How do you feel about the Sugar Bowl loss?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I guess you may be right about us in particular, but let's not act like Big Game Bob is anything other than a colossal flop artist, either. His past record certainly suggests that had the Sugar Bowl been unbeaten us versus unbeaten him, he would have lost in spectacular fashion. It wasn't - he won, give him credit. It's just like the fact his team won doesn't prove his stupid claim about the SEC being overrated true. Simply look at the on-the-field results in bowl games and everywhere else.
And that's my exact point. When it comes to us and OU, until we can actually beat his teams on the field I don't see how any Alabama fan can make fun of him. Yeah, overall he's choked in a lot of big games but the poking fun is reserved for those who don't go 0-3 against him. I'm just of the school of thought that I don't talk trash about someone or some team that I've yet to prove I can beat. LSU, Florida and the other schools who have drummed him on the field have every right to talk trash. To the victors got he spoils.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
Sorry, but I just can't buy that it's due to a new mindset among today's players. Personal pride and the desire to compete should cross ALL lines and it appears to do that in other parts of the country in other bitter rivalries such as Bama/allbarn.

Let's start with the premise that in Coach Saban's 7 years Alabama has enjoyed an edge in talent, right? Yet we only lead 4-3 in that period. Even discounting that 1st year in 2007 when the boogs had a talent edge, it's still 4-2 and we had substantial leads in those 2 losses.

Now let us look at some other bitter rivalries where one team had a definite edge in talent and how the more talented teams fared.

Oregon is 6-1 over Oregon State

OU is 6-1 over OSU

UGA is 6-1 over GTech

USC is 5-2 over UCLA. (UCLA won last 2 under Mora while USC suffered under Kiffin)

So it would appear that other teams of this "new era" seem to be taking care of business. Why not us?

This is not meant as a dig at Coach Saban, I'm ecstatic with the job he's is doing for us and especially in championship games where he has been totally dominant. He's the best in the business today and one of the best ever. I would not trade him for anyone and I'm confidant that he'll get this anomaly straightened out because I'm sure it bothers him more than any of us.

It's just that this is not Alabama football and should not be condoned.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
Buzz,

While I understand the sentiment, the fact OU beat us doesn't change the fact that Bob Stoops crumbles nearly every single time he's in a big game. Maybe we need to play OU with something actually at stake - I have a hunch we'd see a different result.

oops came up big in 2000. No argument. But ever since then he has not only lost, he has crashed and burned in spectacular style MULTIPLE times. His rep was not earned because he lost one close game to Boise State. If that were his only faux pas, Stoops would be in that category of great coaches who had an occasional hiccup. Coach Saban lost to UAB his first year at LSU, ULM his first year at Alabama, and Utah in the 2009 Sugar Bowl after we'd been number one for five weeks late in the year. Those were considered somewhat humiliating losses. However, Saban's record is full - far on the other side - of big wins like the 2001 SECCG, the 2004 BCSNCG (against Stoops, no less, where Saban was the underdog), and the great run since 2009. Our losses during that time have been to GOOD teams, including this year's OU team.

Stoops not only loses at inopportune and ridiculous times - he gets humiliated. One week his 2003 OU team was being called the greatest ever; the next, he was losing by four TDs to a three-loss K-State team, and the game wasn't even that close (KSU could have beaten them by a couple of more TDs). Then there's the USC obliteration. Losing is one thing; not even showing up FOR THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME is something different. I don't care if USC's entire offense was on the take, there's no way they should have been 36 points better than a good OU team.

Now regarding the three recent OU wins over us - in 2003, OU BARELY (with a fake punt) beat a 4-9 mediocrity with a head coach on the job only four months serving major sanctions. Ole Miss beat us by double what OU did. For that matter, Hawaii - HAWAII - had an easier time with our 2003 disaster than "the greatest team of all-time." We were supposed to lose that game, but we weren't supposed to be within seven at the end.

Look, OU beat us fair and square on the field, and I've never said anything else about that. Seven turnovers - give them credit and you won't beat anybody. You've not heard me say things like it was because we weren't ready or whatever. I think it stands to reason that letdowns DO happen and lack of intensity and focus can help you lose, but it's no acceptable excuse to me.

I guess you may be right about us in particular, but let's not act like Big Game Bob is anything other than a colossal flop artist, either. His past record certainly suggests that had the Sugar Bowl been unbeaten us versus unbeaten him, he would have lost in spectacular fashion. It wasn't - he won, give him credit. It's just like the fact his team won doesn't prove his stupid claim about the SEC being overrated true. Simply look at the on-the-field results in bowl games and everywhere else.

Dang Selma, that's kinda awesome.

:BigA: :BigA: :BigA:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Sorry, but I just can't buy that it's due to a new mindset among today's players. Personal pride and the desire to compete should cross ALL lines and it appears to do that in other parts of the country in other bitter rivalries such as Bama/allbarn.

