Mozilla CEO Brendan Eich forced to resign because he didn't support gay marriage.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Another one bites the dust thanks to the group that claims to be tolerant of other peoples views.

http://www.zdnet.com/mozilla-ceo-brendan-eich-resigns-amid-controversy-7000028041/

I'm so sick and tired of people's lives being ruined because they don't share the same opinion as the gay community. They need to practice what they preach, so he support Prop 8, big deal many others did as well.

This just upsets me, if you don't support gay marriage you may lose your job. That's a scary precedent IMO.

Bama Torch in Pcola

Hall of Fame
Dec 18, 2002
People can decide which services to use by whatever criteria they choose. In this case Mozilla was afraid the guy would cost them business. That's fine. As long as they are ready for the backlash from the other side. To me, this says more about the megalomaniacal pro homosexual crowd than some internet company.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Another one bites the dust thanks to the group that claims to be tolerant of other peoples views.

http://www.zdnet.com/mozilla-ceo-brendan-eich-resigns-amid-controversy-7000028041/

I'm so sick and tired of people's lives being ruined because they don't share the same opinion as the gay community. They need to practice what they preach, so he support Prop 8, big deal many others did as well.

This just upsets me, if you don't support gay marriage you may lose your job. That's a scary precedent IMO.
Life ruined? That's a bit melodramatic, don't you think? The guy invented javascript; I wager he'll be okay.

I don't think "tolerance" applies to this situation. If someone doesn't like the grey Toyota I drive and absolutely must make that known to me, that's an act of intolerance. It's also relatively harmless to me. Now, if someone dislikes my grey Toyota to the point of actively trying to prevent me from owning one, that's an act of hostility toward me and other lovers of grey Toyotas. Now despite what some on here would believe, it's not the goal of the gay movement to make everyone like us. What we seek is an end to hostile acts toward the LGBT community, such as the Prop 8 legislation that Mozilla's former CEO not only supported, but donated towards.

This man practiced open hostility, not simple intolerance. I consider it a tremendous victory that an anti-equality stance is not only being seen as increasingly unacceptable on a societal level, but also now as liable in the realm of business.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Let someone get fired for supporting gay marriage and let's see what happens.
...and in a sense, he was fired because of his sexual preference. Surely he can sue Mozilla because we all know that a gay individual being fired for his sexual preference would certainly have a nice little case for discrimination.

Edit: And now there's a litmus test the next candidate must pass.

Last edited:

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
So I guess he would have been fired if he didn't support bestiality or child molestation as well. All are unnatural acts.
I fully support your right to believe that homosexuality is unnatural. I don't agree, but I support your right to believe it. When you equate it to bestiality and especially child molestation, you've completely gone off the deep end. I can't even take that seriously.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
Life ruined? That's a bit melodramatic, don't you think? The guy invented javascript; I wager he'll be okay.

I don't think "tolerance" applies to this situation. If someone doesn't like the grey Toyota I drive and absolutely must make that known to me, that's an act of intolerance. It's also relatively harmless to me. Now, if someone dislikes my grey Toyota to the point of actively trying to prevent me from owning one, that's an act of hostility toward me and other lovers of grey Toyotas.
Well, then you are NOT going to be happy about Prop 9. :biggrin2:

Bama Torch in Pcola

Hall of Fame
Dec 18, 2002
This man practiced open hostility, not simple intolerance. I consider it a tremendous victory that an anti-equality stance is not only being seen as increasingly unacceptable on a societal level, but also now as liable in the realm of business.
You're use of the phrase "practiced open hostility" is nothing more than a baseless attempt to shift the paradigm of the argument. It's a grouping of scary sounding words designed to elicit an emotional response. The guy voted his conscience in a state election and made a lawful donation to help pass a law.

Please explain how this constitutes "open hostility". Also, I would like to know why people who do not agree with you are not allowed to vote their consciences?

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
You're use of the phrase "practiced open hostility" is nothing more than a baseless attempt to shift the paradigm of the argument. It's a grouping of scary sounding words designed to elicit an emotional response. The guy voted his conscience in a state election and made a lawful donation to help pass a law.

Please explain how this constitutes "open hostility". Also, I would like to know why people who do not agree with you are not allowed to vote their consciences?
I'd consider contributing to the denial of equal rights, be it through direct action or financial support, to be an act of hostility no matter the group in question.

And you'll have to show me where I restricted his freedom to vote however he wishes.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I'd consider contributing to the denial of equal rights, be it through direct action or financial support, to be an act of hostility no matter the group in question.

And you'll have to show me where I restricted his freedom to vote however he wishes.
If Prop 8 were an unconstitutional denial of rights, why did the state allow it to be on the ballot?

Bama Torch in Pcola

Hall of Fame
Dec 18, 2002

The old "we are not getting special treatment so our rights are being infringed" argument. Anyone who disagrees is a hostile biggot. I get it.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
Mozilla is almost exclusively funded by Google. Despite my belief that they subtly take political stands in several ways, Google claims to take very few public positions on political issues. That said, here's their public statement from September, 2008:

...while there are many objections to this proposition -- further government encroachment on personal lives, ambiguously written text -- it is the chilling and discriminatory effect of the proposition on many of our employees that brings Google to publicly oppose Proposition 8. While we respect the strongly-held beliefs that people have on both sides of this argument, we see this fundamentally as an issue of equality. We hope that California voters will vote no on Proposition 8 -- we should not eliminate anyone's fundamental rights, whatever their sexuality, to marry the person they love.
It makes sense that if the huge corporation opposes a proposed law strongly enough to take a public stand on it, it would not want the CEO of one of its largest funded daughter corporations to publicly support and fund a campaign to pass that law. The fact is Google may easily have just let it be known that unless Mozilla made a change, there would be changes to Mozilla's funding.

I support gay marriage. I support freedom of political thought and sponsorship. I support freedom to reap rewards and endure consequences for our choices. And I also support a corporation's right to make employment decisions based on its bottom line. My only issue with this particular situation is that if he were fired for opposing Prop 8 rather than supporting it, he would win a huge lawsuit. And you can bet that the legal fees would be paid by the very same people who are supporting this firing. And that's hypocrisy.

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Marriage has always been a privilege conferred by society. Communities have a vested interest in any marriage particularly as it relates to reproduction.
and I, for one, am very glad that our society is gradually deciding to confer that privilege on gay americans.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.