Blog: Latest Bama News 3/31/14

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Alabama defensive end A'Shawn Robinson looks older than he is and plays like it, too | AL.com via rbr
Auburn University's athletics department reported a deficit of $865,994 for its 2013 fiscal year, according to the university's most recent NCAA financial report. This marked the first time Auburn listed a deficit since AL.com began tracking college athletics financial data eight years ago.
I'm not posting this to troll Auburn but to show that not every athletic department, even those in the mighty SEC, are lands flowing with milk and honey. I don't want to start another "pay for play" argument but I still don't see where the money will come from for most schools.

Looking at 2012 data, only 52 schools operated with a surplus of a million+ and 98 either broke even or were in the red. (the entire list below includes 228 schools.) And if the thought is you pay each player 100k each year (without covering their tuition) an AD department would have to make at least 8.5 million a year (100k X 85 players) just to cover that figure. This would leave only 13 schools with that ability...
rbr op

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.