Player Friendly Coaches

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
How do we even apply what a "player friendly" coach might be???

I've read things on this forum that suggests CAG doesn't run a player friendly type program.

I don't think "player friendly" means that there are no rules or that a coach is not willing to discipline players...no coach can run a program for very long like that.

The way I've interpretted that is that practice and game atmosphere on the court, in the huddle, and in the locker room is too tight or tense that it promotes a repressive atmosphere.

My question is, if CAG is not a player friendly coach, could this explain why we've had such a problem with players (starters and subs) leaving almost every year?

Maybe a better question is "What could CAG do differently to change this?" (if this is really a problem)

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Yes, Alabama has about two transfers a year. That's fact. However, the numbers suggest that's common throughout college basketball. I believe over 400 players transferred last year. Florida had a few guys transfer last year. Does that mean Donovan isn't a player's coach?

pchil86

3rd Team
Feb 16, 2014
Players are leaving because other reasons other than the coach

Devonta pollard - legal issues with court case

Carl engstrom - graduated and wanted to play pro overseas

Algie key - wanted more playing time

Trevor Lacey - wanted to play in a different type of offense (wanted to be used in a different role)

Ben Eblen - graduated, wanted to get a masters at another school

Charles hankerson - I assume wanted more playing time

Moussa Gueye - wanted to play in a more post oriented offense (I believe?)

Bottom line is this, players transfer all over the country, this is not just an Alabama problem....I don't believe grant is not a player friendly coach....I don't get that impression from him when I watch games....but then again, that's like people saying nick saban is not player friendly...he's all business and grant takes a similar approach but who knows how they are during practice or behind close doors in meetings with players

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
There have been some veiled comments from mods about what players say "privately" vs. what they say publicly or in the press.

pchil86

3rd Team
Feb 16, 2014
There have been some veiled comments from mods about what players say "privately" vs. what they say publicly or in the press.
True.....I'm just speaking specifically to the issue of transfers not just an Alabama issue but an issue nationally with college basketball

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
To me the issue is the players who are leaving all played major minutes up until they left. It's not just disgruntled players at the end of the bench leaving.

Grant may or may not be a player friendly coach, but he most certainly is not a fan friendly coach.

yesitsmed23

1st Team
Aug 28, 2008
Huntsville, AL
I know Trevor Lacey's little brother personally and he says Trevor like CAG as a person and a man, but his coaching style, offensive style/philosophy, and him wanting Trevor to play PG was the reason he left. He told me that whenever bama would try and run a fast break type of offense during the game (which that's when we are at our best), CAG would get mad at them and get all over them for not slowing the ball down and playing half court offense. I don't understand this because we do not have a dominant post guy to run a half court offense, we were awesome in transition and blew teams away when we got up and down the court on offense.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I know Trevor Lacey's little brother personally and he says Trevor like CAG as a person and a man, but his coaching style, offensive style/philosophy, and him wanting Trevor to play PG was the reason he left. He told me that whenever bama would try and run a fast break type of offense during the game (which that's when we are at our best), CAG would get mad at them and get all over them for not slowing the ball down and playing half court offense. I don't understand this because we do not have a dominant post guy to run a half court offense, we were awesome in transition and blew teams away when we got up and down the court on offense.
Good post and precisely the kind of thing that puzzles me too. Why slow the game down to play half court offense when we don't have a dominant inside game and shooters (other than TR this past year) who are not great shooters???

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
To me the issue is the players who are leaving all played major minutes up until they left. It's not just disgruntled players at the end of the bench leaving.

Grant may or may not be a player friendly coach, but he most certainly is not a fan friendly coach.
How do we want to quantify "major minutes?" I looked at the transfers since the 2010-2011 season.

Player (average minutes in last season with the team)
Jason Carter (6.0)
Kendall Durant (9.3)
Ben Eblen (7.1)
Charles Hankerson (11.3)
Moussa Gueye (15.4)
Devonta Pollard (17.9)
Trevor Lacey (31.3)
Carl Engstrom (11.8)
Algie Key (15.4)

Devonta didn't willingly leave the program. He's one guy we can't blame Grant for. Clearly, Lacey fits the "major minutes" category. Because of the way Alabama uses big men, Moussa and Carl play a decent amount of minutes.

Not doubting you when I say this, but I don't understand that. That's what he did at VCU. That's when we're at our best. That goes against what Bama did his first 3 years here. I noted in the "future" thread how the press defense has lessened as Grant's tenure has continued. We played more of it later in the season and did well. That baffles me.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
How do we want to quantify "major minutes?" I looked at the transfers since the 2010-2011 season.

Player (average minutes in last season with the team)
Jason Carter (6.0)
Kendall Durant (9.3)
Ben Eblen (7.1)
Charles Hankerson (11.3)
Moussa Gueye (15.4)
Devonta Pollard (17.9)
Trevor Lacey (31.3)
Carl Engstrom (11.8)
Algie Key (15.4)

Devonta didn't willingly leave the program. He's one guy we can't blame Grant for. Clearly, Lacey fits the "major minutes" category. Because of the way Alabama uses big men, Moussa and Carl play a decent amount of minutes.
I'd classify any bench player who averages playing at least 25% of every game as major minutes. These guys didn't just log minutes in blow out wins or losses.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.