JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Spring analysis: Seven big questions facing the 2014 team
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
April 4th, 2014 04:03 AM

. By Jess Nicholas, TideFans.com Editor-In-Chief April 4, 2014   Typically, questions surrounding a Nick Saban-coached program in the spring have to do simply with new starters at positions vacated by seniors who have graduated or underclassmen headed to the NFL Draft.   But the 2014 Alabama team will have a more complex set of […]

Read More Here

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Clear, tough and fair analysis -- and the defensive backs don't even make the list. That said, nobody in the coaching office appears to be sleeping on any of this. And thanks for a realistic review of both top quarterbacks.

Last edited:

Atl Joe

1st Team
Nov 27, 2010
Thanks for the write-up, Jess. Thorough as always.
I do believe kicking will be a strength this year and that Griffith will win them 2 games with clutch kicking. That kid is something special.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Clear, tough and fair analysis -- and the defensive backs don't even make the list. That said, nobody in the coaching office appears to be sleeping on any of this. And thanks for a realistic review of both top quarterbacks.
Agreed. CNS reshuffling his coaching staff says enough. This is going to be a tough spring and summer for these guys I bet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It’s not beyond the realm of possibility in the least that special teams cost Alabama another national championship in 2013.
There is no question that it cost us the opportunity to play for another NC.

Assuming we would have handled MO, Bama vs. FL. St. would have been an battle of heavy weights!

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Truly a rebuilding year here. I am modestly surprised that Cristobal managed to escape criticism in Jess' article. Cyko regressed along with others along the line and I dont think that was just by accident. Just from the looks of it - the coaching as much as anybody let the team down this past year. A certain level expectation level was not upheld by the coaches and it translated into less focus by the players on game day. Honestly, the whole team look like they threw it onto auto-pilot after the LSU game.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Thanks for another story that shows thought and insight. It IS sort of surprising that the defensive backs avoided mention in this piece. Maybe their own feature is in the near future.

Still puzzled by the Lindsay exit. Hard to believe there wasn't a spot at guard OR center for him.

Enjoy your work, though don't always agree.

Last edited:

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
I couldn't agree more on your point about the defensive line. For whatever reason we just do not seem to get after it. I know our schemed isn't set up to be aggresive on early does but even when it's pass rushing type situations we don't have great results. For the last two years especially I've had no confidence that we would get to the QB. The only time I really remember sacking the QB was how we finished off LSU this year, but that had more to do with the situation than our pass rush ability.

I think Coach has recognized it with the DL coach change, the emphasis on fast twitch pass rushers, and just the number of DL that we signed in this last class including two junior college guys.

I hope Bo Davis factors in here, because we got much better pressure from his DL than we have been getting recently. Deaderick, Zo, Dareus, and Cody were penetrating into the backfield way more often.

Hopefully immediately, but more probably a bit down the road guys like Rashaan Evans, Christian Miller, and Deshawn Hand could really change the type of player that we've had at certain positions and add a pass rush element that has been lacking.

I feel the decline of our defense last season was cyclical. We simultaneously struggled at DB and at DL/OLB. We couldn't get pressure on QBs at all and left our musical chair CB rotation in a bad spot. If we can just improve the DL/OLB performance next year we should have better success in the secondary regardless of whether the secondary improves or not.

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL
I am also concerned about the lack of pressure that the defense has been bringing. I understand that the goal of CNS's defensive scheme has been to predict an upcoming play, substitute to get an ideal package to defend it and then force the play to move in a direction that you have completely covered up. This approach does not really disrupt the play as make it flow to a point where you can snuff it out with little or no gain. But such an approach does not work well against a HUNH team, as substitutions are limited by the rules and the HUNH's exploitation of them. Teams like Stanford that are successful in defending against HUNH teams seem to run a more aggressive disruptive defensive strategy. And we are going to see a lot of HUNH offenses this year, given what happened against Auburn and Oklahoma.

