Holy Grail Found (or so it is being claimed)

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Well, the claim is that the actual chalice is inside of that golden cup.
I'm a little confused by the article. (Hard to believe I know) I thought it said that the Holy Grail was inside the chalice. past tense. I usually watch "America Unearthed" on the History Channel. Last show, Scott Wolter, the forensic geologist, was sure he had found the Grail in a secret room next to a well in Virginia? Fell asleep before the end. The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown was a good book. Holy Grail was a blood line of Jesus.

No Grail shown in Da Vinci's painting "The last Supper".

[

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
I'm pretty sure it's not the actual grail. It doesn't look a thing like this:

These guys need to be a little more meticulous with their research.

Last edited:

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Let's settle this right now--have someone drink from it:

All kidding aside, the movie's point about the actual grail being a simple vessel, not something ridiculously ornate, has always resonated with me. So I'm a wee bit skeptical.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
I understand to an extent the difference some see in this cup verses the others he may or may not have drank from. It amazes me the time and effort that is put into this. I kind of fall along the lines of Hezekiah when he destroyed the bronze snake staff of Moses. Undue emphasis on relics can be dangerous.

Last edited:

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
I understand to an extent the difference some see in this cup verses the others he may or may not have drank from. It amazes me the time and effort that is put into this. I kind of fall along the lines of Hezekiah when he destroyed then bronze snake staff of Moses. Undue emphasis on relics can be dangerous.
Color me cynical, but I think this particular "relic" has had its desired impact. But whatever makes people happy...

Crowds Swamp Church in Spain After 'Holy Grail' Claim

I bet book sales are going through the roof as well.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
While this may very well be the chalice - at least the wooden portion prior to being gilded - that many 4th and 5th Century Christians may have regarded as the 'Holy Grail', I have serious doubts as to whether or not it is the actual cup that was blessed by Christ and then passed around the table at the Last Supper.

Of course, I view pretty much anything denoted as "authentic" by the Catholic Church (from the Nicene Council until now) with a grain or two million of salt. :) After all, this is the same group that sold enough "pieces of the cross" to build to build Noah's Ark. To scale. Multiple times. :rolleyes:

It's also the same group that deemed a man a heretic, put a price on his head, and - after finally "catching up to him" after he had already died - dug up his body and burned it at the stake. His heresy? He translated the Bible into English.

It may or may not be fair to lump all 1600 or so years of the Catholic Church together but whenever I hear "the Catholic Church" my mind tends to translate that into "the Holy Roman Church" of the Middle Ages - which was truly neither Holy nor Roman.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
Don't get me wrong. Part of me would love to see something if I know for a fact that the son of God touched it.

While I do have what I guess is a normal Protestant aversion to these things, I do somewhat understand the fascination, and the desperation of people seeking relief.

Even the Via Dolorosa (probably the best documented locations we have) has had different sects arguing what is authentic based on what they controlled, but it is still a moving journey I would like to take.

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
Don't get me wrong. Part of me would love to see something if I know for a fact that the son of God touched it.

While I do have what I guess is a normal Protestant aversion to these things, I do somewhat understand the fascination, and the desperation of people seeking relief.

Even the Via Dolorosa (probably the best documented locations we have) has had different sects arguing what is authentic based on what they controlled, but it is still a moving journey I would like to take.
I agree, but as you seem to be saying, the most important thing Jesus touched for me was my heart!!

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
No Grail shown in Da Vinci's painting "The last Supper".
That's because Da Vinci was a grand master of the Priory of Sion. Old Leo already had the grail safely hidden away in his super-secret private vault and left it out of the painting to throw people off the trail. The Priory is still in the possession of the grail, even though the secret organization is now known as the Red Elephant Club, but I can't talk about that.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
That's because Da Vinci was a grand master of the Priory of Sion. Old Leo already had the grail safely hidden away in his super-secret private vault and left it out of the painting to throw people off the trail. The Priory is still in the possession of the grail, even though the secret organization is now known as the Red Elephant Club, but I can't talk about that.
First rule of Red Elephant Club: don't talk about Red Elephant Club.

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama
This may have already been posted, but if I understand correctly, "the Holy Grail" was a medieval-times invention. There is no evidence that it existed and no mention of it prior to like 1300 AD (might be earlier than this, but it was not anytime near the time of Jesus' ministry). Maybe I've got my wires crossed, but I don't believe there is any such thing.

Last edited:

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
This may have already been posted, but if I understand correctly, "the Holy Grail" was a medieval-times invention. There is no evidence that it existed and no mention of it prior to like 1300 AD (might be earlier than this, but it was not anytime near the time of Jesus' ministry). Maybe I've got my wires crossed, but I don't believe there is any such thing.
I think they are just saying this is the one (or at least one of them) that was revered as the authentic one in early medieval times. Unless I missed something the admit the first 400 years of its history is murky.

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama
I think they are just saying this is the one (or at least one of them) that was revered as the authentic one in early medieval times. Unless I missed something the admit the first 400 years of its history is murky.
Ah... I suppose I should have read the article first

but what fun is that?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.