Algie Key Leaving Also

pchil86

3rd Team
Feb 16, 2014
In my opinion, algie didn't help out the team that much....he was a liability on defense, couldn't hit a jump shot, and didn't provide much scoring.......he probably saw that freshman devin mitchell would take most of his minutes and decided transfer....honestly we just needed him for this season anyway with the departure of Lacey

Last edited:

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
As expected, "move along, nothing to see here" with every departure.

The fact that we have so many players leaving who "weren't much help to the team" but garnered major minutes is a coaching issue in and of itself.

AlexD

1st Team
Jun 19, 2009
Engstrom leaving is not a big deal and as far as talent Key is not either. But then why on earth recruit him here!! I am tired of the excuses and not having a full roster.

pchil86

3rd Team
Feb 16, 2014
Engstrom leaving is not a big deal and as far as talent Key is not either. But then why on earth recruit him here!! I am tired of the excuses and not having a full roster.
He was recruited because of the unexpected departure of lacey, we needed a guard to fill his spot....it was late in the signing period so not much to choose from and for what it's worth, he put up good numbers in JC

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Do we know where Algie is going? Since he was a JUCO, he may only have one year left. He may have two, though.

He showed potential at times, but he only did one thing well - drive. He didn't shoot deep. He went to the basket. We already have Levi, Coop, Trevor, and Retin to do that. He wasn't going to play if his only positive is driving the lane.

pchil86

3rd Team
Feb 16, 2014
According to grant, "with algie, he wanted more of an opportunity to play more consistent minutes and play a bigger role".....that wasn't gonna happen at Alabama next year especially with the freshman coming in that appear to be way more talented than him.....I'm totally ok with this transfer and understand his reasoning for wanting to leave

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Yep. After a losing season and 3 straight 20-win seasons, Anthony Grant has an unusual number of departures.
20 wins are not that much any more in CBB. Kinda like 10 wins in CFB isn't a "great" year anymore

AlexD

1st Team
Jun 19, 2009
[QUOTEYep. After a losing season and 3 straight 20-win seasons, Anthony Grant has an unusual number of departures][/QUOTE]
20 wins against mostly bad to decent teams. Getting to the dance is what matters. Having a full roster at some point would help even more.

BigA

Scout Team
Dec 21, 2013
Trussville, Al
Bottom line...the trend of losing players every year continues (Hankerson, Gueye, Lacey,Pollard, etc). As a result, we continue to be plagued by numbers. BTW...dont be surprised if Slaughter and Jacobs move on as well. I agree Engstrom and Key are no major losses...except a loss in the numbers game. A man off the bench that has "college game" experience and can fill in when needed.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
20 wins are not that much any more in CBB. Kinda like 10 wins in CFB isn't a "great" year anymore
You missed my point. The post I quoted indicated Algie and Carl left because they wanted to win. No Bama hasn't been knocking down the W-L record books, but Grant has won. Even with those wins, he's still had 2 to 3 transfers an offseason. So, let's not act like the bad season is the only reason Carl or Algie is leaving.

BamaMTA06

All-SEC
Sep 9, 2007
I really wish people would look at how many players transfers from schools each year as well as roster numbers. Basketball ain't football. You'll never see a full roster because kids don't want to sit. Grant has his issues, but this isn't one. I hate to see Key leave, but if he's leaving because he wants more playing time then what more can a coach do?

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.