bamakeeb

3rd Team
May 2, 2011
Truly a rebuilding year here. I am modestly surprised that Cristobal managed to escape criticism in Jess' article. Cyko regressed along with others along the line and I dont think that was just by accident. Just from the looks of it - the coaching as much as anybody let the team down this past year. A certain level expectation level was not upheld by the coaches and it translated into less focus by the players on game day. Honestly, the whole team look like they threw it onto auto-pilot after the LSU game.
I'm not sure what the deal was. But, I think the coaches were not comfortable with them from the start. That's why we had OL shuffling during the second scrimmage of fall camp. Also, we can't underestimate the poor communication. That leads to players not playing at full speed because they're trying to think instead of just acting.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'm not sure what the deal was. But, I think the coaches were not comfortable with them from the start. That's why we had OL shuffling during the second scrimmage of fall camp. Also, we can't underestimate the poor communication. That leads to players not playing at full speed because they're trying to think instead of just acting.
Nobody has mentioned that last year we were missing the presence of Barret Jones who knew what every player on the line was supposed to be doing, regardless of position. That certainly might explain the communication issue our line seemed to struggle with all year long. Blown assignments and unblocked d-linemen going untouched into our backfield was pretty much a regular event. Jones played every position on the line IIRC, guard, tackle and center and he was as intelligent of a player as you'll find!

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Nobody has mentioned that last year we were missing the presence of Barret Jones who knew what every player on the line was supposed to be doing, regardless of position. That certainly might explain the communication issue our line seemed to struggle with all year long. Blown assignments and unblocked d-linemen going untouched into our backfield was pretty much a regular event. Jones played every position on the line IIRC, guard, tackle and center and he was as intelligent of a player as you'll find!

We shouldn't have to rely on a preternatural intellect in order to have an effective offensive line.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
We shouldn't have to rely on a preternatural intellect in order to have an effective offensive line.
Correct, except for the fact that when he's been on the field for four straight years and the last two as the undisputed leader of the OL and then you remove his presence, his absence was surely a part of the OL struggles.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Correct, except for the fact that when he's been on the field for four straight years and the last two as the undisputed leader of the OL and then you remove his presence, his absence was surely a part of the OL struggles.
Communication PLUS a significant drop off in talent and experience. We may never know if Cyrus was really that good or simply benefitted from playing with the best line in Alabama history.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Communication PLUS a significant drop off in talent and experience. We may never know if Cyrus was really that good or simply benefitted from playing with the best line in Alabama history.
Well he did have Chance Warmack playing next to him. Many people on here have already said he seemed to be worried about he brother last year which cause him to not focus on his guy as much. So yes I'd say it was more of him playing with such a great o line in 2012. The only other ones that would compare are 2001 Miami and 2004 USC. CK's chances at being a 1st rounder are all but gone at this point but his chance to have a good career is still there for him.

Last edited:

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
True but like what he said about CJ could be said with having Barrett was tantamount to cheating. I think he is the best (for sure the smartest) o lineman that has ever played for Alabama other than John Hannah. It's not often you have a senior center that has started at guard and tackle also.

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
After a lot of thought on Cristobal, this is the conclusion I reached about each key guy:

RT Shepherd: Went from being a decent backup to being a real force. If we're going to criticize coaches for guys who don't develop, we have to praise them when one of their players exceeds expectations.

RG Steen: Was expected to have a strong year, and did.

LG A.Kouandjio: Top-level recruit who is playing on bad knees, which is no one's fault. It's obviously genetic, as Cyrus had a touch of the same problem. Where I fault the coaches here is not going back to Kellen Williams after the midpoint of the season, or using Lindsay here after Kelly came back, or trying Leon Brown, Alphonse Taylor or Grant Hill. This is a Saban thing more than a Cristobal thing, though, because it has happened all over the field -- i.e., Barron playing against AU with one shoulder while Will Lowery was available.

LT C.Kouandjio: Obviously injuries played a part, and probably not a small one. You can tell from his combine numbers that it wasn't just about his knees, though (BP numbers, etc.). I think part of it was trying to protect his draft spot, maybe some basic maturity issues. But there was an awful big dropoff here from his first couple of years on campus, and whether that was due to Cristobal, or something internal with Cyrus, I don't know. Again, I fault the coaches for not giving him some bench time to think it over if they thought it was a want-to thing, but this is more complicated than the situation with his brother. The backup LT was a true freshman, Grant Hill, or Leon Brown, who was in the doghouse himself early in the year. And if the coaches were hesitant to simply bench Arie for Kellen, a guy that nearly won the LG job out of spring himself, fat chance on sitting the only LT they really had.

