sure in." This panel is NOT going to deny an unbeaten SEC team a shot in the playoff. Once beaten? Well, it sorta depends.

Just like now.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

It's almost sounding to me like you're more concerned with having a back door in case something goes wrong than in simply doing what needs to be done. THIS kind of mentality is what some other fans hate about us. "Well, we lost, but we should get a second chance."

This is why I cannot understand why you (or anyone else) is worried. Never before has it been "win and we're for sure in." This panel is NOT going to deny an unbeaten SEC team a shot in the playoff. Once beaten? Well, it sorta depends.

Just like now.
I think all Alabama fans are looking for a back door for inclusion if we don't win the SECC Game and finish with one loss. Alabama fans want some guarantee that if there is a repeat of 2011 we still get a chance to make the final 4. From a personal standpoint I would like to see this, but with the new "blue ribbon" selection committee it is unlikely to happen. IMO I do not believe we will see 2 teams from any conference in the final 4.

Last edited:

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA

Just like now.
You are trying to read between my lines. Just read the lines. Nowhere have I said nor indicated that I am worried about anything. I am merely informing the people that believe the process is going to be the same as in the past that they are going to be disappointed. If it was going to be the same they would have kept the BCS.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Your unproven assumption does not refer to what you refer to next. This is what you said:

If this were true (as you allege), then the rules would say, "Must be conference champion," which they decidedly do not.

Look, were we the better team? Sure.

But please tell me how you justify taking Alabama over Oklahoma State? How can you possibly say it would have been some sort of injustice if OSU had gone? They had the same record, they won the conference title and - most importantly - they played a tougher schedule than we did.

The flip argument is simple - they lost to Iowa State. A bowl team. On the road. So to call it "correct" is certainly the fans opinion but doesn't actually make it correct. Make no mistake - had we lost to LSU, there would have been no end of screaming about the injustice.

My goodness, this is nothing but a martyr complex.

I'll tell you what we DO have now we did NOT have before: if we go unbeaten, we will:
a) be conference champions
b) be in the playoff
c) be the national champions

And if we lose.....well, we are no more deserving of "a second chance" than anyone else. What this ensures is that 1966 will never happen again. Make no mistake: I don't like the panel idea, but it's not really any worse than any other poll. I'm with TM09 - just use the top four in the BCS. Nobody ever complained about that. Well, okay, they did in 2009.
What this ensures, IN MY OPINION, or UNPROVEN ASSUMPTION as you would call it, is that, in 1971, #3 AP Ranked Oklahoma would be replaced in the playoff by, most likely, #10 AP Ranked Penn State. Which had just lost to #9 AP Ranked Tennessee, which was only the FOURTH highest AP Ranked SEC team. Behind #2 Alabama, #5 Auburn, and #6 UGA. #8 Arizona State would have been passed over because they were in the WAC.

http://www.collegepollarchive.com/football/ap/seasons.cfm?appollid=390#.UzwTRKhdXnE

Last edited:

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
It needs to go to 8 teams, this "testing the waters" thing with 4 teams is ridicules. 100% political.

The real question should be 8 or 16 teams, such as in D1 Subdivision Championships. The 9 + ranked team never wins, but the 5-8 ranked teams do.
I'd say 8 teams is perfect. #9 never has an argument for a national championship.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I'd say 8 teams is perfect. #9 never has an argument for a national championship.
I agree with this. Since we are abandoning the BCS selection format and now relying on an unbiased blue ribbon selection committee, then it should be 8 teams rather than 4. I simply do not believe a group of 13+ members can be without bias year end and year out.

Last edited:

bamadp

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2006
Sheffield, Al.

Just like now.
You can say that about any sport be it college football,BB, the NBA, NFL, MLB etc...win all your games and your champions.

I don't think anyone is afraid that an unbeaten SEC champ won't be amongst the final four. It's a pretty obvious pick. What most are saying (and I agree) is that when another Okie St./Bama scenario occurs, where two teams are trying for that last spot, whether it's Bama or whomever, this "committee" will have the leeway to vote for whoever they like and they'll have new "criteria" to justify their choice. Teams from outside SEC territory will have an advantage over SEC teams simply because they will draw more viewers, not because they may be better. During that Okie St./ Bama debate, most felt Bama was the better team, but most wanted to see Okie St.. The BCS voted for the better team, but apparently the better team was the wrong choice because the BCS was scrapped after sixteen years, and it was scrapped for a reason....to get different results.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.