Altee TenPenny in trouble with the law

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
I know several people who have been pulled over at night for no tag light. One of them got a DUI because of it. While DUI is certainly a crime he was committing, otherwise his driving was fine and had no other violations pertaining to any reason for being pulled over. How did the cop know he had been drinking? This was in Arab, and they were going to Wal-Mart for something. The cop told him he looked suspicious because they just circled Wal-Mart and headed back out. His wife had left her money at home and they were headed back to get it, they stopped him about a block from his house.

So yes in this state they will pull you over for no tag light, especially if you look suspicious. :)
Doesn't mean it's legal for them to do it.

I've got a modified tag mount because I installed a rear tire mount on the back of my Jeep. I hated how much space a full size spare took up in my back cargo area so I got a rear tire mount. It covers up the license plate, so my only option was to relocate the plate to keep it visible.

I've actually been wondering what to do about not having a tag light at night, but now - if I ever get pulled over for it - I'll just kindly remind them that it isn't against the law.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Doesn't mean it's legal for them to do it.

I've got a modified tag mount because I installed a rear tire mount on the back of my Jeep. I hated how much space a full size spare took up in my back cargo area so I got a rear tire mount. It covers up the license plate, so my only option was to relocate the plate to keep it visible.

I've actually been wondering what to do about not having a tag light at night, but now - if I ever get pulled over for it - I'll just kindly remind them that it isn't against the law.
No, it doesn't. I'd point out that there is some room for local variation. Even though there doesn't seem to be a state statute against it, there may be a city ordinance covering it. Also not to be ignored is possible LEO ignorance of the law. I've had one good friend who was a city officer here and some of his misconceptions were startling. Also, after being rear-ended and totaled on Governors Drive here (and damned lucky not to have been killed). The kid who hit me had just gotten his license and was calling home and simultaneously gawking off to the side, where they were loading my wife's car onto a flat bed. There was a not a hint of a skid mark. They estimated his speed at 60, in 5:00 rush hour traffic - on New Year's Eve. Anyway, one of the police officers offered me a ride home, which I accepted. Unfortunately, we were not friendly by the time we reached my house. He expounded on auto accident law and he was totally confused. I finally told him that and pointed out that I was an attorney, and I didn't know who'd told him all that, but his information was bad. Naturally, he didn't like it. Huntsville is a wealthy community. I shudder to think what they're told in smaller, poorer towns...

Mamacalled

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2000
Pelham, Al
I think a tag light burned out would not get you pulled over most of the time. This is the first time I've ever heard of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I manage a service department and it is not uncommon for someone to come in to get a tag light put in after getting a citation. Usually a fix it ticket

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
No, it doesn't. I'd point out that there is some room for local variation. Even though there doesn't seem to be a state statute against it, there may be a city ordinance covering it. Also not to be ignored is possible LEO ignorance of the law. I've had one good friend who was a city officer here and some of his misconceptions were startling. Also, after being rear-ended and totaled on Governors Drive here (and damned lucky not to have been killed). The kid who hit me had just gotten his license and was calling home and simultaneously gawking off to the side, where they were loading my wife's car onto a flat bed. There was a not a hint of a skid mark. They estimated his speed at 60, in 5:00 rush hour traffic - on New Year's Eve. Anyway, one of the police officers offered me a ride home, which I accepted. Unfortunately, we were not friendly by the time we reached my house. He expounded on auto accident law and he was totally confused. I finally told him that and pointed out that I was an attorney, and I didn't know who'd told him all that, but his information was bad. Naturally, he didn't like it. Huntsville is a wealthy community. I shudder to think what they're told in smaller, poorer towns...
:eek2:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
What stands out to me is (according to the PR) he had just toked up with his brother?

We all know how important it is for our student athletes (and young folks in general) to have positive role models.

This kid is a University of Alabama football player with a very bright future. How special is it to be a member of the Crimson Tide football team?

And his brother doesn't somehow provide intervention?

I wasn't there and don't know how it all went down, of course, but I just wish these kids would realize how precious their opportunities are and stop doing stupid stuff. As well as surround themselves with better people, if possible.

As to the license plate light - I can't tell you how many times when a Gator is busted for something during a traffic stop I see several posts about how the Gainesville PD is targeting our student athletes. Everytime I just shake my head. If you can't do the time don't do the crime.

Hoping for the best for Altee - if anyone can help him it's Coach Saban.

beatthemtigers

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
2 grams? It's not like he's dealing or anything. At my work, I've seen a few previous Bama players come through and I'll talk to them about little things hear and their. But one of the things that got brought up was more athletes smoke than you might expect. But for cripes sake if your going to do it, stay in your house!

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
The stuff should be legalized everywhere, period. It is literally a 100x safer than alcohol. I'd rather these players do this than drink. Had to throw this in. That being said, he shoulda stayed put. When driving, weed makes you just as susceptible for an accident as alcohol does. Hope he learns his lesson here.

