Engstrom Leaving the Program

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Good luck to you Carl. I have enjoyed watching you during your time at Alabama. Congrats on your degree.

mark4tide

1st Team
Mar 7, 2005
Hoover, AL
Good luck to him. Can't really blame him. He will get his degree next month and does not have a chance to play in the NBA. Why not go ahead and try and make money?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Good luck to him. Glad he got his degree and has other options other than pro ball over seas.

Forgive my ignorance of the situation, but can a guy who had very little success at a below average SEC program expect to actually make a pro roster in Europe??? I know he's big, but does he offer anything else, really?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Good luck to him. Glad he got his degree and has other options other than pro ball over seas.

Forgive my ignorance of the situation, but can a guy who had very little success at a below average SEC program expect to actually make a pro roster in Europe??? I know he's big, but does he offer anything else, really?
He'll do better in Europe than he did here. He's suited better for the European game than American.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL

He has potential. You can't teach someone to be 7'1" with decent quickness. I think his knee injury hindered his development at UA but obviously we have a lack of player development for our inside players which didn't help.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
He also stated he might want to play another year at the collegiate level if he doesn't get a decent offer from any European team which is a distinct possiblility. He could improve his stock greatly with consistent playing time at a mid major. He always had potential, but we have not done a good job of developing projects in the last 5 years.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Forgive my ignorance of the situation, but can a guy who had very little success at a below average SEC program expect to actually make a pro roster in Europe???
Yeah, starting power forward, San Marino Matadors - if he's not drafted No. 1 by the Lichtenstein Louvre Doors...

Seem to recall the Swede was a pro team handball player before Grant brought him to the US. His hands never seemed to work very well for him on a basketball court, but that was an American college basketball court.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Actually, Europe has an "excellent" basketball "D-League" system. So he will get great coaching and teaching.

Yeah, starting power forward, San Marino Matadors - if he's not drafted No. 1 by the Lichtenstein Louvre Doors...

Seem to recall the Swede was a pro team handball player before Grant brought him to the US. His hands never seemed to work very well for him on a basketball court, but that was an American college basketball court.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'm not trying to be harsh but I just don't see it. He looked incredibly slow and awkward when I remember seeing him play and his hands were not good at all.

If CE becomes a star, even a quality contributor at that level, it will be a railing commentary of CAG lack of player development.

Good luck to him.

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
Immediate Help Wanted! The University of Alabama is seeking a post player with the following qualifications: Rebound on the defensive and offensive board, block shots, score 8-10 points on a consistent basis, block out other large men and catch the ball while moving. The successful candidate should contact Alabama Head Coach Anthony Grant IMMEDIATELY!

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
You forgot "passing" ability. I'd like at least 15pts. a game, but that can be made up with assists.

Immediate Help Wanted! The University of Alabama is seeking a post player with the following qualifications: Rebound on the defensive and offensive board, block shots, score 8-10 points on a consistent basis, block out other large men and catch the ball while moving. The successful candidate should contact Alabama Head Coach Anthony Grant IMMEDIATELY!

Last edited:

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
You forgot "passing" ability. I'd like at least 15pts. a game, but that can be made up with assists.
I would love to see 15 points a game coming from a player in the post or a combination of players in the post. Taylor is going to be good, he just needs to improve his strength. We need a compliment with him inside.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.