And now, we have the center conundrum. Kelly started the season poorly, got hurt, then after he came back he played his toosh off. He was as good as Shepherd or Steen post-injury. Now, why was he out there at the start? Even though Kelly isn't the biggest guy, he is clearly more athletic than Lindsay, and probably any other lineman on the team. But I think the answer here revolved around line calls. Lindsay was more aggressive, stronger and did better going downhill than Kelly did. But Kelly was better in pass pro and the line-call issue is something that is very hard for anyone to get a clear understanding of while watching on TV or from the stands. Sometimes, one of the guards looks to have gotten blown up, and it's the center's fault for making the wrong call and/or failing to help trap block. How many of Arie's whiffs were Lindsay's or Kelly's fault? It's impossible to say. Where Cristobal fits into that is whether he's (1) picking the right people, (2) giving them proper technical coaching and (3) making sure he's giving them a mental game plan they can execute. If he failed No. 3, at least off the bat, then things would play out the way they appeared to, with a lot of early struggles, followed by a gradual improvement throughout the year. The remaining soft spots could be blamed on the injuries to Kelly, the brothers Kouandjio and finally Steen in the bowl game.

Summary: Cristobal started rough and got better.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
After a lot of thought on Cristobal, this is the conclusion I reached about each key guy:

RT Shepherd: Went from being a decent backup to being a real force. If we're going to criticize coaches for guys who don't develop, we have to praise them when one of their players exceeds expectations.

RG Steen: Was expected to have a strong year, and did.

LG A.Kouandjio: Top-level recruit who is playing on bad knees, which is no one's fault. It's obviously genetic, as Cyrus had a touch of the same problem. Where I fault the coaches here is not going back to Kellen Williams after the midpoint of the season, or using Lindsay here after Kelly came back, or trying Leon Brown, Alphonse Taylor or Grant Hill. This is a Saban thing more than a Cristobal thing, though, because it has happened all over the field -- i.e., Barron playing against AU with one shoulder while Will Lowery was available.

LT C.Kouandjio: Obviously injuries played a part, and probably not a small one. You can tell from his combine numbers that it wasn't just about his knees, though (BP numbers, etc.). I think part of it was trying to protect his draft spot, maybe some basic maturity issues. But there was an awful big dropoff here from his first couple of years on campus, and whether that was due to Cristobal, or something internal with Cyrus, I don't know. Again, I fault the coaches for not giving him some bench time to think it over if they thought it was a want-to thing, but this is more complicated than the situation with his brother. The backup LT was a true freshman, Grant Hill, or Leon Brown, who was in the doghouse himself early in the year. And if the coaches were hesitant to simply bench Arie for Kellen, a guy that nearly won the LG job out of spring himself, fat chance on sitting the only LT they really had.

And now, we have the center conundrum. Kelly started the season poorly, got hurt, then after he came back he played his toosh off. He was as good as Shepherd or Steen post-injury. Now, why was he out there at the start? Even though Kelly isn't the biggest guy, he is clearly more athletic than Lindsay, and probably any other lineman on the team. But I think the answer here revolved around line calls. Lindsay was more aggressive, stronger and did better going downhill than Kelly did. But Kelly was better in pass pro and the line-call issue is something that is very hard for anyone to get a clear understanding of while watching on TV or from the stands. Sometimes, one of the guards looks to have gotten blown up, and it's the center's fault for making the wrong call and/or failing to help trap block. How many of Arie's whiffs were Lindsay's or Kelly's fault? It's impossible to say. Where Cristobal fits into that is whether he's (1) picking the right people, (2) giving them proper technical coaching and (3) making sure he's giving them a mental game plan they can execute. If he failed No. 3, at least off the bat, then things would play out the way they appeared to, with a lot of early struggles, followed by a gradual improvement throughout the year. The remaining soft spots could be blamed on the injuries to Kelly, the brothers Kouandjio and finally Steen in the bowl game.

Summary: Cristobal started rough and got better.

Did anybody have the guts to ever ask any of the staff members why they didn't get Cyrus some help during the Sugar Bowl? I'm not sure how many more times he was going to have to get beat by #11 for someone on our sidelines to realize he needed help.

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.