Bluegrasstide

1st Team
Oct 31, 2010
Pikeville KY
The stuff should be legalized everywhere, period. It is literally a 100x safer than alcohol. I'd rather these players do this than drink. Had to throw this in. That being said, he shoulda stayed put. When driving, weed makes you just as susceptible for an accident as alcohol does. Hope he learns his lesson here.
I will buy that it is safer than alcohol. This is not from experience, but from pure statistics (at least the statistics we were given in the College of Criminal Justice). Nevertheless, it is illegal. Players are under the microscope. If this was your average college student it is just another night. However, student athletes are held to a different standard, albeit wrong or right. I hope he makes better decisions and focuses on the tremendous opportunities ahead of him. Running backs under Saban seem to make a habit of winning SEC and National Championships. The simple fact is, when given the opportunity to play RB at the University of Alabama, you forfeit the right to the "carefree college student" excuse. The standard is higher. I hope this young man makes better decisions and puts this behind him because he seems to have the potential to be one heck of a running back. Our past four starters at this position have played in the league.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Exactly..I've smoked pot before & admit that I did when I was younger, but, if I were a RB at Alabama under Coach Saban..There's no way in hell I'd chance that opportunity to be a part of "The Process"..Plus..I don't care what anyone say about smoking pot, it abuses the heck out of your lungs, and that can hamper your production, when you become a starter & get a lot of carries in the RB rotation..It will make you huff n puff grasping for air & cause you to become winded a lot faster than a non -smoker & that could eventually hurt your chance of making the big $$$$$ in the NFL..I really wish these kids would think things through before taken a toke while trying to earn your spot on the football team at Bama..JMHO
I will buy that it is safer than alcohol. This is not from experience, but from pure statistics (at least the statistics we were given in the College of Criminal Justice). Nevertheless, it is illegal. Players are under the microscope. If this was your average college student it is just another night. However, student athletes are held to a different standard, albeit wrong or right. I hope he makes better decisions and focuses on the tremendous opportunities ahead of him. Running backs under Saban seem to make a habit of winning SEC and National Championships. The simple fact is, when given the opportunity to play RB at the University of Alabama, you forfeit the right to the "carefree college student" excuse. The standard is higher. I hope this young man makes better decisions and puts this behind him because he seems to have the potential to be one heck of a running back. Our past four starters at this position have played in the league.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
The debate over the legality of pot or its safety compared to alcohol or tobacco is best reserved for the NS forum. As of now, it is illegal and it does not make the team look good if you are busted with it. As we are pretty deep at RB right now, you don't want to give Saban an excuse to thin the herd at that position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Yup. I'm always amazed. Cops get super powers during cadet school I guess. I mean why even pay all that money for drug K-9's if the cops can sniff out 1/16oz of pot in a plastic bag mind you from outside the car.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
I know several people who have been pulled over at night for no tag light. One of them got a DUI because of it. While DUI is certainly a crime he was committing, otherwise his driving was fine and had no other violations pertaining to any reason for being pulled over. How did the cop know he had been drinking? This was in Arab, and they were going to Wal-Mart for something. The cop told him he looked suspicious because they just circled Wal-Mart and headed back out. His wife had left her money at home and they were headed back to get it, they stopped him about a block from his house.

So yes in this state they will pull you over for no tag light, especially if you look suspicious. :)
Ah, Arabs finest! I was stopped there late one night because the officer said I had "swerved and almost ran off the road". He had me do a field sobriety test. I wasn't drunk or even drinking, he just wanted to stop me. Apparently if they want to make a stop they invent a reason.

Luvubama

All-SEC
May 26, 2008
Charlotte NC
Ah, Arabs finest! I was stopped there late one night because the officer said I had "swerved and almost ran off the road". He had me do a field sobriety test. I wasn't drunk or even drinking, he just wanted to stop me. Apparently if they want to make a stop they invent a reason.
Arab, my hometown! I miss it.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The problem is - and I'm not saying it's the situation with AT at all - is that, when suburban kids come home at five to a room of his parents having cocktails, a lot of our players come, or have come, home to a living room of adults toking up and the atmosphere is colored blue with smoke. (We've had one recent hero who handled it by fleeing the house every night until late.) It's a hard lesson for kids to swallow, particularly when they're in a position to judge close up the much worse effects of excessive alcohol and meth. It's hypocritical and, if they were their ages, I definitely find it so. Ergo - these "problems" will continue to come up...

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
The problem is - and I'm not saying it's the situation with AT at all - is that, when suburban kids come home at five to a room of his parents having cocktails, a lot of our players come, or have come, home to a living room of adults toking up and the atmosphere is colored blue with smoke. (We've had one recent hero who handled it by fleeing the house every night until late.) It's a hard lesson for kids to swallow, particularly when they're in a position to judge close up the much worse effects of excessive alcohol and meth. It's hypocritical and, if they were their ages, I definitely find it so. Ergo - these "problems" will continue to come up...
Probably one of the better observations in the history of Tidefans. Environment, i.e., culture, determine a lot -- just about everything at the age of late teens, early 20's. Trying to get a young man to think more than 12 hours down the road is never easy...never! There is a reason most coaches hate Spring Break!

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
Yup. I'm always amazed. Cops get super powers during cadet school I guess. I mean why even pay all that money for drug K-9's if the cops can sniff out 1/16oz of pot in a plastic bag mind you from outside the car.
[Cop pulls over car]

Driver: "Can I help you officer?"

Officer: "Yes, you've got a broken tail light"

[Cop begins visibly sniffing]

Officer: "Sir, will you step out of the car please?"

[Driver steps out]

Officer: "I caught the odor of... Krispy Kreme in there. Chocolate-covered, glazed?"

Driver: "Yes, officer. Do you want one?"

Officer: "Well, driving without a tail light is pretty dangerous. How about three?" ;)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.