CB Eddie Jackson suffers knee injury...

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Kerry Goode-now there's a blast from the past. One of the most impressive single game performances in Alabama history. Played the game of his life. I was at that game and I remember he kind of jogged off the field. I didn't think it was that bad. Next thing I hear, he'd torn his knee up.

Kerry tried hard and even played some fullback his last year. He even played a little for the Tampa Bay Bucs. Poor guy.
That was one of the best games I have ever witnessed a Bama running back have. He did it all that night.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I think we as fans tend to overreact. Both ways.

Gene Jelks' and Kerry Goode's injuries happened between 25 (Jelks) and 30 (Goode's) years ago.

There have been great advances since then. IF Eddie Jackson does have a tear, it's recoverable today.

That said, we also tend to expect too much in terms of rehab. Even the best-conditioned athletes don't recover from a torn ACL in a year. As much as we might wish otherwise, it's 12-18 months for full physical and mental recovery. No amount of wanting it to be different is going to change that.

If Eddie does have a torn ACL, we'll see him good as new. But it'll be in 2015.

radrobot

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 4, 2010
Per Alex Scarborough tweet: Alabama CB Eddie Jackson has a torn ACL and will miss the rest of spring practice, sources tell ESPN. Story coming shortly.

Zaiva

1st Team
Feb 27, 2013
Per Alex Scarborough tweet: Alabama CB Eddie Jackson has a torn ACL and will miss the rest of spring practice, sources tell ESPN. Story coming shortly.
I get home from work and read this. Man, today has sucked. Hopefully he makes a full recovery as quickly as possible. I hate it for him

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Jonathan Cook, Anthony Averett, and Maurice Smith your time is now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crimson57s

1st Team
Aug 18, 2012
This is sad. Best wishes and prayers for his speedy recovery. I hope to see him back next spring, at the latest.

Bama in Quebec

1st Team
Aug 10, 2013
Quebec city
This will open the door wide for Humphrey.
Humphrey or Tony Brown who is already on campus...

Maurice Smith, Cook and Averett already have a full year on campus. They have to step up quickly or the new speedsters could have a really good chance to see the field as early as this year...Let's not forget Sylve and Jones who are probably right now the front runners.

What do you think ?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Cary Clark of BamaMag tweeting Eddie should have a 5 month recovery and be back mid-September. We'll see how accurate that is when Saban speaks to the media today.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Cary Clark of BamaMag tweeting Eddie should have a 5 month recovery and be back mid-September.
Sounds like Cary is still on a 72-hour crimson kool-aid bender. A five-month recovery timeframe for a torn ACL would be unbelievably quick, even in an era of far advanced recovery periods. If Eddie is back anywhere near 100% at eight months, he'll be doing extremely well. Keep in mind that Adrian Peterson, who might have had the fastest ACL recovery we've ever seen, wasn't cleared for contact until nearly eight months post-op, and really didn't start getting back to his peak level of performance until nearly ten months out.

Probably the absolute best case scenario for Eddie is that he can make it back in November and contribute in the final few games. I think any expectation putting him back before that is highly unrealistic, and frankly even that timetable is probably pushing the envelope.

Obviously I hope Eddie makes it back on the field as soon as possible, but I'm afraid the reality of his injury and the timing of it means that his 2014 season is just going to be a wash-out. We are going to need some other guys to step up at corner and produce.

Last edited:

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
Humphrey or Tony Brown who is already on campus...

Maurice Smith, Cook and Averett already have a full year on campus. They have to step up quickly or the new speedsters could have a really good chance to see the field as early as this year...Let's not forget Sylve and Jones who are probably right now the front runners.

What do you think ?
We could have two freshman starting CBs this fall. Both have the talent and the ones already on campus struggled last year. It will be interesting to see how this shakes out come September.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Sounds like Cary is still on a 72-hour crimson kool-aid bender. A five-month recovery timeframe for a torn ACL would be unbelievably quick, even in an era of far advanced recovery periods. If Eddie is back anywhere near 100% at eight months, he'll be doing extremely well. Keep in mind that Adrian Peterson, who might have had the fastest ACL recovery we've ever seen, wasn't cleared for contact until nearly eight months post-op, and really didn't start getting back to his peak level of performance until nearly ten months out.

Probably the absolute best case scenario for Eddie is that he can make it back in November and contribute in the final few games. I think any expectation putting him back before that is highly unrealistic, and frankly even that timetable is probably pushing the envelope.

Obviously I hope Eddie makes it back on the field as soon as possible, but I'm afraid the reality of his injury and the timing of it means that his 2014 season is just going to be a wash-out. We are going to need some other guys to step up at corner and produce.
:rolleye2:
I was just passing along what Cary said. Thought it was fairly optimistic. Then, Saban said this today:

"Eddie Jackson had an MRI Sunday which confirmed that he had ligament damage in his knee that required surgery," Saban said in a university statement. "We have a great medical staff here and he will have the full support of everyone in the organization as he goes through the rehab process. We are confident Eddie will make a full recovery and be ready to go this fall."

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
Hope Coach is right, but "ready for this fall" could mean anything from September to December, really. Who knows?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.