Is it just me, or has news out of Spring Camp been Exceptionally sparse?

BAMAfan777

1st Team
Jun 25, 2010
I've been following Bama Spring Ball for years, has this not been the most quiet in terms of updates on how the positional battles are going, or am I imagining it?

RTR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
IMO, it has been pretty quiet. I've been hearing scuttlebut that Kiffin is introducing some significant changes in the offense however. Perhaps that's one reason why we haven't been hearing as much this year.

I also think that many of the position battles are likely to be pretty wide open, and we won't really know much for sure until fall.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
IMO, it has been pretty quiet. I've been hearing scuttlebut that Kiffin is introducing some significant changes in the offense however. Perhaps that's one reason why we haven't been hearing as much this year.

I also think that many of the position battles are likely to be pretty wide open, and we won't really know much for sure until fall.
Expected no less. Why advertise any changes of our offense.
Ex. Many yrs. ago T Town was exceptionally quiet when we installed the Wishbone.
Not expecting return to throwback offense, but changes are likely to our offense.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I don't think this spring is significantly different than others. You really have to get past the first scrimmage to see anything at all filter through. The one thing I see as different was a statement Saban made in his press conference yesterday where he really ran down his defensive lineman. It's rare for him to do that. Usually if they suck the worst you're going to get is "they are working hard". For him to throw them under the bus like that is an indication that he's REALLY mad they haven't done better. After seeing an average DL for years I'm disappointed we aren't seeing improvement, BUT, Bo just got back on the job so given time I think he will get things moving.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I doubt we see any major changes other than some tempo and more utilization of the TE and backs out of the backfield.
I agee - Kiffin does a better job mixing up plays and rolling in things like RB screens and passes to TEs, but his offense is very similar to that run at Alabama over the past 4 years or so.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
I may be off base totally, but I think the offensive changes may not be great in terms of scheme but other changes may be startling to some of us. I do think play calling will be improved over all. I have read many places that Kiffin was developing a HUNH offense based on a pro set scheme like Bama runs. Every attempt to get some common sense rules in place to just allow the officials to do there jobs have been unsuccessful. This means fight fire with fire. The ability to slow it down and grind when needed would still be present, but a steady dose of Yeldon, Drake, and Henry over and over as fast as possible could be the nastiest thing ever if the O-line is just above average. D-Lines and LB's would be worn out quickly with a power game over and over. Some news leaked out about how the offense is being "simplified". This leads me to believe that the HUNH could be a real possibility. There would be no real need to "simplify" the offense if it is going to be status quo. Young players have excelled at Bama on offense, so it is not needed to get young players into the system quicker. I for one would love to see Bama's depth used to pound people into submission in this manner.

sabanball

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
High Cotton
Some news leaked out about how the offense is being "simplified".
Are you referring to this "leak" (A Cooper's comments) about the "terminology" (not the scheme) being simplified?

Rising junior A Cooper likes the early changes the former USC and Tennessee coach brought when hired as the Alabama offensive coordinator. Cooper said Kiffin was "player friendly" while simplifying the playbook terminology.

"The way plays are called," Cooper said, "it's easy to recognize what you have to do as a player."
Mash here for article

I have read many places that Kiffin was developing a HUNH offense based on a pro set scheme like Bama runs.
Can you provide those links please?

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
.......a steady dose of Yeldon, Drake, and Henry over and over as fast as possible could be the nastiest thing ever.......
And just when you (the defense) finally sense a bit of relief late in the 3rd quarter when Saban "calls off the dogs", here comes all 6'1" and 250LBS of Jalston Fowler to run over you a little bit more. LOL!

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Expected no less. Why advertise any changes of our offense.
Ex. Many yrs. ago T Town was exceptionally quiet when we installed the Wishbone.
Not expecting return to throwback offense, but changes are likely to our offense.
I heard kiffin's installing "the flying Theban wedge" offense.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think the quietness is partly due to a lot of star leadership graduating. It doesn't concern me much because vocal leadership in the mic is probably the least important type of leadership in this sport. No offense to McCarron, but he was talking the talk last year but it still didn't help get all of the 85 guys walking the walk in late November. Not to blame him...actually quite the opposite. Vocality just doesn't matter that much. I think the football beat guys not having a QB to swarm on for "the word" probably makes the news stories less interesting too.

I don't think it is quiet because they're installing some hidden offensive scheme either. Kiffin is basically going to run our same old offense with a little more IZR/OZR and better 3rd/4th down calls. These are Kiffin's strengths: pro style and solid 3rd schematics. Pace will likely be integrated but I get the feeling that we're not about to mimic Auburn or Oregon.

sabanball

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
High Cotton
I don't think it is quiet because they're installing some hidden offensive scheme either. Kiffin is basically going to run our same old offense with a little more IZR/OZR and better 3rd/4th down calls. These are Kiffin's strengths: pro style and solid 3rd schematics. Pace will likely be integrated but I get the feeling that we're not about to mimic Auburn or Oregon.
I am thinking the same.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.