Saban names Top 3 QBs based on Scrimmage

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2014/04/blake_sims_alabama_qb_competition.html

"Blake has had a really good spring and has taken some command," Saban said after the closed scrimmage Saturday. "Cooper Bateman has made a lot of improvement and done a great job. Alec (Morris) is still competing. So those three guys have sort of emerged as the three guys that look like they're the most ready to play. Nobody is disappointed in anybody else."

Sims was 16 of 23 for 227 yards and two touchdowns, according to stats released by UA He hit Amari Cooper for a 75-yard score.
Bateman, a redshirt freshman, was 14 of 24 for 102 yards and Morris completed 9 of 12 passes for 57 yards. Stats weren't available for redshirt freshman Parker McLeod or true freshman David Cornwell.
But Saban touched on Cornwell's progress coming off an ACL injury last fall.
"We actually feel like our freshman, who's coming off an injury, has a lot of potential," Saban said. "He's just not 100 percent healthy yet. So we're pleased with the progress those guys have made."

Players are saying it's going to be real close competition this spring and this coming fall as well. Blake has improved so much to the point that Saban is starting to feel comfortable with him. I've been saying all along that Sim will come out of spring as a favorite to challenge Coker for the job. Bateman could be competing with them in the fall.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
In a regular season game, I don't think many would complain with our QB going 16-23 for 227 yards and 2 TDs. Of course, those numbers may not be 100% accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I agree, it's a start though... If he can put up a consistent number, then there is no reason for him to not have a chance to win the job.
In a regular season game, I don't think many would complain with our QB going 16-23 for 227 yards and 2 TDs. Of course, those numbers may not be 100% accurate.

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
What happened to Coker? I thought he was in the mix too.
Coker doesn't join the team until fall camp. He's still an FSU student awaiting graduation so he can transfer.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I wouldn't at all be surprised if Parker is gone before Coker gets here. It looks like Alec is hanging in there, and considering he'd have eligibility left after Sims and Coker are gone, and is basically the backup punter, I'm leaning towards his sticking around.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Maybe the best news here is that Cooper Bateman is realizing his potential. That is great news, especially that he may become another option, if nothing else as a capable backup option.

The fact that Blake can "run out of trouble" is a double edged sword in that he may run too soon sometimes.

I'd say that we shouldn't be too terribly surprised that Blake Sims looks to be the clear leader for the job going into the fall, considering the competition.

But the real race for the job probably begins this summer when Coker gets on campus and then it'll kick into high gear in fall camp.

b2v4ua

All-SEC
Dec 12, 2009
Springville,Al
I have a hard time imagining Blake having improved his long ball that much. I know he worked during spring break. I like Blake and would be happy if he can do the job, however, wouldn't it be better to have a guy playing this year that will be around more than just this season. Breaking in another guy in 2015 again.....

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I have a hard time imagining Blake having improved his long ball that much. I know he worked during spring break. I like Blake and would be happy if he can do the job, however, wouldn't it be better to have a guy playing this year that will be around more than just this season. Breaking in another guy in 2015 again.....
It won't be a popular opinion here, but FWIW, I tend to agree.

However, if Blake Sims is consistently better than Coker, when he gets here, we should expect BS to be the guy.

We know that CNS likes loyalty, but I also can't imagine him playing BS unless he gives us the best chance to win.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama

Well, we've had extraordinarily good luck with 1st year starters recently.

:D

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
respectfully disagree. If Sims starts and leads us to another NC, I and all of Bama Nation would be estactic. I want the best man to win the QB position, regardless of how many years he has left on his eligibility.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I posted a link a few weeks back that had Kiffin's 2010 USC playbook against UCLA the zone read was in it. I expect we'll see it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.