Polls and NCAA Basketball

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Polls and NCAA Basketball make no sense anymore and I really don't think there is any reason for seeding purpose. We have a 7 and 8 seed playing for the National Championship on Monday. The only standings that are needed are the conference races all of the other is "fluff" and a waste of space.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Interesting point. The teams build up their standings early in the season with tournaments and out-of-conference games. Some teams improve more than others over the course of the season so their performance during conference play (i.e. 2nd half of season) may be a better indicator of what they will do in the NCAA tourny. Of course, if the NCAA tournament was started over with the exact same seeding, there is no telling what teams would make it to the Final Four.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
You can judge it by what is done during conference play on the court and Won/Loss record when entering conference play.

But then how would we judge SOS, which is also used for RPI?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
No. Everyone starts out with a 0.00 RPI at the beginning of the year and as you play it get's better when you beat teams with a better record than yours and you also earn points that you would for beating other teams.
So then OOC becomes pointless?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
No. Everyone starts out with a 0.00 RPI at the beginning of the year and as you play it get's better when you beat teams with a better record than yours and you also earn points that you would for beating other teams.
So OOC matters until conference play starts? What are you suggesting happens?

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
All games matter, but you don't get to start out as a number 1 team which can over inflate a teams RPI. I'm suggesting we get rid of AP/UPI/ESPN/USA TODAY polls.

So OOC matters until conference play starts? What are you suggesting happens?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
All games matter, but you don't get to start out as a number 1 team which can over inflate a teams RPI. I'm suggesting we get rid of AP/UPI/ESPN/USA TODAY polls.
How do you judge SOS then? I know what you're meaning. However, the polls are necessary for other rankings.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Wins/Losses of your opponent vs. the wins and losses of your opponents Opponents. However, your ranking in your conference should reflect that performance.

How do you judge SOS then? I know what you're meaning. However, the polls are necessary for other rankings.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.