Let's start with the premise that in Coach Saban's 7 years Alabama has enjoyed an edge in talent, right? Yet we only lead 4-3 in that period. Even discounting that 1st year in 2007 when the boogs had a talent edge, it's still 4-2 and we had substantial leads in those 2 losses.

Now let us look at some other bitter rivalries where one team had a definite edge in talent and how the more talented teams fared.

OU is 6-1 over OSU

UGA is 6-1 over GTech

USC is 5-2 over UCLA. (UCLA won last 2 under Mora while USC suffered under Kiffin)

So it would appear that other teams of this "new era" seem to be taking care of business. Why not us?

This is not meant as a dig at Coach Saban, I'm ecstatic with the job he's is doing for us and especially in championship games where he has been totally dominant. He's the best in the business today and one of the best ever. I would not trade him for anyone and I'm confidant that he'll get this anomaly straightened out because I'm sure it bothers him more than any of us.

Great post TM!

I'm at a loss too to figure out why CNS has struggled with Auburn. When he was hired he said we would "dominate" the other school in the state, but except for the two blowouts we've had with them in those years, it's the one thing he hasn't really done that he set out to do.

Perhaps Auburn just has better teams and is closer to us in talent than any of us is willing to admit, but the the collossal collapse in 2010 is still the most puzzling game I've ever seen as a Bama fan. If we win that game and crush the Barn's NC hopes that year who knows what might have happened in the series?

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

OU is 6-1 over OSU

UGA is 6-1 over GTech

I agree entirely - my point is that fewer and fewer players appreciate current rivalaries, and the real problem is that our coaches aren't buying in to it, either.

I appreciate the stats above, but none of those rivalries holds a candle the Iron Bowl.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
I'm at a loss too to figure out why CNS has struggled with Auburn.
Maybe the players think less of them than we do. Or, should I say, take them less seriously. API's season is one game, and they are up for it.

When API has success, it is usually when they sneak up on teams. Bet there are a lot of teams that have the API game circled, this year. We'll see how good they are when folks are out to get them.

Rollingtide66

Feb 19, 2014
Then last two games were Deja Vu of the end of 2008. Complacent is not the real issue. It was giving up after we lost the IB. That; plus having 3 NC' s In 4 years, and they gave up after losing to Auburn. Yes, They are human..With human feelings. Roll Tide! They will be back in 2014.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

wishbonesooner

1st Team
Jun 26, 2001
Shawnee, OK USA
You folks are aware of my unhappiness with Bob Stoops. I sold my season tickets and didn't attend one Sooner game for the first time since 1977. I have to decide soon if I'll sell the again this season.
The entire Sooner Nation was ready to take an a** whipping that night. Why we were able to move the ball against the best defense in America is a mystery. I've said before I would rather have beaten a Bama team that brought their A game. I don't feel they had it that night. It helped our recruiting, but it's over and time to get ready for next season.
I'm ready to play you guys next season! What do you think?

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
HTML:
Kids today don't recognize any of those teams as Dynasties. To them the Dynasties come from the 90's up until now. Their Powerhouses are Miami, FSU, USC, Florida and Alabama.
So, our tradition pre-1992 doesn't matter anymore in today's world of college football? Am I understanding you correctly?

Last edited:

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

OU is 6-1 over OSU

UGA is 6-1 over GTech

Amen. I refuse to accept this premise as well Tommy. History and tradition are intrinsic parts of college football. Once those pieces are thrown out the window, as some seem to be arguing on here in this thread, then we are no longer talking about the same sport IMO.

As for our continued struggles against Auburn even during our recent glory years, I'm at a loss to explain. As good as Saban is, the fact that he is .500 lifetime against the barn is absolutely baffling.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
HTML:
So, our tradition pre-1992 doesn't matter anymore in today's world of college football? Am I understanding you correctly?
Not what he means. The guys that just signed their LOI were born when Shaun Alexander was on campus. Those guys remember USC, Florida, Alabama and LSU winning championships. Many haven't heard of Jay Barker, Copeland, Curry or Teague.

That's where our coaches can do more. Show these guys, especially those from all over the country, what the Crimson jersey means.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
You folks are aware of my unhappiness with Bob Stoops. I sold my season tickets and didn't attend one Sooner game for the first time since 1977. I have to decide soon if I'll sell the again this season.
The entire Sooner Nation was ready to take an a** whipping that night. Why we were able to move the ball against the best defense in America is a mystery. I've said before I would rather have beaten a Bama team that brought their A game. I don't feel they had it that night. It helped our recruiting, but it's over and time to get ready for next season.
Statistically maybe, but we were far far far away from being the best defense in the nation.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Amen. I refuse to accept this premise as well Tommy. History and tradition are intrinsic parts of college football. Once those pieces are thrown out the window, as some seem to be arguing on here in this thread, then we are no longer talking about the same sport IMO.

