First scrimmage in the books

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
if two true freshmen - even if they're 5-stars - start at corner...its going to be a frustrating season on defense and we better hope Sims or Coker is a playmaker.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Unfortunately injuries are going to happen at the level Bama plays at, our players play just as hard, if not harder during our scrimmages, as they do during an actual game..Cause scrimmages are when starting spots are won or lost, and they fight for the starting spots at Bama, and injuries are naturally going to happen..That's why Coach Saban recruits so hard..I hate that any Player gets injured, we will be fine though, cause the Players that steps up are just as talented as the Players in front of them..And it gives Players a chance to get the needed reps to step up into the role as a starter when a injury happens this early of the sesaon..

It was a non-contact injury. Playing hard didn't really have much to do with it.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Let's not name Brown and Humphrey as a starter for the CB this year yet... Last year was a struggle for sylve, jackson, Jones, and we were very thin at CB and safety. Now that Jones, Jackson have a year under their belt, I expect them to be more consistent. They should be able to play the game faster. Last year was all mental issues. Brown and Humphrey, talented as they are, they're going to struggle ths year grasping the concept of the game.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Saw several posts on other boards that EJ was in great pain and MRI will likely reveal a tear.
It can happen in an instant to someone like Eddie, or you can move wrong if your an old man like me...
Hope Eddie fares better than me. My surgery for a tear is Friday...
(My knees are wore out)

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
It can happen in an instant to someone like Eddie, or you can move wrong if your an old man like me...
(My knees are wore out)
Hope it goes well, Dan.

You're in my prayers for a successful procedure and recovery, brother.

As is Eddie...

And yes, as you suggest, apparently his was a non contact play...

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
The starters at corner are going to be named Brown and Humphrey.
If Sylve doesn't start, it will be because of injury. Was hearing prior to today that he and Jackson had separated themselves from the others somewhat.

The likelihood that Humphrey will start is pretty low. Only Kareem Jackson has been a first-day starter at CB as a true freshman under Saban for guys that didn't get here until fall camp. Brown has a much better chance to be Jackson's replacement.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
(My knees are wore out)
I'll be praying for you...mine is the week after Easter -- tore my meniscus and it has just not improved but worsened. I like to do too much to limp around for another few months.

b2v4ua

All-SEC
Dec 12, 2009
Springville,Al
The 1st scrimmage of the spring is a good sign, but we'll see how it goes next scrimmage. Can they be consistent in their effort?

I"m curious about Blake.. the passes he completed, were they on slant plays? Screen plays? play action? IT's hard to take his stats seriously until we know what plays he went through. I wanted to know if he can change the plays at the scrimmage and did he do it well. Can he throw a long ball to receivers on spot? I'm more curious about his progress than his stats. That goes for wide receivers.
I agree with you on Blake. I posted on the thread about the 3 QB's about how I wonder about his long ball. I realize he worked with somebody on spring break but I just don't think 3 or 4 days could make that much of a difference. I like Blake and if he can do the job so be it. I always felt ok with him in a take over if AJ had to be out for the rest of a game but starting QB??? I don't know.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
As far as db's go...if Bama had come up with a decent pass rush last year, we wouldn't even be talking about this. If the front 7 perform better than last year, the db's will not be an issue. Could probably put muppets back there...well, maybe not muppets... :wink:

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
it seems each new season the first scrimage is hard to decipher. I don't put any stock in the first one. I still the problem to be unknown qb, corners, def line, off line. my biggest worry is the off line. in the pro set it has to be strong. our experience this year is limited at left tackle, right guard, and skill set at left guard. I still question the center position, and chad Lindsay not getting a starting position at either center or guard. Michigan will be getting a solid off lineman
Kenyon drake is still showing his talent at rb. his burst gets him thru the line earlier than any back, the off line does not have to hold theirblocks as long.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Eddie Jackson to have MRI on injured knee tomorrow.

Tony Brown injured a shoulder falling over a hurdle recently and was in black non contact jersey.

Yeeeesh...

LB Reuben Foster suffered a stinger, described by CNS as a minor injury.

Coach did say that it is a recurring thing...

Some stats courtesy of al.com:

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2014/04/alabama_spring_scrimmage_stati.html
I hope that`s not the same shoulder he injured before and that kept him out of the UA game. Suddenly getting real thin at CB this early?

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Good luck on your surgery, too, Paderuf.
I hope these young CB's get positive news on the extent of their injuries and recover quickly. We need the depth and they need the experience.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
The starters at corner are going to be named Brown and Humphrey.
Sometimes I wish CNS would tweek his system to make it easier for freshman CBs to contribute. However I think Brown and Humphrey will fare a little better than Milliner and Dre did in 2010. For one, we won't be number-one-ranked defending champs. Personally I can't wait to see them take the field.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I have never thought you can make a firm analysis of spring practice results except to rule out those who will likely not contribute in the fall.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
I have never thought you can make a firm analysis of spring practice results except to rule out those who will likely not contribute in the fall.
That is it. You identify potential weaknesses in the roster, and you separate the wheat from the chaff with respect to the players who will legitimately contribute in the fall and those that will just become roster filler and depth chart fodder. People trying to distill more from spring practice than that are mainly just searching for fool's gold.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.