Engstrom Leaving the Program

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Didn't The Swede only play one year of organized round ball before he came to Alabama? I wish Carl the best.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Didn't The Swede only play one year of organized round ball before he came to Alabama? I wish Carl the best.
I believe you are right. He was a very talented handball player until he just got too big. He does have some skill and glad he is making a living playing basketball.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Makes me sick to my stomach thinking of wasted talent. That's all I've got to say about that!

Last edited:

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
I would imagine that the Swedish pro league is way down the list, but heck, last I heard Erwin Dudley was playing in Turkey or somewhere like that.

I always liked Carl because it appeared to me that he is a good guy, a good team mate, and someone who tried as hard as he could.

rtr

Last edited:

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
He came in as a project from day 1. He had the physical ability, but was never taught the basic fundamentals correctly. He could not rebound for anything. He'd go up with 1 hand and try to rebound. He could score a little when he got a chance, but was never a much a a threat do much of anything. Both he and his brother attended the university BTW. His brother was about 6'7 or so as well.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Engstrom left last year and was not with the team this year at all. We had 2 transfer and 3 sign so we'll have one more than Grant normally had. I don't think he had a full roster of 13 scholarship players ever in his 6 years. I could never figure out why he would not sign more players. Who knows you may find a diamond in the rough. As I remember Jim Farmer was from a small school and wasn't recruited heavily, but turned out to make it a few years in the pro's.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I thought Carl was making good progress until his injury. Didn't he miss quite a bit of time?
Agree on making progress. He didn't have quick feet but he did develop good footwork and positioning on defense. He ran the floor better and better and worked pretty good for position on the post. I don't think he got to the point where team mates trusted getting him the ball down low. Part of the problem was catching (or not catching to be correct) but the other part was many players never learned when to feed the big guy.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.