As for our continued struggles against Auburn even during our recent glory years, I'm at a loss to explain. As good as Saban is, the fact that he is .500 lifetime against the barn is absolutely baffling.
\

Have you heard our players - or any player on any team other than maybe Notre Dame - talk? You can refuse to accept it all you want, but it's reality.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Amen. I refuse to accept this premise as well Tommy. History and tradition are intrinsic parts of college football. Once those pieces are thrown out the window, as some seem to be arguing on here in this thread, then we are no longer talking about the same sport IMO.As for our continued struggles against Auburn even during our recent glory years, I'm at a loss to explain. As good as Saban is, the fact that he is .500 lifetime against the barn is absolutely baffling.
That is what I have been trying to say all along. This is not the college football most of us grew up with and it will never be what it was. You have to accept that those days are gone forever and realize that the typical fan and newest hot recruit have no college football memory prior to the mid 90's.

While I agree that we should be more dominant when playing the barn, I really do not believe that the difference in the two programs right now is that big. Also auburn every year presents a much bigger challenge than Oregon State, Okie Lite, Ga Tech and UCLA.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I think you've at least got to give your staff credit for watching tape and realizing what Bama struggled with and make an all out effort to attack it. That to me takes rocks to basically scrap what you'd been doing all season long and take a risk on installing a new system in less than a month. Give credit where credit is due. Also, no Bama didn't have their "A" game but a lot of that had to do with what OU did so again, give credit where credit is due and hope the OU staff will not forget what they did in that game for the upcoming season.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I think you've at least got to give your staff credit for watching tape and realizing what Bama struggled with and make an all out effort to attack it. That to me takes rocks to basically scrap what you'd been doing all season long and take a risk on installing a new system in less than a month. Give credit where credit is due. Also, no Bama didn't have their "A" game but a lot of that had to do with what OU did so again, give credit where credit is due and hope the OU staff will not forget what they did in that game for the upcoming season.
How many turnovers did Bama have? I would say in this game it's "C" at best, and that is still not saying the Sooners wouldn't have won regardless. They wanted it more. Whatever leadership Bama had on the team prior to the IB, it seemingly disappeared afterwards. This "it's only one game" in regards to the IB was a mistake, because too much was riding on that game. I get that week in and week out, but last game of the year, SEC West championship on the line and a shot at 3 in a row BCSCG, no, I think there was a sense of the team falling off a psychological cliff after the IB. In large part, IMO, because they didn't play with a sense of urgency in that game, and it was even more evident in the SB. JMO

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Go back and read the JessN's review after the Auburn game. He was pretty tough on CNS at the time for not making Auburn more of a "priority game" (my words, not JessN's).

Of course, there was a lot up in the air at that time about "CNS to Texas." Glad that is over with!!!

But the real issue Jess brought up is that the Auburn game falls on our schedule at a place where we can't affort to ever lose to them if we have any "post season" hopes.

I think CNS, might have been fooled by the rivalry, especially after 2008. Even though it took a clutch drive led by GMac at the end of the '09 game, he might have still felt like we were in control of Auburn then. But 2010 should have been the wake up call.

CNS has treated the LSU game like we want him to, but we also wish he'd put Auburn in the same catagory, and I'll say it again, history has proven we can lose to LSU and it not bite us near as bad as losing to Auburn.

And then there is the whole side of living in the state with the Auburn fans that CNS doesn't understand. He's not a part of the fanbase and doesn't have to "put up" with the Barn fans when we lose to them. He's insulated and isolated from that.

So I do like the idea of using our former greats as a resource to remind the players AND CNS about the Auburn rivalry and how much it OUGHT to mean. Surely CNS knows how important it is to win this game in terms of where it falls on the schedule but I'd like for him to have a better understanding of just how important winnning that game is for US too. Perhaps I'm "judging" CNS and perhaps he has a better understanding of the rivalry than we think, but, the "fruits" we judge doesn't seem to suggests the players are being taught to hate all things having to do with the Barn like we wish they would.

And I'll throw this out there too. IF (that's a big if), UT ever gets its act together again, we'll need that generation of players to learn to hate them too.

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
IMO, CNS does not think or operate like that. He is all business, every game should be approached the same way and that is what the staff and players are expected to do. It is hard to argue with 3 NCs in 7 years.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
IMO, CNS does not think or operate like that. He is all business, every game should be approached the same way and that is what the staff and players are expected to do. It is hard to argue with 3 NCs in 7 years.
I agree, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't consider it.

And, despite our 0-2 finish last year and the noticable struggles we had, if we beat Auburn and then take care of business against Mizzu, we have a reasonable shot of the 3 peat and 4 in 5 years!

CNS is not immune to personal growth either.

For the record, I wouldn't want another coach right now, but I think it's a fair critique of his tenure at Bama.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.